Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Hello All

New to the community? Come on in and tell us about yourself. Welcome!

Hello All

Postby KingFeraligatr » 04 Feb 2015, 09:39

As one can see by my username, my name is King Feraligatr (I prefer not giving out too much personal information). I am am an American male whose main hobbies are playing video games and modding. Some of the series I am into include Pokemon (obviously), Halo, Mass Effect, Star Wars, and The Elder Scrolls. For some of these series I am done with any further installments (Halo and Mass Effect. Probably Star Wars. More on ME later). Some of the better/best games I've played so far include Morrowind, Skyrim, KOTOR 1 and 2, Mass Effect 1, Planetside 1, Star Wars Battlefront 1 and 2, and so on. Admitably, I haven't played as wide a variety of games as some have, but one day maybe I'll change that. The games I mod(ded) for include(d) Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas (I know, quite a bit of GameBryo experience), KOTOR 2, ME, Halo, and Pokemon, with me releasing mods for Skyrim and Morrowind from time to time (as in VERY rarely). Other things that you might want to know about me: I'm pessimistic, lazy, I'm the Typo Master, have a tendency to post long posts, I'm single and will remain single, don't have much problem liking both old and new games, and anything else I can think of later. But this is a site about Mass Effect. Too bad, you're not getting my Mass Effect feelings in this paragraph :twisted:. Next paragraph.

So, you want my Mass Effect feelings, right. Well, I'll tell you. First and foremost, as judged by my avatar (could have been a Feraligatr, but this is a Mass Effect related site), Garrus Vakarian is my favorite character in the franchise and one of my favorite fictional characters, and it's not just because he's made of pure badassery and awesomeness. I like him so much that Garrus is REQUIRED to survive ANY and ALL playthroughs that I do. If he where to "die" (which is impossible in my games. Man I want to remove all times that Garrus is at risk. Would make things so much easier.), I would just use Gibbed to bring him back (which I haven't needed to do, especially since I'm good at manipulating the suicide mission for my own means). However, I don't feel that way about him (in most runthroughs, I'm a Nomancer, as is in I don't do romances. In fact, I actively avoid them in most playthroughs. I like it better this way and it helps me connect to Shepard better). Too me, Garrus is just Shepard's immortal (but hardly invincible) best friend in most runthroughs (he's always a close friend to Shepard though). I value Garrus and Shepard's bro/bro or bro/sis relationship more than any other relationship that Shepard can have and this is usually the closest relationship Shepard has in most playthroughs. Plus, he always survives (there's no ifs or buts when I talk about Garrus. He always survives. To me, he's pretty much immortal. But as I said, he's hardly an invincible, all defeating guy. Just an extremely badass Turian), so Shepard always has SOMEONE to be close with. While the bro/bro or bro/sis is supported by the games, I don't find that there's enough time to hang out. So headcanon is required to get more time. So besides my long, ranting Garrus gushing, other characters I like include Urdnot Wrex, ME2 Legion, Mordin, and others. But wait, that wasn't much about the games, it was about the characters. I'll provide my possibly ... controversial views on those games next.

As I said, I will provide my views on the games themselves. Note, they can be controversial to some of you, so just a warning. Before I start with ME1, which is my overall favorite and the one where my view doesn't change much (I think ME1 is good), I will tell you my pre-getting into the series. Before I started playing ME, I only remember a few things that I heard. Such as: ME2's suicide mission, that vanilla ME3 had shitty endings (that's an understatement to me now. Thank gosh for MEHEM.), and the Rachni Queen. Everything else, I had to learn by playing or the Internet. So a friend told me last July a reliable place that the ME trilogy could be bought for $10(worth it). I was skeptical, speaking about that I had heard about ME3's bad endings and EA (which I was more indifferent to at the time. ME taught me to despise EA.). So I bought it, got Origin (ugh...), and downloaded ME1. My gosh, let me experience those first hours all over again. The game was immersive, had interesting lore that helped my understanding and let me learn about the universe (something I tend to like), had pretty decent characters (well some where more than decent, like the badasses Wrex and Garrus. The only ME1 team mate that I disliked was Ashley, who got on my nerves), ran pretty well on my otherwise old laptop, and so on. I had the later parts spoiled to me (it always happens. I just accept it), but now when I go back and play them, I appreciate them even more then when I did my first playthrough (Sovereign's speech, the ending; just to name a few). So after I beat ME1, it was off to ME2 (I had already learned more things about ME2 and ME3, I'm never without spoilers). It took me a day and some research to get ME2 working (although ME1 and ME3 worked fine right out of installation). I played ME2, kicked the Collecter's asses, and got an "everyone survives" on my first try (thank you Internet). At the time, I thought ME2 was good as well and was around ME1 is terms of how good it was. Then I moved onto ME3. Before even starting it, I thought the game was a shell of game from what I heard. I saw the shitacular endings on Youtube and decided I was going to spare myself the pain and installed MEHEM (thank you MRFob, and team. Words cannot describe how much better MEHEM is even if storywise, it's just around average. Still better then a lot of ME3, good work. More on mods later). So I played it and thought is was entertaining like the other titles (they still are all entertaining) and besides Kai Lame and the sheer amount of something I like to call "cheap, hamfisted drama", it was decent. MEHEM spared me the usual ME3 player ending remorse for which I am glad. Okay good. Now where's those "controversial views" I was talking about. I think that I should onto another paragraph due how long this one is.

So let's continue with my ME history. After I beat the trilogy the first time, eventually I started looking towards criticisms of the series (in my opinion, this is neccesary for any series you like so as to avoid blind fanboyish/girlism.). What I found where well reasoned (which I usually place more value in) reasons why x or y sucked or was bad in ME2 or ME3. I saw the plots and the like get well deconstructed and it made me change my opinions on ME2 and 3. In the end, only ME1 was able to stand against the storm (which I don't mind. I always liked it). It's gotten to the point where it's hard to play ME2 and especially 3 in good conscience knowing I saw logical reasons why they sucked. ME1 is the only Mass Effect game I can play and NOT feel really any guilt about playing it. I came to the conclusion that ME3 and parts of 2(even if I like some of the lore, stories, characters, etc. that 2 added) shat upon the series negatively and made the entire trilogy just average, ruining it's potential (thanks Bioware and especially EA. I loathe you really much EA). And this happened to me in just months. You people that have been with the series since 2007 or shorter probably feel even more mad and betrayed then I can (that is, if you feel that way). ME3 gets so much bad rep with me, that Garrus and the Rannoch and Tuchanka arcs were among the only good/decent parts of of the vanilla game (I'm fortunate that I'm a Garrus fan. He didn't get very bad in ME3. For you fans of other characters that saw them destroyed, I feel sorry for you. :| ). In terms of non vanilla ME3, I often consider MEHEM with CEM (thank you deager and team!) and Citadel to be best part of ME3 (along with more Garrus time, of course). While my opinion of the games changes constantly, ME1 consistently stays good in my eyes and it stays goes ME1>ME2>ME3. Keep this in mind because I might get more negative (or possibly more positive) about the games as I hear more things. Even the order and my ME1 opinion might change one day. I'm going to finish up my ME history on yet another paragraph (I know, right? :twisted: )

I'm going to finish up my ME thoughts now (it never ends :twisted: ). About the modders, thank you for making ME3 playable. I probably wouldn't even bother to finish ME3 where it not for MEHEM. It changes the endings to what was in my opinion feces to okay. I am not knocking you for this. It's quite the opposite. I appreciate the work that went into it and it manages to make the ending satisfying. It's not your fault that you have deal with Bioware's craptastic writing. The entire game is built on it and cheap, hamfisted drama. Also, thank you for making CEM. Citadel can be quite bad at many times, but it's funny and entertaining bad. You happened to fix one of the biggest problems with it (that it originally takes place when the Reapers are attacking) and make it into a fun-loving epilogue where I have continuous time to keep playing Shepard and and hanging out with his/her crew. It's not perfect, but you're working with what you got. Also thanks to all the other modders/programmers who made the other mods and tools I use. You seem to "get it" more than Bioware at many times. One day I hope to make some personal mods such as buffing teammates in all games (especially Garrus), adding emails to lamely explain the myriad amount of plotholes that the series loves, and so on. I am a modder myself and you got my respect. I am also drafting up concepts for a ME2 and ME3 total rewrite. Basically, I demolished ME2 and 3 canon and only use them as a pool for concepts, characters, ideas, etc. I use ME1 as pretty much the only canon to draw off of and I use my own and others' ideas to make concepts for a possible different direction the series could have taken that I think might have been better. I'll try to upload it when I'm done with it, which given my laziness, could take a long time. Also note, I don't expect the ideas to ever be acted on and it's only a draft, nothing more. I did it for fun since I watched yet another series (one were I gave even more than a dam for some characters and another one where the setting is nice) I like get destroyed. I am sorry to those of you that I offended. I understand that some of you like ME2 and/or ME3, possibly even better than ME1. In fact, I consider a well reasoned ME2 preference to be valid (ME3, not really. Sorry). The later games definitely have some stronger points (mostly ME2) and there's valid things to prefer in each. At the moment, I am maybe feeling the need to distance myself from the series to collect myself. Gosh it felt good to get that all out.

In conclusion (yes more), I'm just more of a drifter that will be more often than not just looking at what you people post. I just wanted a Mass Effect site to discuss the series that doesn't seem like it's the scum of the Earth and get ripped shred to shred for having an opinion. I know my views are a bit strong and be offensive, but I'm not changing my beliefs. I guess I'll be that "ME1 guy", though I'll try not to be annoying. Sorry for the ginormous post, but really, I needed to get my ideas down and vent. This however, can be normal for me. I'll add more as I think of it and if I feel like it. Feel free to respond.
Last edited by KingFeraligatr on 14 Aug 2015, 21:24, edited 1 time in total.
I call myself the Typo Master. So if you see a typo in my posts, I'm sorry.
Link to the forums of my Mass Effect Rewrite: http://kfmerewriteforums.proboards.com/

KingFeraligatr has been thanked by:
KingFeraligatr
User

Have thanks: 14 time

Re: Hello All

Postby Blad3Zer0 » 05 Feb 2015, 01:44

First and foremost, welcome and thank you for posting. It is indeed difficult sometimes to find a community where you can courteously speak your opinion without having it degrade into a shouting match.

Secondly, after reading your post I find numerous parallels between your reasons for your ME related likes and dislikes and my own. Thus I am curious, why is it you're done with any further Halo installments?

Blad3Zer0 has been thanked by:
Blad3Zer0
User

Have thanks: 28 time

Postby KingFeraligatr » 05 Feb 2015, 02:32

About Halo. The reason why I am done with further Halo installments stems mostly from disappointment. When Halo Reach was being released, I remember being very excited and hyped for it. Come time to me buying it, playing it, and reflecting on it, I eventually thought it was a massive disappointment. Don't get me wrong, it was entertaining and pretty fun (well, non campaign modes. The campaign for Reach is bad. Previous Halos had better ones, especially the first.), but but it did not reach my expectations. Perhaps it is my fault for having unrealistic expectations, but the fact of the matter was that it was disappointing. Then Pokemon Black and White came out and also didn't live up to my expectations despite being fun (HeartGold and SoulSilver did, but that may be my Generation 2 nostalgia speaking. :) ). After those two disappointments, I grew jaded on new game releases and am weary of them, which is a sentiment that I share today. I didn't even want Halo 4, but someone got me it for as a gift. Playing it, I realized my low expectations for it and my not wanting it where justified. It was bad, simply put (even though I thought the campaign's story was a bit better than Reach's and that Forge was a bit better. Still, not worth the time for Call of Halo, which is I sort of call Halo 4.), and it further reduced my opinion of new releases. I have other examples, but you get the idea. Simply put, too much betrayals and shattered expectations lead me wary to getting new releases or new games and I pretty much stick to what I know (modding helps! :) ). Only rarely do I try out a new game (such as Mass Effect, which also turned out to be a mixed bag) because of it. So to tie into Halo, it's what I've said. I don't trust new releases or necessarily other games. I'm done ripping myself off. I still play the other games in the series at times (well only Halo 1 for the computer now, speaking that my Xbox 360 is on it's last legs. PC gaming is better in my opinion anyways), bit I'm done. Mass Effect is the same way. I hope that clears some things up (and it gives you more about me. Double win I guess).
Link to the forums of my Mass Effect Rewrite: http://kfmerewriteforums.proboards.com/
KingFeraligatr
User

Postby Blad3Zer0 » 05 Feb 2015, 04:31

It does accomplish both, as a matter of fact. I find that with a number of games released these days I'm more a fan of what they could be/could've been rather than what they are. I think we're a steadily growing number, as well.
Blad3Zer0
User

Have thanks: 28 time

Postby Deager » 19 Feb 2015, 18:52

Hello. Thanks for the nice nod but more importantly, I'm glad you enjoyed CEM. Welcome to the group.
Deager
Modder

Have thanks: 164 time

Postby KingFeraligatr » 13 Mar 2015, 03:44

I've been looking at people's negative opinions on entire series more and more, and it's made me dislike the Mass Effect series A LOT more. The things that they criticize make sense and speaking that I don't like playing games in good conscience knowing that they suck in a certain kind of way, I can't stick around and continue playing these. As soon as I get a hard drive big enough to back up everything I want, I'm uninstalling the series from my computer and removing everything else. I'm still keeping my data on the off chance that I'll come, but I don't know if that will happen or if I even want it to. The series has been fun and entertaining, but now that I know what it really is (a cheap, ripoff sci-fi that stole from many things with a terrible storyline, many flawed mechanics, an awful developer and publisher, shifts all over the place, etc. that really missed its mark), I can't keep doing this. The parting from the good hurts (parts of the setting, some characters, some music, Garrus F*cking Vakarian) and I wish it could be carried over to another game with a more solid foundation. Thank you modders for making the game better and especially making ME3 somewhat bearable and I hope you can make this series better for those who still like the series. My current plan of action is to finish my Galaxy Map Mod for klinko, get rid of the series, play some old games that I keep hearing good things about (old Fallouts, Planescape, Baldur's Gate, etc.), and keep at my TES modding. I can still be found on the Nexus and Steam if you want to get a hold of me. In retrospect, this goodbye was hardly necessary, but speaking that I was a bit involved here during the last month, I figure I'd say goodbye. And I guess this is my announcement of goodbye to the series. There may be a chance that I'll post here again or get back into the series, but I doubt either will happen and I have to put the series in the past and move on. As always, feel free to inquire more.

(P.S. Yes, this means ME1 sucks to me now (more like it's decent at best). ME2 = undecided but lower than ME1 and ME3= POS)
(And yes, my Mass Effect rewrite idea is now dead in the water. Meh, it sucked anyways and was always an excise in futility. Plus, my laziness)
KingFeraligatr
User

Postby JunkoXan » 13 Mar 2015, 17:20

>_> i'll always enjoy it, I just don't listen to the neg's as my own review is more important than someone else. as for the project, that was requiring quite a bit of work to connect the loose ends, usually it's best to leave such loose ends alone (for frustration purposes).
JunkoXan
User

Have thanks: 15 time

Postby KingFeraligatr » 27 May 2015, 05:11

I'm back. And after a MUCH shorter timeframe than I thought I would. As it turned out, my Mass Effect "hate" streak was doing me harm than good, so I relapsed on my feelings on ME1 and ME2. This means I have returned to enjoying ME1 and 2 as extremely guilty pleasures. They're objectively bad, but I figure as long as I realize that they're bad and that I'm aware of their faults, I can still enjoy them. ME3 though is still a low and a dislike for me. I actually relapsed around earlier this month I think and only didn't say anything about all the cool progress on modding and mods that I saw for the dumb reason of "keeping up appearances". Hopefully I'm back for good and I can get back to testing and commenting on mods. I know no one cares about me returning and I've earned some peoples' ire for throwing a scene, and I'm sorry for the melodrama.
KingFeraligatr
User

Return to Introductions