Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Brainstorming for new "Feature Articles"

Help build and maintain the new ME3Explorer Wiki on Wikia.

Brainstorming for new "Feature Articles"

Postby giftfish » 19 Feb 2016, 18:19

NEW FEATURE ARTICLES

Okay, so, we've talked about this idea just a little bit here in the State of the Toolset/Forum overhaul thread.

As I continue to work through the Toolset Help forums and pull threads into different locations, we see some of the same questions asked over and over again. So, the idea is to wrangle information related to these questions together, and get it posted on the Wiki. For the most part, these would be placed into the "User Resources" area in the home page TOC.

FYI, we have two articles of this type already present: Mod Formats and Textures in Mass Effect. The new articles should be of a similar nature. They aren't tutorials, per se, b/c they don't provide step-by-step details on how to do anything. Instead, they are just informational articles. Resources for users to read, rather than having to resort to Google or forum searching, or, of course, asking the same question on the forum repeatedly.

Here's the ideas I've had so far:

• Toolset Modding: What's possible?
  • Troubleshooting: General Issues
  • Troubleshooting: Meshes and Textures
  • Troubleshooting: DLC Mods

Toolset modders and admins should have some very good ideas on what types of articles are needed. Any questions you get repeatedly? That's the type of info we want to make sure is included on the wiki.

BUT.

One of the more difficult things is to keep in mind is that we don't want to create redundant content. Right now we have a Troubleshooting article that probably needs to be split up into multiple documents. We also have FAQs associated with each toolset article. And, we have the two existing articles. I'm not saying that these can't be edited in the context of the new articles, we just have to be aware that we're not repeating information unnecessarily. Always link to other articles, rather than repeat information. It keeps the wiki content trimmed to a minimum -- which is necessary for editing purposes.

Finally, also keep in mind that specific information on how to use toolset tools is restricted to the tool articles themselves. That's their core purpose. That information doesn't need to be explained elsewhere, with the exception of...

Deager has mentioned video guides/tutorials.

This is a great idea. I'm all for it. Whether it's b/c you're intimidated by trying to write and format a wiki article, or b/c you don't have the amount of time it takes, or b/c you simply would prefer making a video tutorial, those are all good reasons. Just make sure it's organized and clear. If it's a tutorial, it needs to be step-by-step. If it's just a "guide", then it doesn't. Both can get embedded into new articles on the wiki. Both should be made into their own article, so they can be placed into the correct TOC section and easily referenced by other articles.

-------------------

One final comment before we start this discussion in earnest. With the recent changes to the toolset, several areas of the wiki are now out of date. This includes content related to:

• SVN (now Git)
  • SF (now Nexus)
  • Multiplayer (will be removed)
  • DLC Extraction (now done upon toolset open)
  • ModMaker/Texplorer/TPF Tools (impacted by the above, and some other changes)

I'll be going through and re-editing every article, but it will take time. I was going to attempt to finish the forum overhaul first, but I think I'm going to have to try to do a bit of work on both. It's pretty important the wiki is up to date by the time the new stable is ready. I'll start next week, which will also give me a bit more time to get caught up on things that got put on hold as I was wrapping up BO.

-------------------

Alright! All that said, what other ideas do folks have for new feature articles?
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Re: Brainstorming for new "Feature Articles"

Postby CreeperLava » 19 Feb 2016, 19:13

TPF/DDS Tools article ? :P
I have written down answers to the questions I get the most often in my FAQ for ALOT. You can take a look at it if you want. I can integrate it to the wiki once the base article is up. That's the main problem I have with articles, I never know how to begin/structure them^^.

Btw, speaking of the infamous TPF/DDS article, could you send me what you already wrote ? I have time tomorrow, I could work on it and maybe finish it depending on the progress you made.
CreeperLava
User

Have thanks: 83 time

Re: Brainstorming for new "Feature Articles"

Postby giftfish » 19 Feb 2016, 19:21

@Creeper --

Yeah, I knew that was coming, but that's not really related to these new articles, as it only involves the tool itself. Problems that come post-texture installing belong in Troubleshooting and not in the tool article.

I haven't started the article at all. If you want to put up what you have, or, send me a document link, I can work on editing it when I jump back into things next week.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Return to Wiki Development