Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Fixing DDS files with Photoshop

Area for texture-specific, modding-related discussion. Topics that involve models/meshes/actors go in the mesh area. As with other non-toolset related content, answers not guaranteed.

Fixing DDS files with Photoshop

Postby bombchu » 27 Oct 2015, 19:58

Hello :)

I've been attempting to fix the format/mipmap issues of Texmod tpfs using the Nvidia dds plugin for Photoshop. It seems like it would be very simple. I use me3explorer to define the validity problems and then load the invalid files into Photoshop and save them with the correct format, allowing the program to generate mipmaps. There are a lot of options when saving, but I only adjust the ones that I need to to validate the texture. When I load my "fixed" textures into the dds tool and analyze them it says they're all valid, but when I try to install them it always get's stuck at the "replacing" phase on the first texture. Does anyone know why this would happen if Texplorer reads them as valid? My assumption is that something isn't set right in the PS save settings, but I don't have a clue what to set differently. I've looked for a way to see the details of the original dds so that I could mimic them when saving to a new format, but I can't see a way to do that.

Does anyone know the correct Photoshop save settings? Or perhaps an easier way to fix the files for me3explorer installation?

bombchu
User

Have thanks: 1 time

Re: Fixing DDS files with Photoshop

Postby CreeperLava » 27 Oct 2015, 21:18

If you're using rev717 or 718, my guess would be for wrong MIPS generation in PS. ME3 DDS textures can have pretty uncommon MIPS count, where you could find eg 64x64 32x32 16x16 4x4 4x4 4x4 instead of the "normal" 64x64 32x32 16x16 4x4 2x2 1x1. Also possible would be the case where there is one MIPS more or less than what you would think normal, no MIPS at all (eg squad selection screen textures), etc...
If you want an easy way to fix these files, just use the autofix functionality built into me3explorer (it's a menu option in TPF/DDS Tools). It will fix everything for you.
If you still want to use Photoshop, you'll have to calculate the exact MIPS count for your files (deduce it from Texplorer) and enter this number into PS.

And don't use rev718 if you are using it right now, it will only cause problems^^.
CreeperLava
User

Have thanks: 83 time

Postby bombchu » 28 Oct 2015, 00:47

Thanks for the reply :)

The autofix function always fails for me no matter which rev I'm using, but I found a solution. Warranty Voider has some tools listed in the ME3Explorer mod thread so I downloaded them and they work perfectly. Well, I should say that the textures seem to have installed perfectly. I haven't actually booted up the game to check, but I'm sure it's all good.
bombchu
User

Postby bombchu » 28 Oct 2015, 00:57

Pardon me, I found the link in KFreon's TPF Tools tutorial thread. Sorry, I've read a lot of threads today :/
bombchu
User

Postby CreeperLava » 28 Oct 2015, 07:13

Nice ! Could you link these tools ? They might be useful for me too.
Also, what error is displayed in the debug log when you autofix ?
CreeperLava
User

Have thanks: 83 time

Postby bombchu » 28 Oct 2015, 20:26

Here are the tools:
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/37301843/Extra%20DDS%20Programs.7z

I found them at the bottom of this thread:
http://me3explorer.freeforums.org/tutorial-tpf-dds-tools-3-0-t1428.html

I used the 'DxTex.exe' in the 'PortableDirectX' folder and easily converted surface formats and generated mipmaps in just a few seconds.

Regarding autofix... in the older revs I just get text that says "Autofix Failed" beside the thumbnail. With the newer revs the debug window will read something like "FORMAT -> Current: DDS_DXT3 Expected: DXT5 - MIPS -> Current: 1 Expected: 9" and the info bar at the bottom will say it's fixing, but it never makes progress. I've left it for hours and never see even a sliver of green in the progress bar. I guess it's not a huge deal since I can now easily fix them manually, but it would be nice to be able to do it with a click.
bombchu
User

Return to Texture Discussion