Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Getting plain text info from MEx Tree

This forum is now locked due to probable end of development and relocation of code from Sourceforgce to GitHub. Please make any further suggestions for the toolset on GitHub.

Getting plain text info from MEx Tree

Postby Alvaro » 05 Mar 2016, 17:12

Hi:

Knowing that every tree.bin file created by texplorer contains exact and detailed info of every texture included in an scanned vanilla game, I´m just wondering if there is any way to get that info -or part of it- in simple plain text -.csv file, in example-.

I was thinking in some kind or report including texture name and hash at least. Adding to the previous format and size would be even better, in example.

It may sound stupid but I thought it would become useful to determine "reusable" textures among games, in example. Matching hashes is the quickest way to identify those... and then you could move on and continue comparing formats and sizes.

I have no idea if this was ever requested before or if is already implemented into the toolset in any way.

Any input will be welcomed!

Regards!
Alvaro

PS A quite primitive :lol: workarround would be to redirect a "dir" command of the /exec/ThumbnailCache/MExThumbnailCache folder to a .txt file but that only would return filenames but no other valuable info.
Alvaro
User

Have thanks: 12 time

Re: Getting plain text info from MEx Tree

Postby CreeperLava » 05 Mar 2016, 17:30

I second this idea. To be able to read the me#tree.bin (or generate a readable version of it), outside of me3explorer would be pretty handy. Opening the .bin in Notepad++ doesn't result in much good, and sometimes you just don't have Texplorer at disposition (when will ME3Explorer support Linux ?^^). Having such a text file also allows for bulk searches and comparisons, as Alvaro mentioned.
CreeperLava
User

Have thanks: 83 time

Postby Alvaro » 05 Mar 2016, 19:14

Well, fact is that all useful info is already packed in those tree.bin files... and to build those is the hardest part of this, I think! :)
Alvaro
User

Postby KFreon » 06 Mar 2016, 08:30

I guess that wouldn't be hard to do.
Chuck in an enhancement request on git and I'll see what I can do.

If you could give an example of what kind of info in what kind of format you'd like, that'd be better too.
KFreon
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 520 time

Postby Alvaro » 06 Mar 2016, 11:34

@KF: silly Q here (sorry!)

All files in ThumbnailCacheFolder include a serial sufix. In case that sufix had any meaning, what those numbers stand for?

Sample here:

ME3 game --> HMM_HED_PROSheppard_Face_Diff_Stack_920309567
ME2 game --> HMM_HED_PROSheppard_Face_Diff_Stack_2491053224

Regards!
Alvaro

PS.- It is a shame those numbers were not the texture hash... ;) but to make such (unneeded and, most probably, unwanted) change would require everyone to rebuild their caches and trees. No way.
Alvaro
User

Postby giftfish » 28 Aug 2016, 18:45

Archiving and locking.

Feature requests should be made on GitHub.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Return to Toolset Features