Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

ME2 crashes with shorter loading mod

We don't provide mod support; that's the mod author's job. Contact them with questions, first. If they are no longer supporting the mod, you may ask here, but there's no guarantee of an answer.

ME2 crashes with shorter loading mod

Postby daninthemix » 05 Jul 2015, 16:13

So I'm using this mod: http://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files ... g-screens/

Which has saved me hours over the course of my current playthrough, but appears to cause crashes in two places that I've discovered so far:

- exiting Kasumi's mission by shuttle
- exiting the Shadow Broker base

The latter is a bigger problem because you return to that base frequently. Did some experiments and I can't pin it down to a single bad file, but certainly when the original files are in place, there's no crash. And if I run the game with the -nomoviestartup parameter, there's no crash (but that causes problems on the Citadel, and elsewhere).

Was wondering if someone with the time, knowledge and inclination might want to look into it :)
daninthemix
User

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: ME2 crashes with shorter loading mod

Postby CreeperLava » 05 Jul 2015, 16:40

Have you tried directly contacting the author of the mod ? You could try searching for alternatives otherwise http://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect2/mo ... chresults/? . From what I saw there are at least 2 mods that do the same as yours on Nexus.
CreeperLava
User

Have thanks: 83 time

Postby Deager » 05 Jul 2015, 17:34

daninthemix wrote:So I'm using this mod: http://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files ... g-screens/

Which has saved me hours over the course of my current playthrough, but appears to cause crashes in two places that I've discovered so far:

The latter is a bigger problem because you return to that base frequently. Did some experiments and I can't pin it down to a single bad file, but certainly when the original files are in place, there's no crash. And if I run the game with the -nomoviestartup parameter, there's no crash (but that causes problems on the Citadel, and elsewhere).

Was wondering if someone with the time, knowledge and inclination might want to look into it :)

This one, load_f01.bik, creates the problem for the Shadow Broker base for me all the time. I either don't replace it or just make sure to replace it when I know I'll be going to the base and then leaving.
Deager
Modder

Have thanks: 164 time

Postby daninthemix » 05 Jul 2015, 17:50

Deager wrote:
daninthemix wrote:So I'm using this mod: http://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files ... g-screens/

This one, load_f01.bik, creates the problem for the Shadow Broker base for me all the time. I either don't replace it or just make sure to replace it when I know I'll be going to the base and then leaving.

I tried experimenting with just that file and sometimes it fixes it, sometimes it doesn't. I think the loading screen selected is somewhat random, and only by leaving all the common ones as default do you guarantee it won't crash. But then you don't save yourself any time!
daninthemix
User

Postby daninthemix » 06 Jul 2015, 11:31

Whelp, forget all this because even with default loading screens it seems to crash sometimes. Guess the DLC is just plain buggy. Thankfully we have -nomoviestartup to get us through it.
daninthemix
User

Postby The Fob » 06 Jul 2015, 14:05

I actually doubt it's that movies themselves. In my experience, you can just replace them with whatever you want. For example, since I rather like to keep the loading movies but make them shorter, I use RAD tools to double the speed of some of the more frequent movies. That way, you can keep them but still save time. If the original mod does not work for you, maybe try and just make new shorter movies yourself with RAD tools (it's free).
The Fob
Modder

Have thanks: 212 time

Postby giftfish » 06 Jul 2015, 14:17

The Fob wrote:I actually doubt it's that movies themselves. In my experience, you can just replace them with whatever you want. For example, since I rather like to keep the loading movies but make them shorter, I use RAD tools to double the speed of some of the more frequent movies. That way, you can keep them but still save time. If the original mod does not work for you, maybe try and just make new shorter movies yourself with RAD tools (it's free).

Ha, I like this idea.

I downloaded that mod before my present ME2 PT and as I did a comparison, I didn't like some of the sections the author cut out. So, I ended up not using several of the new BIKs. I was thinking I could do custom cuts myself sometime in the future, but didn't really want to take the time to convert into AVI, edit everything in VideoStudio, etc. If RAD Tools can just do a quick speed increase with the vanilla BIKs that's ideal. Thanks!
giftfish

Postby The Fob » 06 Jul 2015, 14:59

Yep, it can, just took me a bit of time to find where to do it. Just click in "Bink it!", then look for the section "Input Video settings" -> "Frame rate control (fractional frame rates ok)". The first option there says "Force (no adding or removing) to:" In there, you can set the new frame rate at which you want the video to run. The original frame rate is 30, so if you set this option to 60, you effectively double the speed of the video. Don't change anything else, just run it and use the new file -> Done.
It can look a bit weird in game at first but you'll get used to it. I use it for the shuttle landing/take off and the airlock loading scenes 'cause they are the most common and the most annoyingly long ones. As for load_f01.bik and RealNum.bik, I still replacethose two with a 1 sec black screen because I don't think they add anything to the game at all.

Don't forget to make backups! ;)
The Fob
Modder

Have thanks: 212 time

Postby Deager » 06 Jul 2015, 16:23

I agree that I can't see why the movies would be a problem, but basically, if load_f01.bik is replaced with the ME2 logo one...I crash out every time. Original movie, no problem. Makes no sense to me but it's such an easy work-around I've never cared.

Also, I've been too lazy to do your method Fob but the thought completely crossed my mind. :)
Deager
Modder

Have thanks: 164 time

Return to Other People's Stuff