Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Good Morning from New Zealand

New to the community? Come on in and tell us about yourself. Welcome!

Good Morning from New Zealand

Postby delooze » 03 Aug 2015, 14:14

Hello all,

My name is Jules and I'm 21 years old and currently living in New Zealand.

I've only just joined the forums but have been lurking around for months trying to gather information and learn. While I don't have much experience with modding, programming and the like, I have put a lot of time into playing Mass Effect and it's my favorite game series by far.

I have a lot of extensive modding goals that will involve alterations to ME1-3 audio, textures, text/dialog, and more. (Whether or not this is even possible isn't something I've figured out entirely yet!) Right now I'm spending my free time trying to learn the basics of modding, especially ME1 modding. It's a steep learning curve! If you have any good resources, links or tutorials, please send them my way.

I'm glad to see that the Mass Effect modding community is still active and I look forward to speaking more with all of you!

delooze has been thanked by:
delooze
User

Have thanks: 1 time

Re: Good Morning from New Zealand

Postby CreeperLava » 03 Aug 2015, 14:24

Welcome ! It's always a pleasure to see new members arrive. If you want information, this would be the good place to start for general knowledge of how ME and toolset work : http://me3explorer.wikia.com/wiki/ME3Explorer_Wiki.
CreeperLava
User

Have thanks: 83 time

Postby Heff » 03 Aug 2015, 15:16

Welcome aboard! Nice to see new faces with new goals, helps with the motivation for everyone :).
Modding these game are indeed quite the challenge, and a lot of knowledge is sadly not written down at the moment. Besides the wiki / old threads you could hop into the chat to see if anyone's there that might be able to help.
Heff
Coder

Have thanks: 61 time

Postby The Fob » 03 Aug 2015, 21:22

Welcome to the boards. Looks like the southern Hemisphere is really well represented here. :)

You said you wanted to start by modding ME1. It all depends on what exactly you want to do but especially if you intend to do extensive modding that goes beyond textures, I would recommend to start learning with ME3. It is by far the one that is best researched. Most tutorials are for ME3 and most of the tools we have work best (or are only available for ME3).
ME2 has a structure, which is very similar to ME3 and by learning about ME3, you will also get a good understanding about ME2 (although, we don't have quite as many tools for ME2).
ME1's structure is a bit different and far more similar to the original Unreal Engine. It is the game for which we ahve the least amount of tools but it can be modded in a limited way and with enough time and patience.

However, before going there, I think it would beneficial to do some less frustrating work on the later games, just to get a handle on the data structure of ME in particular and UE games in general. Start with small projects or follow the examples that are given in most tutorials in the tutorial section. The advantage of taking it slow and steady is that more often, you'll be able to see the result of your work in the game, which will probably put a smile on your face and is definitely better than getting frustrated by trying too much at once.

Good luck and just post if you need help with any specifics. Looking forward to seeing your mods. :)
The Fob
Modder

Have thanks: 212 time

Return to Introductions