Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Fixing DDS format, quality loss

Area for texture-specific, modding-related discussion. Topics that involve models/meshes/actors go in the mesh area. As with other non-toolset related content, answers not guaranteed.

Re: Fixing DDS format, quality loss

Postby CreeperLava » 23 Jul 2015, 15:12

I tried Paint.NET. Either I am doing something wrong, or the program is not very good. I get this strange image when I open the DDS in Paint.NET, similarly to something giftfish had seen if I remember well :
Spoiler:

When I save it in DXT1, I get a black image. So, yeah... Guess I'll stay with Photoshop for now^^. Where can I get your DDS/Texture Tools ? Somewhere in your signature ? If it can convert DDS' easily, I'll surely give it a try^^.
CreeperLava
User

Have thanks: 83 time

Postby KFreon » 23 Jul 2015, 20:32

Yeah my signature has the old stuff. To clarify though, they aren't mine. I just smooshed them all together.

That image is due to the alpha channel too. Paint.NET doesn't like them :( I thought GIMP handled those properly though, but I haven't tried in ages.
KFreon
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 520 time

Postby giftfish » 23 Jul 2015, 22:16

KFreon wrote:That image is due to the alpha channel too. Paint.NET doesn't like them :( I thought GIMP handled those properly though, but I haven't tried in ages.

Nope -- at least not all the time. About half of the face textures I open I can't edit due to this problem. No idea why some work and some don't. I even upgraded to the latest version of GIMP in hopes of fixing it (which borked some of my plugins), and the new version isn't any better.
giftfish

Postby prince1142011 » 23 Jul 2015, 22:44

I've been playing around with ImageMagick lately and have found a surefire way of dealing with the alpha channel. What I do is export the DXT5 DDS as a TGA, then use ImageMagick to remove the alpha channel. The current release has a bug with converting DDS files, but there is a fix planned for the next release. That will make the intermediate step unnecessary - convert directly from DDS to PNG and remove the alpha channel. Edit the PNG, then use directx SDK (or even ImageMagick, haven't tested) to convert back. If you're not going to edit the texture, just convert from DDS to DDS while removing the alpha channel in the intermediate process.

prince1142011 has been thanked by:
prince1142011
User

Have thanks: 8 time

Postby KFreon » 24 Jul 2015, 06:09

@prince: ImageMagik was going to be the base of the image library, but I had a bunch of issues with it, mostly with V8U8 and a few others, so I went with ResIL.
Might have been a poor choice...
KFreon
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 520 time

Previous

Return to Texture Discussion