Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

The time is imminent...

General chat about Mass Effect or otherwise.

Re: The time is imminent...

Postby giftfish » 25 Jun 2016, 01:27

Deager wrote:Yeah, I have an ASUS board. What's up?

I had two minor questions. First involved overclocking RAM and the second involves my liquid cooling setup.

If you might be able to help with either, I can catch you on Skype quick?
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Postby CreeperLava » 25 Jun 2016, 07:46

I have an ASUS motherboard as well, in case you need more help^^.
CreeperLava
User

Have thanks: 83 time

Postby Deager » 25 Jun 2016, 21:14

giftfish wrote:

I had two minor questions. First involved overclocking RAM and the second involves my liquid cooling setup.

I actually am boring and didn't overclock ram as my primary goal is a quiet computer...granted, only the case fans should get involved with overclocked ram. I think I even set my machine to "quiet" on the lazy settings in the bios to keep fans running as little as possible.

I also am old school and have a HyperCooler 212 whatever and not liquid cooling so that's something I've not messed with before.
Deager
Modder

Have thanks: 164 time

Postby giftfish » 25 Jun 2016, 21:29

Deager wrote:
giftfish wrote:

I actually am boring and didn't overclock ram as my primary goal is a quiet computer...granted, only the case fans should get involved with overclocked ram. I think I even set my machine to "quiet" on the lazy settings in the bios to keep fans running as little as possible.

I also am old school and have a HyperCooler 212 whatever and not liquid cooling so that's something I've not messed with before.

Okie doke.

Creeper, Fob, if you have experience with either (especially a dual-rad liquid cooler), please let me know :)
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby CreeperLava » 25 Jun 2016, 22:53

May I ask why you want to overclock your RAM ? Afaik it doesn't have a big impact on performance, a few percents at most. Do overclock your CPU though ! I overclocked my i5-3570 from 3.4 to 4.1 Ghz using the tool provided by ASUS to overclock. It makes a big difference with 7z, tree scanning, etc...
CreeperLava
User

Postby giftfish » 27 Jun 2016, 04:26

CreeperLava wrote:May I ask why you want to overclock your RAM ? Afaik it doesn't have a big impact on performance, a few percents at most. Do overclock your CPU though ! I overclocked my i5-3570 from 3.4 to 4.1 Ghz using the tool provided by ASUS to overclock. It makes a big difference with 7z, tree scanning, etc...

I also used ASUS's built in UEFI tool (EZ Utility or something like that), which OC'd the CPU and RAM by 15%. However, I purchased RAM at 2888MHz and am still only getting 2666MHz out of it; I want what I paid for. I can see in the AiTweaker menu where I can adjust the frequency further via a simple dropdown -- and the documentation points me to this -- but there's nothing else in the documentation that says whether or not I also need to adjust voltages. I'd rather not assume and then screw up my system's stability.

To confuse the matter further, the UEFI, ASUS's CPUz, and ASUS's AiSuite all display my RAM at different speeds. My instinct is to go with what the UEFI says, but I don't know that for certain, which is why I tried contacting ASUS directly.

The cooling issue has to do with another bit of ASUS weirdness, which I'm guessing anyone with a Z170 board and double rad liquid cooler can answer. I'd prefer an official answer from ASUS, but at minimum they can tell me if they experience the same thing.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby CreeperLava » 27 Jun 2016, 06:59

Hmm, did you make sure your board supports that frequency ? Knowing the z170 I believe it does, but you never know.
Whatt I am about to say applies to CPU overclock, but you probably can also use it for ram. A good advice I saw on forums was to first push your overclock as far as you could without moving the voltage. It can fry your cpu if you go to high on voltage.
CreeperLava
User

Postby giftfish » 27 Jun 2016, 15:21

CreeperLava wrote:Hmm, did you make sure your board supports that frequency ? Knowing the z170 I believe it does, but you never know.
Whatt I am about to say applies to CPU overclock, but you probably can also use it for ram. A good advice I saw on forums was to first push your overclock as far as you could without moving the voltage. It can fry your cpu if you go to high on voltage.

All Z170 boards support much larger amounts of overclocking than what I'm doing, but any RAM that is natively OC'd above 2166MHz (like mine at 2666) will not be recognized by default. It must be OC'd manually.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Previous

Return to Off Topic