Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

[RELEASED] Ken and Gabby in the Purgatory bar?

User-centric area to discuss ideas and request mods. Toolset modders may also float ideas for new mods here; if pursued, the thread can be relocated to Mods in Development.

[RELEASED] Ken and Gabby in the Purgatory bar?

Postby AVPen » 22 Jan 2014, 16:02

Originally, it was planned that Ken and Gabby (or just Ken if Gabby was dead) could re-recruited in the Purgatory bar after Shepard returns to the Citadel, but this was later scrapped and all we got instead was a emotionless "approve form" at the Spectre terminal. :|

However, we know that all the audio lines for the scene do exist in the game's data files already (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibUtGXZlXdM), and with JohnP's excellent reinstatement of Anderson's extended dialogue on the Citadel, I'm curious if anyone has managed to find similar data files for animation, model placement in the map, etc, for the original Purgatory scene which could allow their original recruitment to be reinstated into the game?
AVPen
Modder

Have thanks: 116 time

Re: Ken and Gabby in the Purgatory bar?

Postby JohnP » 22 Jan 2014, 16:50

Looks like the conversation objects are there. Let me see what else is required.
JohnP
Modder

Have thanks: 132 time

Postby JohnP » 22 Jan 2014, 21:55

So unlike the Anderson conversation, I guess this one was actually removed because of time constraints and not necessarily story reasons.

The conversation and Interp objects themselves exist, and I did get the engineers to show up in Purgatory and could play the conversations (Ken and Gabby, and just Ken if Gabby is dead). The problem is the objects for the camera work don't exist at all. So the camera just randomly moves around during the convo and most of the time just shows nobody. Sometimes the characters will be in frame, but can be out of focus. It's actually different every time you run through the conversation. Probably depends on exactly where Shepard stopped when you pressed the space bar.

So this is a no go, at least for now. We don't yet fully understand the camera motions (the ThaneMOD folks figured out a little bit), let alone creating from scratch. It would be a ton of work, even I did know how to do it. There are several objects that would need to be created for EVERY line in the conversations.

JohnP has been thanked by:
JohnP
Modder

Have thanks: 132 time

Postby giftfish » 22 Jan 2014, 21:57

Well, that's unfortunate. It would be a pretty fun little mod, otherwise.
giftfish

Postby AVPen » 22 Jan 2014, 22:25

JohnP wrote:So unlike the Anderson conversation, I guess this one was actually removed because of time constraints and not necessarily story reasons.

The conversation and Interp objects themselves exist, and I did get the engineers to show up in Purgatory and could play the conversations (Ken and Gabby, and just Ken if Gabby is dead). The problem is the objects for the camera work don't exist at all. So the camera just randomly moves around during the convo and most of the time just shows nobody. Sometimes the characters will be in frame, but can be out of focus. It's actually different every time you run through the conversation. Probably depends on exactly where Shepard stopped when you pressed the space bar.

So this is a no go, at least for now. We don't yet fully understand the camera motions (the ThaneMOD folks figured out a little bit), let alone creating from scratch. It would be a ton of work, even I did know how to do it. There are several objects that would need to be created for EVERY line in the conversations.

Ah, thanks for checking that out (and I have a feeling that that sequence was indeed cut more for budget/time constraints) - disappointing, to be sure, but maybe something to keep in mind once we're able to better understand how to utilize and even manage the camera in scenes.
AVPen
Modder

Have thanks: 116 time

Postby giftfish » 22 Jan 2014, 23:35

AVPen wrote:Ah, thanks for checking that out (and I have a feeling that that sequence was indeed cut more for budget/time constraints) - disappointing, to be sure, but maybe something to keep in mind once we're able to better understand how to utilize and even manage the camera in scenes.

This is something we're really going to be looking at for future releases of ThaneMOD, so hopefully we can get it figured out :)
giftfish

Postby crazyrabbits » 03 Mar 2014, 06:40

So unlike the Anderson conversation, I guess this one was actually removed because of time constraints and not necessarily story reasons.

It wouldn't surprise me if there were a ton of leftover files like this for various unused scenes. Still, we've made a lot of headway over the past year in terms of research - I suspect a solution to the camera problem will come sooner rather than later.
crazyrabbits
User

Have thanks: 13 time

Postby giftfish » 28 Aug 2016, 19:29

Locking, since this mod now exists :)

http://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect3/mods/248/?
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Return to Mod Ideas and Requests