Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Correctly exported normal maps

Area for texture-specific, modding-related discussion. Topics that involve models/meshes/actors go in the mesh area. As with other non-toolset related content, answers not guaranteed.

Re: Correctly exported normal maps

Postby Tarshana » 20 Sep 2016, 22:55

Ottemis is the best!

Ah yes, I understand now. There were alpha issues in some of the diffuse textures I made, too, so I have to wonder what I messed up in the normals I was playing with. I am going to re-start the normals but at least the upgraded diffuse male textures are okay. There are two female seams (on the bald/super short cuts) that are also driving me batty so I will start in on those, too.

Thank you both very much for helping me. The most I have done with modding is furniture so this has been an amazing crash course in facial textures!
Tarshana
User

Have thanks: 4 time

Postby Tarshana » 21 Sep 2016, 03:48

Edit

This is what I have going so far

Does this look right?
Tarshana
User

Postby Tarshana » 21 Sep 2016, 17:08

So what I found out is that the Texsplorer 2.0 correctly exports the textures and my Photoshop program imports and exports fine, however, there are these lines around the corners of the normal maps for some reason

So what I did was extract them, I did not change any channel colours at all, just smoothed out the corner marks and another ME3 player tested them on his game

https://imgur.com/a/qucbG

The top images were the strange normals and the bottom images are my 512 normals, so whatever you guys have done between Texsplorer and my Photoshop versions, the normals for ME3 seem to export/import just fine. I still have to save as a PNG and resave in DTX (because saving in Photoshop creates an alpha layer) but otherwise no channel mixing is needed. For the male facial textures anyway :)
Tarshana
User

Postby Ottemis » 22 Sep 2016, 01:06

Yeah you don't have to mess with the channels for ME3 normals, that's for ME2 normals.
The OP was talking about bringing ME2 normals into ME3, hence. I assumed, seeing as you responded to this thread and didn't specify, you were looking to do the same.

The lines shouldn't matter, they are outside of the wrapped texture surface.
Ottemis
Harbinger

Have thanks: 247 time

Postby Tarshana » 22 Sep 2016, 06:51

Oooooooh hahah okay NOW I understand. See, I knew I was not understanding something. I thought I had to switch out ME3 normals but that is only from ME2 import. Thank you Ottemis, I thought I was going bananas <3

I should have made a second post I just thought it was all the same. I am a dork :(
Tarshana
User

Previous

Return to Texture Discussion