Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Add an alpha to a DXT1 texture

Area for texture-specific, modding-related discussion. Topics that involve models/meshes/actors go in the mesh area. As with other non-toolset related content, answers not guaranteed.

Add an alpha to a DXT1 texture

Postby CreeperLava » 12 Feb 2016, 21:37

I hope I post in the right section^^.

I want to add an alpha to a DXT1 texture, but the problem I am having is that my resulting files are always entirely black in all ARGB layers. I use Photoshop and tried to tweak the settings of the nvidia DDS plugin, but to no avail. The alpha itself is fine (black and white only) and should work without problems with a DXT1 1 bit alpha format. If someone already has experience with this matter, please enlighten me, as I am very lost^^.

The said texture, in DXT5 format : http://filebin.ca/2Wkoikij5sAW

Note that trying to autofix this texture does kinda work, but the resulting alpha is all white, which may or may not be a bug with me3explorer.
CreeperLava
User

Have thanks: 83 time

Re: Add an alpha to a DXT1 texture

Postby giftfish » 13 Feb 2016, 00:43

@Creeper -- Ha. I'm going to move this to Textures and Meshes, since that's what it is. I'm trying to make sure all that stuff is together so it's easier to scan through threads and look for solutions.

Don't worry, that area will be kept in some form, so this thread will remain available.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Postby KFreon » 13 Feb 2016, 08:01

There'll be a little option somewhere in the Photoshop save area which asks what format you want the DXT1 to be.
You need to make sure the DXT1 version you pick has alpha. One does, one doesn't.
KFreon
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 520 time

Postby CreeperLava » 13 Feb 2016, 08:24

I know, it's with the 1 bit alpha DXT1 format that the texture goes all black. The other one doesn't have any issue (obviously), but there is no alpha either (obviously).
CreeperLava
User

Postby KFreon » 13 Feb 2016, 21:12

Ok just wanted to make sure :)
Don't know then I'm afraid.
KFreon
Toolset Developer

Postby CreeperLava » 13 Feb 2016, 21:33

No worries, I found a solution thanks to CDAMJC. His steps are the following :
Step one:
Download the compressonator (a handy texture tool from AMD which I think was used extensively by the ME devs)
http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-sdks ... essonator/

Step 2:
Install

Step 3:
Make it the default program to open .dds files.
You may need to reboot your PC for step 4 to show up.

Step 4:
Right click the .dds file, there should be a new option in the windows right click menu "Convert to file format..." click it

Step 5:
Under the "pixel format" change your DXT5 to DXT1 from the menu and the click "OK" and agree to overwrite. That's it you now have a DXT1 with an alpha. Crazy but it works!

I have had to use the compressonator's "convert to file format..." in the past but this one is cool. It's a very handy tool and can covert and re-size (I only recommend re-sizing down with it) textures instantly unlike Photoshop or Gimp which take a while.

I didn't have much luck with this method, what I did is use the compressonator GUI directly :
1. Load a texture in the Compressonator
2. In the middle dropdown menu, select DirectX Texture Compression, click Compress
3. Click DXT1. If you don't actually click it, the right pane will stay grayed out.
4. In the right pane, select Use Alpha Channel, move the below pointer to get a Threshold of exactly 1
5. Click Compress, then go into File > Save Compressed
Done. Hope that helps :).
CreeperLava
User

Postby KFreon » 14 Feb 2016, 03:53

Interesting requirements...
I didn't realise the Photoshop and GIMP plugins didn't do that already.
KFreon
Toolset Developer

Postby CreeperLava » 14 Feb 2016, 08:15

GIMP plugins are not very good for DDS', from my experience. Photoshop is the best, but on that precise matter, I wasn't able to get it to save a DXT1 with an alpha, as opposed to Compressonator. Might be interesting to add that to autofix, as for now the autofixed alpha is plain white.
CreeperLava
User

Postby giftfish » 14 Feb 2016, 16:09

KFreon wrote:Interesting requirements...
I didn't realise the Photoshop and GIMP plugins didn't do that already.

This might be why I have issues with lots of DXT5 textures being "see through" in GIMP. The texture is there but it's basically transparent event at 100% opacity. if the toolset isn't doing this type of thing when it extracts the texture from the game/TPF, then that could be the cause. It might also be involved in the weird normal extraction issue I reported recently.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Return to Texture Discussion