Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Tutorial: Add custom TFC to a DLC-mod

Made by modders for modders. Step-by-step instructions on how to achieve specific modding goals with ME3Explorer. We *strongly* encourage you to post new tutorials on the wiki.

Re: AVPen Tutorial: Adding custom textures to a DLC-mod

Postby Kinkojiro » 17 Apr 2015, 00:17

Deager wrote:Ah, good sleuthing. So if someone wants to roll with smarteck's entire Citadel DLC pack, they have to really know what they're doing and skip those 12 advertisements...hmmmm. Well, I'm not releasing yet. Still testing CEM Full.

EDIT: So basically. I may go back to my original plan of either a separate download for the texture mod or an option during the install and explaining what it means when you go that route.

No need to go back, Deager. You just have to take the time to add the tfc name to all the pccs you are changing and apply the tfc name to all the texture objects you have changed.
Kinkojiro
Modder

Have thanks: 249 time

Postby Deager » 17 Apr 2015, 01:32

I thought I had a good idea. In hex, just rename CustTextures0...but it's not enough characters for Textures_DLC_EXP_CEMF and TEXTUREGROUP_Shadowmap shows up after it so I don't have space and can't simply adjust the byte size of the file in the header.

But, adding the name and simply doing that for all the instances isn't too bad; all things considered. And it looked like the GUID bit might be more of the paranoid category instead of always needed? Anyway, I'll get to work.
Deager
Modder

Have thanks: 164 time

Postby AVPen » 17 Apr 2015, 06:29

lol, you guys are making me slightly nervous that I somehow f***ed myself or my mod users over by releasing my new Jack/Miranda/Brooks mods recently without this GUID bit.... :? :roll:

Deager wrote:EDIT2: The issue should only be with texplorer/tpf/dds tools, correct? Those using texmod should not have a problem? Or, is that something yet to be tested? Which I'm fine doing if needed. Or I guess I could work through that complicated bit with the GUID stuff and all will be well...in theory?

From what I know of it, using Texmod should still be perfectly fine to use since Texmod only looks for a texture's Hash and not the GUID, correct? (That's why if you used Texmod to replace like, Miranda's uniform texture with the textures of her ME2 loyalty uniform, the textures change through the entire game including the Citadel DLC)

Just as long as the Texmod user isn't using a TPF that replaces a specific texture/s that's already being replaced in the DLC-mod, cause otherwise it'll screw up the custom texture in the mod.
AVPen
Modder

Have thanks: 116 time

Postby Deager » 17 Apr 2015, 12:32

It sounds like the only issue might be, or is, that if someone installs custom textures and includes your DLC in the scan, and the texture to install happens to be later in the scan of a pcc file you have in your mod, tpf/dad's tools will skip the rest of the textures in that pcc file.
Smaller mods have less of a chance of this happening. CEM has a very high chance of this happening.
That's my understanding anyway.

Edit, the God probably isn't the big deal. Instead, not naming the texture in the pcc is the problem. If you added the name of your Texture_DLC etc, and changed to that name for the affected textures, you should be fine.
Deager
Modder

Postby The Fob » 17 Apr 2015, 13:50

Ok, keep in mind, I am not doing any modding atm, so I haven't tested any of it but from what you guys say, it would be good for the next version of texplorer, to ask you what CustTexture0.tfc should be called, every time you add new textures. That way, you can name it after your new DLC form the get go -> It will have the correct name in the pcc files -> Texplorer scan should work properly for DLC with textures added.
Correct?
I am asking 'cause that shouldn't be too difficult to implement. If you can have the script name the file CustTexutres0.tfc, you should be able to give any other name as well and everything will be done right automatically.
The Fob
Modder

Have thanks: 212 time

Postby AVPen » 17 Apr 2015, 16:14

^ That would be an excellent feature to have, I agree.
AVPen
Modder

Postby Deager » 17 Apr 2015, 17:11

I think that is the issue, offer what to name the tfc.

Heh, I love typing from a phone earlier. God was GUID. And KFreon's GUID does look quite random when I've run it a few times, which is perfect. I did confirm (probably) that having the identical GUID as another tfc file does seem to freak out the game. And I suspect 4 groups of 4 bytes being randomly generated and ever matching another is about zero.

EDIT: Also, I want to confirm that I've now installed all of smarteck's Citadel DLC stuff 3 times with my custom textures involved and had no errors reported in the log and every place where my ads are changed are still fine and also it appears all of smarteck's stuff is there too.
Deager
Modder

Postby Kinkojiro » 18 Apr 2015, 04:47

The Fob wrote:Ok, keep in mind, I am not doing any modding atm, so I haven't tested any of it but from what you guys say, it would be good for the next version of texplorer, to ask you what CustTexture0.tfc should be called, every time you add new textures. That way, you can name it after your new DLC form the get go -> It will have the correct name in the pcc files -> Texplorer scan should work properly for DLC with textures added.
Correct?
I am asking 'cause that shouldn't be too difficult to implement. If you can have the script name the file CustTexutres0.tfc, you should be able to give any other name as well and everything will be done right automatically.

This would be handy. But probably just a setting rather than every time. 95% of the texplorer users are not creating dlc mods.

In the meantime it is much better to update the names manually. It takes only a few minutes per pcc and should avoid any issue.
Kinkojiro
Modder

Have thanks: 249 time

Postby AVPen » 25 Apr 2015, 18:27

Updated the tutorial with a new method by Fob for re-pointing the PCC file/s to the new Textures_DLC_CON_dlcname.tfc file - doing this additional method, DLC-mods with custom textures should now be compatible with Texplorer's treescans.
AVPen
Modder

Postby qaskew24 » 01 May 2015, 22:22

Damn, it worked, I really did not thank I did it right. Thanks AVPen for this Tutorial, now if I can make the Upk for HMM_ARM_BOPa.
qaskew24
User

Have thanks: 1 time

Previous

Return to Modders' Tutorials