Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Mass Effect 3 Version 1.6

This board has been archived due to low use, scope, and cessation in mod hosting. Try visiting ME3Tweaks and its new forum if you're interested in MP discussions.

Mass Effect 3 Version 1.6

Postby FemShep » 21 Feb 2016, 04:24

So there have been rumors for some time about a phantom update to Mass Effect 3 having a version 1.6. Not all users seem to get it. Their EXE version stays at 1.5 but their configuration tool shows 1.6 and their Patch_001.sfar file is different from 1.5, and they cannot connect to other players in MP because it says their version is different.

I got a user's TESTPATCH file and it does not have the same checksum as the one I've used in mod manager for a long time and validates as the one we've had for years. The file size also seems to be different. I'm wondering if anyone wants to take a look into this to see what's up with this build of the game.

File sizes are nearly identical but not the same

Extracted, both folders are the same exact size. A file comparison however shows all of The files are different. Like they changed some data, but the compression changed the size in the SFAR.

I've uploaded this file for some analysis.
http://me3tweaks.com/permanent/Patch_001_16.sfar

I was going to dump it and then run my GUI tool over it and see if any of the data has chagned on the files. Does anyone have any info on this phenomenon?

I got the info from here: https://www.reddit.com/r/MECoOp/comment ... ersion_106
Bioware employee BioAdmiralX chimed in, but didn't give me any useful info.

Edit: While the main data in the pcc has not changed, something in the header has.
I don't know what this is though, I would need to brush up on pcc header infos.
Last edited by FemShep on 21 Feb 2016, 23:36, edited 1 time in total.
ME3Tweaks has modding guides, tools, forums for mods, a modding wiki, and ModMaker, an online mod creation tool.
ME3 Mod Manager, the civilized way of installing and managing ME3 mods.
ME3Tweaks Facebook Page

FemShep has been thanked by:
FemShep
Modder

Have thanks: 76 time

Re: Mass Effect 3 Version 1.6

Postby CreeperLava » 21 Feb 2016, 11:42

An interesting discovery for sure. Do you know how that user got his hands on this patch ?
CreeperLava
User

Have thanks: 83 time

Postby Kinkojiro » 21 Feb 2016, 11:43

Thats the files GUID, just says it is a fresh file. Nothing about what has changed.

With Andromeda out later this year, maybe they are patching something to do with MP being turned off?
Kinkojiro
Modder

Have thanks: 249 time

Postby FemShep » 21 Feb 2016, 16:08

The file was built on 9/13/2013 (aug 13). He lives in the UK but has the standard ME3 install. This file was built well after ME3 was finished, since the final DLC for the game came out on April 2, 2013. He sent me his binaries folder but everything is the same exact size... but the checksums don't match. Why would they rebuild this and make no changes?

The configuration utility shows 1.6. I wonder if they updated that and it required a rebuild of everything? Seems pretty shoddy for them to do this and break this user's ability to play MP with players on 1.5. He bought the game a few days ago but I've heard reports of this version being around since last year. The checksum being different really screws up Mod Manager <_<
ME3Tweaks has modding guides, tools, forums for mods, a modding wiki, and ModMaker, an online mod creation tool.
ME3Tweaks Facebook Page
FemShep
Modder

Postby FemShep » 21 Feb 2016, 23:23

This issue seems to be popping up more and more... is Bioware soak testing an update from over 2 years ago?
https://www.reddit.com/r/MECoOp/comment ... r_matches/

This is like the 4th or 5th person who has had this issue in about 2 days that has spoken up about it. I wonder if this defeats binkw32 bypass. At that build date it shouldn't, but if anything in the exe changed...

Here's my configuration utility.

I took his binaries folder and put it into my game's install, and this is what I get with his...

It makes no sense. These people can't play MP with that version. I wonder if I check for updates on origin if I will get this as an update... Edit: Nope... Only trend I am noticing is that this may be a UK only issue. I've seen 2 reports from UK. Others unknown.

I looked farther into the Patch_Actor.pcc file and there are more changes farther in the file.
I didn't see these before because pressing FN F6 on my mac seemed to trigger some stupid thing in OSX rather than the machine I was remoted into. I'll have to see what's at these addresses.

More info: http://forum.bioware.com/topic/569962-m ... ken/page-2
Seems to be a binary change only. Patch files were rebuilt for it but don't seem to be affected if not replaced AFAIK.
ME3Tweaks Facebook Page
FemShep
Modder

Return to Multiplayer