Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Mass Effect 1: destined to become unplayable?

General chat about Mass Effect or otherwise.

Re: Mass Effect 1: destined to become unplayable?

Postby mirh » 20 Aug 2014, 11:55

dosse91 wrote:I don't even have a controller.
And why is it even reading that key if it doesn't even support it?
You're making things too easy :lol:
The game has no support for controller, but that wasn't something they really had care.
Key bindings are not present (and I don't even think all the necessary controller-only "actions" are still in the game code) but the game still check for additional devices.
It still loads xinput1_3.dll so this mean the game sees the controllers. Thanks microsoft for this advanced input API! *irony*

Anyway I removed my usual procmon filters and I could realize I had this issue too. I mean, I thought masseffect.exe was the responsible, instead it's svchost.
Things got even worse when I saw registry spamming continued even after I quit ME. :/

Nevertheless I could track down the precise svchost instance with "tasklist -svc" . It just included DcomLaunch, PlugPlay and Power services.
And they are all three of the most important system services (so no way you can safely stop them).

But in the end.. I don't think that's the problem... I mean.. I believe that's how you are normally required to retrieve controller inputs.
Besides, I could then figure out it was steam fault if I was still continuously pestered. With process explorer I was able to stop one of its thread (SDL2.dll!SDL_DYNAPI) and all the registry activity stopped.

I tried to do something similar with mass effect too, but the affected code call is inside the main game thread and pausing it stop the entire game (so I can't exactly confirm)

So... maybe we had better focusing on something else.

Speaking of the other problem.. did you try to edit Windows environment variables ? I mean try something like mine
    PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6, GenuineIntel
    PROCESSOR_LEVEL=6
    PROCESSOR_REVISION=1706
mirh
User

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby dosse91 » 21 Aug 2014, 05:13

Nope, the problem persists :(
Did you notice one of its main threads being busy running exception handlers all the time or is it just me?
dosse91
User

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby mirh » 02 Sep 2014, 22:43

dosse91 wrote:Nope, the problem persists :(
Did you notice one of its main threads being busy running exception handlers all the time or is it just me?

Okay, so.. first of all sorry for the absurd delay.

Then I tried to check process explorer.. I did not see exception handlers, even though I don't exactly know what I should look at
Anyway why you don't give a check to my new thread? I mean.. it could even be that one of those reference shader caches might help you

Besides, I search for methods to monitor applications performance.. that's what I found..
And attached you may see mine
mirh
User

Postby mirh » 04 Oct 2014, 12:34

Just a quick note.
I have read that Mass Effect 2 has massive cpu bottleneck, which may be everything but Direct3D related (that usually is the resource hungry thing in games..)

It might have something in common with ME1
mirh
User

Postby mirh » 05 Nov 2014, 17:54

If you'd really like to profile the game, these are some ideas
http://www.realworldtech.com/physx87/2/
mirh
User

Postby mirh » 09 Nov 2014, 20:11

Thanks to our friend at unreal I found
Code: Select all
recompileshaders all

It actually compiles some unreal shader files inside ..\Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect\Engine\Shaders
and LocalShaderCache-PC-D3D-SM3.upk inside ..\Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect\Published\CookedPC

Maybe this could somewhat improve performance
mirh
User

Postby mirh » 15 Aug 2016, 23:22

BREAKING: Black object issue is fixed by a purely graphics mod.
http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Mass_Effect#cite_note-9
mirh
User

Previous

Return to Off Topic