Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Texture Creation Question (ME2)

Area for texture-specific, modding-related discussion. Topics that involve models/meshes/actors go in the mesh area. As with other non-toolset related content, answers not guaranteed.

Texture Creation Question (ME2)

Postby AlleluiaElizabeth » 22 Dec 2015, 05:43

Hi.

So, I found some files for a Samara retexture (source: here) that I would really like to use in ME2. I know this is the ME3Explorer forums, but since ME2explorer is a related program, I am hoping someone can help me. I'm kinda of a complete n00b with this stuff.

First, the maker of the render I linked says on their page s/he's fine with someone making this into a mod, so I have permission.

Secondly, the textures, I think, are already made. When I downloaded the files s/he provided it gave me the following files:

My question is how do I translate these into a mod for ME2?
Last edited by AlleluiaElizabeth on 22 Dec 2015, 06:46, edited 1 time in total.
AlleluiaElizabeth
User

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Texture Creation Question (ME2)

Postby AlleluiaElizabeth » 22 Dec 2015, 05:45

Double Post
Last edited by AlleluiaElizabeth on 22 Dec 2015, 06:48, edited 1 time in total.
AlleluiaElizabeth
User

Postby AlleluiaElizabeth » 22 Dec 2015, 05:52

Also, here is a look at the thumbnail view of those same files, in case this helps anyone.

AlleluiaElizabeth
User

Postby CreeperLava » 22 Dec 2015, 10:42

Wow, that's a nice retexture indeed. FYI, me3explorer and me2explorer are built by the same team, they are essentially the same thing.
What you need to do first, is rename the image files to something like 'xxx_hash', where hash is the ID of the texture. You can find the hash by searching for the texture's name in Texplorer (me3explorer > User Tools > Texplorer).
Then just open me3explorer > User Tools > TPF/DDS Tools and click on the up right button until it displays "Modding ME2". Load your textures in TPF/DDS, click 'Analyse with Texplorer', click 'Autofix' and 'Install Valid'.
You'll probably want to use rev717 to do that.
CreeperLava
User

Have thanks: 83 time

Postby eezonaut » 22 Dec 2015, 19:28

As far as I can tell, these outfit textures won't work with Samara's game model as they are not mapped to that model (I believe they are mapped to Aria's model). The artist may have attached Samara's head to Aria's body using external 3D modeling tools to produce the renders at the linked source.
eezonaut
User

Have thanks: 4 time

Postby AlleluiaElizabeth » 22 Dec 2015, 20:52

eezonaut wrote:As far as I can tell, these outfit textures won't work with Samara's game model as they are not mapped to that model (I believe they are mapped to Aria's model). The artist may have attached Samara's head to Aria's body using external 3D modeling tools to produce the renders at the linked source.

Ok, how do I map it to Samara's model, then?

CreeperLava wrote:Wow, that's a nice retexture indeed. FYI, me3explorer and me2explorer are built by the same team, they are essentially the same thing.
What you need to do first, is rename the image files to something like 'xxx_hash', where hash is the ID of the texture. You can find the hash by searching for the texture's name in Texplorer (me3explorer > User Tools > Texplorer).
Then just open me3explorer > User Tools > TPF/DDS Tools and click on the up right button until it displays "Modding ME2". Load your textures in TPF/DDS, click 'Analyse with Texplorer', click 'Autofix' and 'Install Valid'.
You'll probably want to use rev717 to do that.

I know right? :D

The "image files" you mention just being the PNGs, right? I don't know what tga and dds files are.
AlleluiaElizabeth
User

Postby CreeperLava » 22 Dec 2015, 21:54

TGA, PNG and DDS are 3 different image types. You probably need all 3 of them. You should activate the option to always display file extensions in windows explorer, too. I don't know how you can live without it^^.
CreeperLava
User

Have thanks: 83 time

Postby eezonaut » 23 Dec 2015, 05:33

AlleluiaElizabeth wrote:
eezonaut wrote:As far as I can tell, these outfit textures won't work with Samara's game model as they are not mapped to that model (I believe they are mapped to Aria's model). The artist may have attached Samara's head to Aria's body using external 3D modeling tools to produce the renders at the linked source.

Ok, how do I map it to Samara's model, then?

I don't believe you can. What you could do is replace Samara's model with Aria's in the game, which will allow you to use the modded Aria texture, but I'm afraid that process is beyond my knowhow.

If you're lucky, someone with mesh replacement experience might see your thread and help out, or if you can find a mod author who has done something similar with another ME2 character, you could try contacting them for guidance.
eezonaut
User

Have thanks: 4 time

Postby AlleluiaElizabeth » 24 Dec 2015, 15:55

Thanks for the help. :)
AlleluiaElizabeth
User

Return to Texture Discussion