It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:05 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to me3explorer

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 9 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: TUTORIAL: Installing .mod files
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:57 pm 

Have thanks: 10 time
Hello gamers! Here I'll be covering how to install .mod files, which is the format ME3Explorer packages mod jobs in, such as high resolution textures.

The advantage of installing high res textures via .mod files in ME3Explorer over .tpf files in TexMod is that you only need to do it once and thereafter you can launch Mass Effect 3 directly via masseffect3.exe or through Origin. You'll have one less program running in the background and you'll have minimal wait time launching the game as opposed to TexMod's wait times.

To download some .mods, please peruse the following pages:
Wiki listing: http://me3explorer.wikispaces.com/ME3Ex ... .mod+Files
Forum listing: modmaker-files-compilation-me3-hr-textures-t310.html#p2119

You will need ME3Explorer to install the .mod files. Please download it here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/me3explorer/

Go ahead and install ME3Explorer. It need not be installed in the Mass Effect 3 install directory.

Before we begin, it's important that you back up some Mass Effect 3 files. ME3Explorer does not affect game saves or other Mass Effect 3 files except the ones listed below. You will need to backup all the files that the tool uses. ME3Explorer does not have any undo, revert or backup features, so you must have a backup prepared in the case that something goes wrong.
I suggest creating the backup folder within the ME3Explorer install directory.
In the Origin Games\Mass Effect 3\BioGame directory, backup PCConsoleTOC.bin and PCConsoleTOC.txt.
Next, in Origin Games\Mass Effect 3\BIOGame\CookedPCConsole, backup ALL *.pcc files and all *.tfc files. Word of advice: do a search within the folder for the file types, select all and copy them to your backup folder.

Now that you have backed up the files, we can begin. Open ME3Explorer. Under Tools, go to Mod Maker.

TO INSTALL A SINGLE MOD:
  1. Go to File, Load Jobs. Navigate to and select the .mod file you would like to install.
  2. Go to Run, Run all. Wait for ME3Explorer to finish; there will be an alert box notifying you.
  3. Launch the game!

TO INSTALL MULTIPLE MODS:
  1. Go to Jobs, Add jobs to list and select a .mod you'd like to install.
  2. Repeat as necessary for all the mods you'd like to install. If you add too many mods, ME3Explorer will crash due to limited memory. It also takes quite a while to install all the mods and it can waste your time if one of the mods ends up being buggy; you will have to start the whole process over. Therefor it's a good idea to limit the number you add, especially for large mods like locations.
  3. Go to Run, Run all. Wait for ME3Explorer to finish; there will be an alert box notifying you.
  4. Launch the game!

Depending on how many mods you wish to install, it can take quite a while. If you keep on top of it you can get all the .mod files available at this time installed in about a day.

Happy modding!

Post subject: Re: TUTORIAL: Installing .mod files: About Alert Messages
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:10 pm 

Have thanks: 10 time
Sometimes when you are installing .mod files, you will receive alert messages indicating something's gone wrong. Here I will provide information I have learned about these messages, and what to do about them:

An error occurred while running mods: Could not find file [file name] _LOC_ITA.pcc'.
This is a localization-related complication. According to ME3Explorer administrator saltisgood,
    saltisgood wrote:
    Just in case anyone's still unsure about the localisation stuff I'll post here what I told Fog.Gene. First of all, people in different countries can have different filenames to other people. Normally it's not such a big deal but when sharing mod files that work by the filename it is. The only differences are with the files that have "...LOC_INT.pcc" at the end. This is an example for an English speaking country but as I said it will change for other countries. If you're unsure of your extension just have a look in your CookedPC folder. At the moment ME3Explorer doesn't check for localisation when running mods and that may be something to add for the future but at the moment it will just throw file not found errors.

To stop this from happening we can change the script that the mod executes when run. Here's how you do it:

First you need to open up the mod in the previewer/ editor thingo. Right-click on the mod in the list in the ModMaker tool and hit preview. Then you'll be able to see the script and data. Scroll through the code until you find a line that has ...LOC_ITA.pcc (or whatever the problem extension is) in it. If there's a line above or below that has an identical filename except for the ITA then you can safely delete or comment out the ITA line. So either delete the whole line or put // before it. If there's not an identical filename then just change the ITA extension to your local one. So for English speakers it's INT.

You only need to do the list in the function that actually gets called in the script. As you'll see there's 2 functions inside of it: AddImage() and RemoveTex(). There's also the RunScript() function that gets called when the script starts. Look in the RunScript and check which is being called (it should also be pretty obvious from the name of the mod).

Once you're done just save the changes and run it.
    saltisgood wrote:
    Just a quick correction to the localisation fix mentioned in the OP. That method works fine for the older styles of mod files, which I'll call the last generation. The current generation files are slightly different and so require a slightly different method. The way to tell the difference is that the newer version scripts no longer create separate methods or generate the list twice, and it also contains an int list rather than just a string list. You can follow the steps above and renaming a filename should work fine with no modifications to the existing method. However, if you're removing an entry you need to remove it's corresponding export id from the int list. Otherwise the export ids will get mixed up and it will throw a bunch of errors when loading different files. So if the filename you're removing is the 5th to be added to the pccs list also remove the 5th integer from the IDs list.

Last edited by Pawper on Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Pawper has been thanked by:

Post subject: Re: TUTORIAL: Installing .mod files
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:58 pm 

Have thanks: 237 time
Thanks for this, linking to this from my thread on the BSN =)

Ottemis has been thanked by:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:47 am 

Have thanks: 7 time
Any idea how to create .mod files? I have several .tpf files that are just waiting to become permanent replacements.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:57 am 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 154 time
^Check out the Texplorer tutorial. Basically you rip the textures from the .tpf files and then use them in the Texplorer to replace the textures in the game files. If you're in ModMaker Mode the .mod file will be automatically generated for you.

Just a quick correction to the localisation fix mentioned in the OP. That method works fine for the older styles of mod files, which I'll call the last generation. The current generation files are slightly different and so require a slightly different method. The way to tell the difference is that the newer version scripts no longer create separate methods or generate the list twice, and it also contains an int list rather than just a string list. You can follow the steps above and renaming a filename should work fine with no modifications to the existing method. However, if you're removing an entry you need to remove it's corresponding export id from the int list. Otherwise the export ids will get mixed up and it will throw a bunch of errors when loading different files. So if the filename you're removing is the 5th to be added to the pccs list also remove the 5th integer from the IDs list.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:14 am 

Have thanks: 5 time
Pawper wrote:
Sometimes when you are installing .mod files, you will receive alert messages indicating something's gone wrong. Here I will provide information I have learned about these messages, and what to do about them:
An error occurred while running mods: Could not find file [file name] _LOC_ITA.pcc'.

Didn't encounter that particular error, but something else on my end just now:

Quote:
Script Compiler
Line: 0 Column: 0
(CS0016)
Could not write to output file
'c:\Users\<username>\Local\Temp\5c0xjtxp.dll' -- 'Access Denied'

.dll-file referenced there is different for each entry contained in a .mod-file, and once OK'ed out of it installation finishes successfully regardless. A tad annoying when installing a greater number of .mods, but otherwise things appear to work in-game (excepting one or two .mods where I didn't see any particular difference; may just have to re-install those, though, I suppose).

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:59 am 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 516 time
can you please tell me which mod files contains a dll?! that doesnt sound legit...

"I tried everything!" - "mkay, please list that..." ; please dont pm me for help, we have a help section

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:21 pm 

WarrantyVoider wrote:
can you please tell me which mod files contains a dll?! that doesnt sound legit...

Was perusing Randy's collection of repacks here:
http://me3explorer.wikispaces.com/ME3Explorer%3EModMaker%3EPublished+.mod+Files

as well as Ottemis's .mod-repacks:
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/368/index/16260765

As I said, ultimately not a big deal, just requires closing that window continuously popping up and installation proceeds anyway.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:32 pm 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 516 time
not a big deal? a dll can contain any code, so malicous stuff too, can you tell me which file in particular you used?

"I tried everything!" - "mkay, please list that..." ; please dont pm me for help, we have a help section

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:31 pm 

Okay, I think I may rightfully call myself a doofus for not trying this earlier...

Matter of making it run loaded jobs properly on my end was merely one of running ME3Ex as administrator, works in-game now. May have to look into relocating ME3's game-directory to outside of Program Files - ran into a similar issue regarding Steam, and doing that there 'fixed' the issue too -, but this should do for now, too.

Regardless, thanks for the help via PM-correspondence, WV!

Page 1 of 9 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next