Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

[SOLVED] compressor for ME2 pcc files?

User-centric area for specific questions & problems related to using ME3Explorer tools. This is not a modding "how to" area. Read the sticky before posting!

[SOLVED] compressor for ME2 pcc files?

Postby Deager » 17 Aug 2016, 19:53

Is there a way to compress ME2 pcc files once they've been opened and modded? I have a user who can't get the binkw32.dll/binkw23.dll thing to work. It's a disc copy, updated to v1.02 and his dll file matches mine exactly. It just won't authorize the Illium Landing Movie Mod.

And, if he puts the file in the DLC_EXP_Pack001 location, it borks LotSB because the file is too big. If I could compress the file to the same size (or smaller I suppose) I could have him simply replace the LotSB file with the modded file and he'd be off and running. So, is there a compressor file out there that I'm missing?
Deager
Modder

Have thanks: 164 time

Re: compressor for ME2 pcc files?

Postby SirCxyrtyx » 17 Aug 2016, 21:10

Is there an existing tool that can do it? Not that I know of. I might be able to make one though. What is the nature of your edit to the file? I assume it's one that doesn't change the file size?
SirCxyrtyx
Toolset Lead

Have thanks: 288 time

Postby Deager » 18 Aug 2016, 00:01

SirCxyrtyx wrote:Is there an existing tool that can do it? Not that I know of. I might be able to make one though. What is the nature of your edit to the file? I assume it's one that doesn't change the file size?

If you think it'd be fun to tackle. Specifically, I modded BioD_TwrHub.pcc from the LotSB DLC, DLC_EXP_Part01. The LotSB version overrides the version of the BioD_TwrHub.pcc from the core game and doesn't hurt anything for people without LotSB. All I did was rereoute one or two True values in a sequence to go to the false results, which effectively bypasses the PMCheckConditional to see if the arrival to Illium has happened yet or not and if not, to play the intro landing video. It's a ridiculously simple edit but the pcc file has to decompress.

Since this user can't get EricJS dll bypass to work for some very odd reason, my last ditch effort was to see if there was a way I could compress the file back to the original LotSB size I was hoping that could help him and it would pass the checks by the game engine...like the old days of modding DLC in ME3; ah, memories.

The root issue is simply getting that mod to work for one guy so if there's some other idea I should try, I'm all ears. He contends it's not a pirated version and I believe him, definitely now that I saw his original binkw32.dll file. I can't figure out how it matches my steam version and yet the bypass doesn't work.
Deager
Modder

Postby SirCxyrtyx » 18 Aug 2016, 00:48

Well, there's a compressor for ME3 files in the toolset, seems like their ought to be one for ME2 and ME1 as well. Might make it into the next release.

A problem I can see is that since it's a DLC file, saving it will use the append method, which would make it uncompressable. it would have to be decompressed, have the edits done in HxD, and then recompressed.

You could have him try using the ME2 DLC crack that's in the old stable. That uses a completely different method.
SirCxyrtyx
Toolset Lead

Have thanks: 288 time

Postby Deager » 18 Aug 2016, 04:19

SirCxyrtyx wrote:Well, there's a compressor for ME3 files in the toolset, seems like their ought to be one for ME2 and ME1 as well. Might make it into the next release.

A problem I can see is that since it's a DLC file, saving it will use the append method, which would make it uncompressable. it would have to be decompressed, have the edits done in HxD, and then recompressed.

You could have him try using the ME2 DLC crack that's in the old stable. That uses a completely different method.

Turns out, I took a guess and it worked. And I prefer to avoid crack suggestions, particularly when chatting on Nexus.
http://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect2/mo ... t%3D155835
Deager
Modder

Postby Tarshana » 22 Aug 2016, 04:53

This is what I came to the forums for. I have PCC files that I unpacked to modify but now cannot put them back together. If you would like I can make another thread describing what issue I am running into so I do not hijack this one.
Tarshana
User

Have thanks: 4 time

Return to Toolset Help