Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

[Article] Mod Spotlight

Help build and maintain the new ME3Explorer Wiki on Wikia.

Re: [Article] Mod Spotlight

Postby giftfish » 12 Feb 2015, 21:37

FemShep wrote:I think the wiki and my site have different goals I suppose, where mine teaches modding and the wiki teaches the toolset. I see how they dont really fit.

Yeah, they are two completely different things. Your site is an "ME3 modding" website with a focus on MP. It hosts mods for download, hosts a couple tools people can use to install the hosted mods, and has some guides that explain how to players can mod certain things in the game themselves. In those guides you use the ME3Explorer toolset and other modding tools to explain how to mod the files. That's the scope of ME3Explorer's involvement in your site. Great job on your site design, btw. Very nice to look at.

The wiki is the online reference for the ME3Explorer toolset itself, and this is the forum for the toolset. People come here to get help with using the toolset. They don't generally come here looking for help with gibbed, Wenchy, Texmod, etc, though that occasionally happens. And, some people choose to place their mods (made with the toolset) up for download here b/c it's easier than hosting elsewhere.

It's a similar concept to UDK. There is UDK (toolset), the UDK wiki (toolset's online reference) and the Epic Games forums (toolset's forums). Sure, there are all sorts of other fan-based sites that might host mods created with UDK or supply tutorials/guides on how to use UDK to do edit a game file, but those sites have nothing to do with UDK itself, short of using that toolset to mod their games. You won't find references to those external modding sites on UDK's wiki...b/c they have nothing directly to do with UDK. They are separate sites.

In the case of the ME3Exp wiki, I've gone ahead and put the "Other ME3 Modding Resources" up, anyway, just in case visitors are looking for more information about modding that's outside the wiki's scope. It's not an exhaustive reference, it's just to point people who are interested in some other information.

FemShep wrote:But I do think at least one MP mod should be spotlighted cause I know lots of people who don't play SP at all. If you're trying to engage people who hit the page at least one of both will cover both userbases.

I agree, there should be at least one MP mod on the page. We just have to pick the right one. So, let me know which ones on that mod page of your site are made with the toolset. It could be the Atlas one is a good one to use given its popularity, but we'll have to include some additional disclaimers that explain a bit about modding MP being a bit different than SP. That way visitors are clear.

Also, we're not really worried about page hits. At least, I'm not. Nobody's making money off this and we're not trying to start a new "community" over on Wikia. This is an online reference, only, there for when people need it. That's it. If it spurs mod development due to making information easier to find and understand (and it might), then that's fantastic.

FemShep wrote:One thing I have noticed is that finding tutorials for modding ME3 is pretty difficult. While you are a forum veteran, most new users are not. The PHPbb software this forum uses... Not going to lie, its incredibly difficult to use. It makes it difficult for me even to use. And it makes finding tutorials hard because its a turn off to use the forum (as a web developer these things are important to keep an engaged audience). Unfortunately things aren't free, I understand.

It's all about using the right search terms. I came to the forum about a year late, so I still have to dig through the forums a lot as I'm trying to locate information for the wiki. As long as I stick to just a couple key words, I can usually locate things pretty easily. But, I agree, this version of phpBB leaves something to be desired.

FYI, all the forum tutorials are placed in the Tutorial section. The Research section also is a good place for "tutorial-like" posts. And, the Help Index of Forum Resources I put together hasn't been updated in a while, but it's usually pretty informative, as well.

I get what you are saying about engaging your audience, (which is one of the reasons I put a lot of attention into the aesthetics of the ThaneMOD website and forum, and the design of the new wiki), but this forum and the old wiki were not designed with that in mind. They are utilitarian sites and I don't think the intent was ever to consciously attract visitors, increase page hits, "engage," or anything like that. Both were simply erected to house discussion and information related to figuring out how to mod ME3 and subsequent development of toolset. That's it.
giftfish

Postby The Fob » 12 Feb 2015, 21:59

FemShep wrote:One thing I have noticed is that finding tutorials for modding ME3 is pretty difficult. While you are a forum veteran, most new users are not. The PHPbb software this forum uses... Not going to lie, its incredibly difficult to use. It makes it difficult for me even to use. And it makes finding tutorials hard because its a turn off to use the forum (as a web developer these things are important to keep an engaged audience). Unfortunately things aren't free, I understand.

Haha, this is absolutely true. I usually use google with "site:me3explorer.freeforums.org" if I have to find something on these boards. That actually works pretty well, definitely better than the search bar. :)

Don't think there is anything we can do about it though. The search engine is part of the forum, right?
The Fob
Modder

Have thanks: 212 time

Postby giftfish » 12 Feb 2015, 22:14

The Fob wrote:Haha, this is absolutely true. I usually use google with "site:me3explorer.freeforums.org" if I have to find something on these boards. That actually works pretty well, definitely better than the search bar. :)

Ha, that's what I do for BW's forums when I was a more frequent visitor. I always have better luck with Google to track down a thread or post.
giftfish

Postby Fog.Gene » 14 Feb 2015, 01:54

Hey giftfish,

I'm going to follow Fob's lead here and before anything else say that you're doing an amazing job with the wiki. Even more, if it wasn't for you we would still be (not) using the old wiki with *maybe* a slightly improved sidebar only. Instead we have a beautiful new wiki, with lots of content already ported or newly added. So kudos to you for making it possible.

I agree with you guys about having an MP mod in the mod spotlight. I don't really fancy MP myself, but I reckon it is a huge aspect of ME3 and a big part of what keeps the community alive. For me one of the most amazing things done for MP is the private server emulator, but alas that is not part of the toolset afaik. I'm sure you will find something suitable to put in there, but in any case remember that the toolset is still evolving, and the new stuff be added/swapped later on.
Regere: Let the world know of its sovereign. I shall be the rule by which all things are measured.
Polyhistor: Then I am to be the slave, for all things shall be my master.
Fog.Gene
Emeritus

Have thanks: 65 time

Postby The Fob » 24 Feb 2015, 23:45

FYI, just updated the article for MEHEM. Better check that I didn't screw anything up. :)

The Fob has been thanked by:
The Fob
Modder

Have thanks: 212 time

Postby giftfish » 25 Feb 2015, 00:20

The Fob wrote:FYI, just updated the article for MEHEM. Better check that I didn't screw anything up. :)

LOL. I'll go look now.

EDIT: Looks great. I fixed just a few things for you with capitalization and formatting. Thanks again!

giftfish

Postby giftfish » 21 Jun 2015, 17:57

Trying to add "blurbs" for the folks who aren't around much anymore. Just wrapped up Ottemis and will be doing ELE's mod shortly.

@Deager -- If you can identify what screenshots to use for CEM (I can download them from Nexus) and write me a quick blurb, I'll edit it and go ahead and get it up for you.
giftfish

Postby giftfish » 22 Jun 2015, 14:30

Added blurbs for ELE's Character Overhaul and JAM.
giftfish

Postby giftfish » 22 Feb 2016, 23:03

--Still waiting on CEM content; Deager should be getting back to me on this.

@Kinkojiro -- If you read this, I think GMM/EGM should definitely have a spotlight since it does a bunch of stuff no other mods have before.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Previous

Return to Wiki Development