Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

[Article] Mod Formats

Help build and maintain the new ME3Explorer Wiki on Wikia.

Re: [Article] Mod Formats

Postby giftfish » 23 Feb 2016, 20:37

CreeperLava wrote:Quick suggestions :
- What about METPFs ? They're a legitimate alternative to the less than ideal TPFs. I use them for ALOT, because Texmod gets buggy when dealing with a big number of textures (ie you end up with 0 bytes TPFs). Modders generally shouldn't encounter these problems, but you might as well put a warning.
- coalesced can also be used to edit graphics (Shadows, AA, etc). I can send you a list of things you can edit if you want.

1. Are they actually called, ".me3tpfs"? If so, then yes, I'll insert a blurb about them. Either way, I won't add it until after I write the TPF Tool article, as I need to play with the tool myself and make sure I understand everything about it first :]

2. Coalesced can be used to edit a ton of other things I (and you) didn't mention, as well. This isn't meant to be an exhaustive article on what can be modded in the coalesced; I'm just providing some examples. There's a place for all that stuff, just not in this article.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Postby CreeperLava » 24 Feb 2016, 06:14

They're actually called '.metpf'. The format is very similar to TPF (almost the same size), but can only be opened by TPF/DDS. The advantage being that it does not rely on a third party tool, and is much more stable than Texmod.
CreeperLava
User

Have thanks: 83 time

Postby giftfish » 24 Feb 2016, 14:07

CreeperLava wrote:They're actually called '.metpf'. The format is very similar to TPF (almost the same size), but can only be opened by TPF/DDS. The advantage being that it does not rely on a third party tool, and is much more stable than Texmod.

And thus aren't compatible with Texmod.

Yeah, I was aware of the functional difference, just wasn't sure if the file extension was different or not. I'll probably just include it as a bit of a note in the TPF section.

My guess is not many mod authors will distribute .metpfs. Despite the advantages, TPF format is more versatile. Authors can't assume that users want to use the toolset and not Texmod. And, since the toolset can read plain TPFs just fine, there's no motivation to create and distribute a second file type for compatibility. In fact, distributing a METPF with a TPF in the same mod could end up leading to confusion, as Texmod users try to use the METPF with Texmod and end up running into issues.

So.... yeah. But, I'll definitely mention it. I'll be updating several other articles today as I also do toolset testing, so keep an eye out :)
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Previous

Return to Wiki Development