Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Gimp and Mipmaps?

Area for texture-specific, modding-related discussion. Topics that involve models/meshes/actors go in the mesh area. As with other non-toolset related content, answers not guaranteed.

Gimp and Mipmaps?

Postby Idiotgamer » 26 Jul 2016, 22:35

Okay sorry to post this here but for some reason this forum isn't letting me start a new thread and I am having trouble with Mip maps and this is all new to me so if you could bare with me for a while I would be grateful.

Any way I am trying to replace a texture in Mass Effect 3 and I thought I had gotten the hang of it, following every direction I found online for using ME3 Explore 2.0 and textmod to do it but I have run into a problem and I have tried googleing for an answer but nothing comes up. The problem is this I save the image file I want to use as the replacement for the in game file to the DSS format which seems to be correct but then every time I try to replace the in game file I get an error message saying that my file only has a mipmap of 1 and the game requires at least a mipmap of 9. and it seems to do this to every photo no matter the format or what I do with it. I gather a mipmap is something to do with the number of layers a photo has so I tried adding layers with Gimp, and Gimp says the photos now have nine layers but I still get the error message about there being only one. So my question is this and I am sorry if it is a stupid one, but what is a mipmap exactly and how do I add more of them to an image. I mean if every image file format only saves it as 1 and the game requires 9 of them then there must be some way to add mipmaps or the textures and files wouldn't show up in the game in the first place.

Again sorry if this is a stupid question but I have tried everywhere and I am at my whit's end trying to figure this out and I refuse to be beaten by a computer.
Idiotgamer
User

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: MIP Maps

Postby giftfish » 26 Jul 2016, 23:05

Idiotgamer wrote:Okay sorry to post this here but for some reason this forum isn't letting me start a new thread and I am having trouble with Mip maps and this is all new to me so if you could bare with me for a while I would be grateful.

Any way I am trying to replace a texture in Mass Effect 3 and I thought I had gotten the hang of it, following every direction I found online for using ME3 Explore 2.0 and textmod to do it but I have run into a problem and I have tried googleing for an answer but nothing comes up. The problem is this I save the image file I want to use as the replacement for the in game file to the DSS format which seems to be correct but then every time I try to replace the in game file I get an error message saying that my file only has a mipmap of 1 and the game requires at least a mipmap of 9. and it seems to do this to every photo no matter the format or what I do with it. I gather a mipmap is something to do with the number of layers a photo has so I tried adding layers with Gimp, and Gimp says the photos now have nine layers but I still get the error message about there being only one. So my question is this and I am sorry if it is a stupid one, but what is a mipmap exactly and how do I add more of them to an image. I mean if every image file format only saves it as 1 and the game requires 9 of them then there must be some way to add mipmaps or the textures and files wouldn't show up in the game in the first place.

Again sorry if this is a stupid question but I have tried everywhere and I am at my whit's end trying to figure this out and I refuse to be beaten by a computer.

You need to let GIMP autogenerate the mipmaps for you when you export the image as a DDS. A box will come up and you'll choose the texture compression (DXT1 or DXT5), and "generate mipmaps" from the dropdown menus.

This wiki article explains everything you need to know:

http://me3explorer.wikia.com/wiki/Textu ... ass_Effect

I'll move these posts to your own thread, located in the Textures and Meshes section (in The Mess Hall), once you respond and I know you've seen this post. No idea why you can't start a new thread (unless you're trying to start one here in the Toolset Modders area).

giftfish has been thanked by:
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Re: MIP Maps

Postby Idiotgamer » 27 Jul 2016, 00:44

The forum will not let me start a new thread anywhere for some reason.

Thanks for the help and the link, I guess I was using the wrong search terms or something.

I am trying to learn this stuff on my own but it is all new to me and I am a bit of an idiot when it comes to these things.

Thanks a bunch.
Idiotgamer
User

Have thanks: 0 time

Return to Texture Discussion