Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Zaeed mod 2: Electric Boogaloo

Complimentary board where content modders may host dev threads for mods destined for release. Communicate information, find testers, release Betas, etc.

Re: Zaeed mod 2: Electric Boogaloo

Postby giftfish » 10 Mar 2016, 17:25

@Sir -- Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you on this.

I have some pretty basic feedback, and it's easiest to discuss using screenshots, so lots of them incoming under spoilers.

First, two bugs:

1. Zaeed is still floating.
Floating characters are a pet peeve of mine, so it's not like it's an enormous deal, but it is noticeable. He's certainly not the only character with this problem in the refugee camp, though. For whatever reason, there was some seriously epic fail on BW's part when placing NPCs in this level. My solution with Kelly was to just move the camera to compensate, but that's also before I knew how to move actors (which I only sort of know how to do now, lol).
Spoiler:

2. Closing Line Gesture Inconsistency for Shepard.
I'm guessing there are actually two interps for this line. Sometimes there is no animation and sometimes Shepard leans back and crosses his/her arms when selecting "Talk later." Two interps would explain the variation. It happens if you select the line after the dialogue. If you immediately say hello/goodbye, then it doesn't happen.

I'd suggest not having any gesture there. Shepard is only on screen for a fraction of a second, and leaning back to cross arms really isn't the proper gesture for "See you around, Zaeed." If anything, uncrossing the arms would make more sense, but there still isn't time for all of that to be on screen, unless you want to lengthen the interp (plus, that means they have to be crossed prior to the goodbye, which means incorporating that animation at all dialogue wheels, which is hugely problematic & why BW doesn't normally do it). In addition, once the camera pops back out post-dialogue, Shepard is standing in a neutral position, so closing in an arms cross creates a discontinuity. Screenshot below shows when Shepard leans back:
Spoiler:

Second, let's take a look at the camera angles, since that's the big thing you were working on. These are much improved from the current version of the mod, especially Zaeed, but I think you can still do a bit better :]

1. Shepard's Angles
Here's Shep's angles. Looks like 1 cam with 3 variations, I'd guess?
Spoiler:
WAIST
CHEST
HEAD

These are mostly good, especially the head shot. The waist shot is good. In the chest shot, Shepard could fill a bit more of the frame, vertically. I think you'll get the idea when I talk about Zaeed, so I'll just move onto that.

2. Zaeed's Angles.
Looks like Zaeed has two variations with the same cam:
Spoiler:
CHEST
NECK

Like I said, these are a big improvement. But, I still see room for more improvement by doing the following:

A. Implement a third cam variant for waist up.

Waist/Chest/Head are how BW usually frames the speakers in conversations. There's of course a certain amount of variation with this, but it's a good rule to follow when scene editing. Adding a third shot will allow the camera switches to feel a bit less repetitive, and allow you to only use the chest/head shots for lines with more emotion or importance.

Here's a flycam test shot I took to give you an idea:
Spoiler:

B.Let the actor fill the frame.
This is another rule BW tends to follow when it comes to scenes, codex/war asset images, etc. Allow the actor to really fill the frame -- even if the top of their head gets a bit cut off. Right now in both your chest/neck shots, there's too much space over Zaeed's head which messes with the composition.

Instead, adjust the cam so it can look something like this:
Spoiler:

C. Change the neck shot to a true head shot.
Again to follow with BW's rule and improve composition. It will also allow Zaeed's face to be larger for the lines that have the most emotion/importance.

Examples:
Spoiler:

----------------

That's it, I think. You've done a great job with the convo flow and dialogue wheel, so no suggestions there. If you need more ideas on how to frame shots, also watch a quick YT for Zaeed's ME2 and ME3 missions :]

Hope that's helpful!

giftfish has been thanked by:
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Postby SirCxyrtyx » 23 May 2016, 17:22

I released a new version with some of the changes discussed in this thread. I'm very busy with toolset development and the Aria mod, so I've shelved further development of this for now. This release is a big improvement though, with no more floating Zaeed, and actual decent camera angles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOCF7PtHY1M

SirCxyrtyx has been thanked by:
SirCxyrtyx
Toolset Lead

Have thanks: 288 time

Postby giftfish » 23 May 2016, 18:26

And, it will be included in the next release of ME3Re, wewt!
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Previous

Return to Mods in Development