Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

All those negative numbers in the TLK

Semi-technical area to discuss content modding research and discoveries. Technical information necessary for coding tools should be posted in Technical Research on the Coders board.

Re: TUTORIAL: Dialogue Editing

Postby TankMaster » 10 Sep 2014, 15:06

I understand, also, you can just move all the strings into the one XML that has includes and just remove the includes, leaving only the <Strings><String> attributes. I guess I never was concerned about splitting them up as I typically just tell the IDE I use to search in the folder vs file by file.

It does work with just one XML file, the splitting was merely something I was toying with; that and so I could put my mod strings into a separate file making the lookup for those easier. What I was doing was splitting the entries up and then just taking those last 4 strings and placing them in the "master" XML file (IE BIOGame_INT.xml). But like you said, since you aren't editing the other localization files, the last 4 entries aren't an issue in this case.

Example:
Spoiler:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<TlkFile id="BIOGame" name="BIOGame_INT" source="BIOGame_INT.tlk">
<Strings>
<String id="134217729">BIOGame</String>
<String id="134217730">en-US</String>
</Strings>
</TlkFile>
TankMaster
User

Have thanks: 64 time

Postby giftfish » 10 Sep 2014, 15:24

@TankMaster -- Oh ok, so it's not required to split up the file? Users can keep everything in the same file without copying stuff over if they wish? Or...no, lol?

Also...what's IDE? No codespeak here, lol. I use simple programs like Notepad++ and stuff >.<

EDIT: Ah..."Integrated Development Environment." I have no clue what that is :D
giftfish

Postby TankMaster » 10 Sep 2014, 15:40

Lol. Yeah, you can have one or more files, the way it works is it goes through each Include. After that, it looks at the strings in the file. In short: Master XML -> Includes -> Strings.

Yeah I use a range of programs, but basically a good example of an IDE is Visual Studio.
TankMaster
User

Postby giftfish » 10 Sep 2014, 17:16

TankMaster wrote:Lol. Yeah, you can have one or more files, the way it works is it goes through each Include. After that, it looks at the strings in the file. In short: Master XML -> Includes -> Strings.

Unfortunately, I still don't understand what you are saying here.

Here's what I'm asking: If I use your TLK Editor to open BIOGame_INT.tlk will it open it as a single xml or as 11 xml files with 10K entries each?
giftfish

Postby TankMaster » 10 Sep 2014, 18:16

It works in a similar fashion as my Coalesce compile and the original TLK Editor. The only difference is, you can split the XML file into several (like it does when going from TLK to XML). The "Master" XML file is the one that has the <Includes></Includes>, if it was a fresh conversion. So if you do not want the XML split up, you can put everything into the "master" XML file and just remove the <Includes></Includes> parts.

I will use the BIOGame_INT.tlk as an example. By default, without renaming the XML file, it will save as BIOGame_INT.xml, this is the "master" XML.

I was going to say it's the XML file with <TlkFIle at the start, but I just realized that even the included XML files start <TlkFile>.

In short, you can have 1 XML file, like the older version. Just has slightly different names for things, and no position properties.

Also, the reason I call it a "master" XML is it's like a master-slave relationship in programming; another comparison would be the "master" XML is a project file and the rest are the source files.
TankMaster
User

Postby giftfish » 10 Sep 2014, 22:35

@TankMaster -- That makes s bit more sense. I guess I'll just have to try it and see. I'm still not clear about the "<includes>" portions since those aren't used in the regular TLK Editor, but I'll be able to get to it relatively soon. Probably next week. I still have to test the new Natives editor, and the changes WV just made to the Conditional Editor, lol. Too much to do! :]
giftfish

Postby TankMaster » 10 Sep 2014, 22:55

Lol, no problem, I appreciate it. Anyways, the <Includes> (in the case of the files I sent, would be in the file BIOGame_INT.xml).

Example from the BIOGame_INT.xml file:
Spoiler:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Includes>
<Include source="BIOGame_INT/BIOGame_INT0.xml" />
<Include source="BIOGame_INT/BIOGame_INT1.xml" />
<Include source="BIOGame_INT/BIOGame_INT2.xml" />
<Include source="BIOGame_INT/BIOGame_INT3.xml" />
<Include source="BIOGame_INT/BIOGame_INT4.xml" />
<Include source="BIOGame_INT/BIOGame_INT5.xml" />
<Include source="BIOGame_INT/BIOGame_INT6.xml" />
<Include source="BIOGame_INT/BIOGame_INT7.xml" />
<Include source="BIOGame_INT/BIOGame_INT8.xml" />
<Include source="BIOGame_INT/BIOGame_INT9.xml" />
<Include source="BIOGame_INT/BIOGame_INT10.xml" />
</Includes>
</TlkFile>

Just replace that with:
Spoiler:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Strings>
</Strings>
</TlkFile>

and copy the strings from the listed files (in order). That will let you have a single XML file (like the previous TLK Editor).
TankMaster
User

Previous

Return to Modders' Research