Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

FaceFX and AnimCut$!&&

Semi-technical area to discuss content modding research and discoveries. Technical information necessary for coding tools should be posted in Technical Research on the Coders board.

Re: FaceFX and AnimCut$!&&

Postby Deager » 18 Aug 2016, 19:29

I will take one part back already...no objects other than the spoken dialogue. All cameras and such are in the base 530Goodbye.pcc file. Still...there's a part of wondering if we can tell the AnimCutScene to not pay attention to the FaceFX data baked into itself and instead use the ConvoNodes from the LOC_INT file. However, I can understand how the game engine would go all or nothing regarding an AnimCutScene vs a standard dialogue with all the objects already present.
Deager
Modder

Have thanks: 164 time

Postby SirCxyrtyx » 19 Aug 2016, 07:21

giftfish wrote:Oh wow! I never noticed they were actually FaceFXAssets, b/c BW uses similar naming conventions in the export names for both (FXA).

As part of my continuing quest to get people to use the Package Editor's tree view more, I feel obligated to point out that the tree view displays the class of an export right next to the name, so it's almost impossible to make that mistake. ;)
SirCxyrtyx
Toolset Lead

Have thanks: 288 time

Postby giftfish » 19 Aug 2016, 14:52

SirCxyrtyx wrote:
giftfish wrote:Oh wow! I never noticed they were actually FaceFXAssets, b/c BW uses similar naming conventions in the export names for both (FXA).

As part of my continuing quest to get people to use the Package Editor's tree view more, I feel obligated to point out that the tree view displays the class of an export right next to the name, so it's almost impossible to make that mistake. ;)

Lol, Sir.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Postby Deager » 25 Sep 2016, 05:13

I PM'd a few people but I'm just posting a placeholder here...I have figured out FaceFX in AnimCutScenes. :) Not that it's practical to work with it right now but I'm hoping to do testing while watching the Vikings get destroyed totally beat the Panthers. I might be able to find a work-around to allow us to get the job done for the scenes where we could really benefit from it.
Deager
Modder

Postby Deager » 25 Sep 2016, 06:56

Yeah, I decided to stay up late here. So, indeed, you can take an animation with the tangents and everything, readjust the time for the AnimCutScene, plop it in (once you know where to put the bytes) and then "enjoy" the timing of the multitude of bytes remaining in the scene to get them out of the way.

So in this example, as a proof of concept, I've taken the Jaw+ data, added 40.667 or something like that, to get it to match up with the AnimCutScene, and then I had to move, I don't know, it felt like 100 points past the ending time before Liara's final line. In no way am I saying this is really a feasible way to work but I already confirmed I can zero out what I found to be the Jaw+ bytes and keep the jaw from moving and now this concept video shows that the way more efficient FaceFX from a normal LOC_INT file can still be used. We have bytes galore with just about any phoneme so really, the sky's the limit with regard to line choices. If not for how tedious the process is this is a green light. If anyone has ideas to speed up the process, please let me know. I can't think of any really efficient way to do this other than moving the FaceFX objects to the end of the file, copying and pasting the points, using HxD, into the correct spots, and making sure to adjust the lists 1 and 3 to match plus the overall length...yeah, it's just a lot of hex editing so it's ripe for a lot of mistakes.

Deager
Modder

Postby Deager » 25 Sep 2016, 15:52

OK, I hope this make some sense. I tried my best to keep it succinct but give enough info for people who understand hex to get the idea. If more info is needed by anyone, please ask me and I'll try to clarify.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Deager has been thanked by:
Deager
Modder

Postby CreeperLava » 25 Sep 2016, 17:34

This should be in the wiki, too :).
CreeperLava
User

Have thanks: 83 time

Postby Deager » 26 Sep 2016, 21:28

CreeperLava wrote:This should be in the wiki, too :).

Well, I'm waiting to see if it becomes part of the toolset before going further with anything official. Sir is aware of it but it's definitely a lower priority item compared to getting a stable release out there and some of the other enhancements which would benefit more users or modders. I don't see many people doing the lip sync bit so it's something that might get done, if it's doable, might not.

If it doesn't get into the toolset, then I might explain how but man...this is some semi-advanced stuff involving moving objects to the end of a file, then changing the animLengths, the length of the name/point/length list data, and potentially some other stuff I'm missing. Granted, if the tool can't be made, I may attempt this insanity for CEM since I'd prefer the goodbye scene not be the low point with regards to lip sync quality. Plus, Kerbal Space Program is sort of boring and other games are boring and until I finish CEM, then my bas@$$ Riley Shepard can't sabotage the cure and then have Wrex get more than a little ticked about it. I think that's what'll happen anyway; she's friendly-ish but ultimately will do whatever it takes to stack the odds in the missions' favor. I suspect she will be sabotaging the cure.
Deager
Modder

Previous

Return to Modders' Research