Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

streaming states and level location

Dedicated area for content modders to help each other with technical aspects of modding the Mass Effect Trilogy.

streaming states and level location

Postby Deager » 28 Sep 2016, 14:53

OK, I'm probably really close to getting a player straight from CEM Lite (or Full if it seems like a good idea too) from the apartment to the goodbye scene.

Where I am now is I can trigger my remote event and all that, and I can even get the terminal up for the 525pregoodbye scene, but one of two things happens. If I proceed to try to leave the Silversun Strip, then everything is black. And if I exit the terminal, then I'm actually right where Shep would be typically standing when leaving the apartment.

So I'm thinking, this must be a streaming state issue at this point. And while in BioD_CitCas I have found the object 159, which is the only file I've found regarding streaming 525pregoodbye stuff, I don't really have a clue figuring out

a) where is the location in the level and more importantly, how do I find the location of the entrance/exit to the apartment?

b) even if I get that done, despite there being all sorts of conditionals and sequences setup already to block the 525pregoodbye, if I were to make that file stream every time someone was near that apartment door on the strip, would the least damage be increased loading/streaming times? Or would I create a really bad situation?

I think if I can get a handle on this bit I actually can get it to work. I've learned, re-learned a lot with the old import of an import, and then forgetting to change it from Core to Engine but anyway, I'm kind of getting the hang of it. But I've never had the hang of streaming states so if anyone knows or has good pointers, can you let me know?

@Femshep
I know I'm still screwing around with BioD_CitCas which you need for the controller mod. I'll make sure to release a patch. Your mod mounts higher than mine anyway so it's not all bad. I'm actually wondering if I can just use your base file as the template without issue? That's another topic I'll chat with you about.

EDIT: I thought the level editor might help but...well, if it can, I have no idea how to utilize it. I found my object, but I can figure out how to see where the location is let alone figure out where the location is I want.
Deager
Modder

Have thanks: 164 time

Re: streaming states and level location

Postby Deager » 28 Sep 2016, 21:47

I'll just add that it's kind of weird. Running procmon I can see that 525GoodbyeStart doesn't get called until after I make the selection on the terminal. There's no streaming in that I'm seeing ahead of time. So when I get the remote event to bring up the rapid travel terminal, there's still something missing in that bit despite me not seeing a whole lot in procmon before that other than the basics of BioA_CitCas_140BarFac.pcc, BioD_CitCas_310Arc_Deco1.pcc, etc. Its just the loading biks, the BioD and BioA files. But nothing about the 525GoodbyeStart until after I click the button to do so.

Maybe not a streaming issue but something else which completely stumps me?
Deager
Modder

Postby giftfish » 28 Sep 2016, 22:09

Kinko recently gave me some good advice about streaming.

Load up a relevant save in Gibbed and look at the streaming/level info in the raw tab.

Also, I haven't used Level Editor much, but ME3Creator making level viewing easy. Just make sure you pop the camera speed up to 10.

giftfish has been thanked by:
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Postby Deager » 28 Sep 2016, 23:05

And that's odd. I have a save right by the panel where Shep chooses rapid transit and then the goodbye scene and 525GoodbyeStart and 530Goodbye stuff is all not streaming and not supposed to be. This Goodbye information looks the same as a Shep save in the apartment or on the strip somewhere else...very, very odd. I'll keep digging through more saves to see if I can find anything.

The other odd bit is that this remote event occurs within the same file; which certainly explains why it gives some indication of working but I'm still a little surprised that clicking the button in on the rapid transit, which is the the same in the sequence editor anyway, as doing the remote event to kick it off, have very different results.

Anyway, I'll keep tinkering a bit. This only affects the CEM Lite crowd, of which is about 10 to 15% of the players. But I've always wanted this option and I'm so blasted close. Thanks for the info. I had never looked at those raw tabs before and I see how handy they could be.

ninjaEDIT: And I realized that the Gibbed save editor gives a nice Position bit under the Raw tab. This may prove useful.
Deager
Modder

Postby Deager » 30 Sep 2016, 02:43

OK, I at least have an idea now. It appears that biotriggerstream 159 has my 525GoodbyeStart I need. But it has even Javik in it, which is way on the other end of the area. That's when I realized, that file BioD_CitCas_125Str_Deco.pcc is probably the key. If that thing is in memory, it works with my tests. If I take any save, and have my BioD_CitCas.pcc ready to to throw the activateremoteevent, it will work everytime I'm on the main level of the strip, which is what BioD_CitCas_125Str_Deco.pcc is. However, any time I'm not there and I load a file, the game hangs if it tries to load 525GoodbyeStart.

So I figured, no problem, I'll just see what's in BioD_CitCas_125Str_Deco.pcc and mess with that. There's already a PMCheckConditional and I can use that stuff. But, there's no SeqAct_ActivateRemoteEvent. I go to add that import stuff using me3creator and after setting everything up, it crashes the game. I go all the way back and confirm that as soon as I add SeqAct_ActivateRemoteEvent, the file is invalid. Open fine with me3explorer tools but the game crashes. I can import a PMCheckState just fine, as I did that unnecessarily before, and can still do that, but the SeqAct_ActivateRemoteEvent just freaks out the file.

Any tips from anyone? I suspect it's the way I'm doing the import of the Import or an object in me3creator because I remember JohnP painstakingly walking me through every step for the AreaTransition stuff. If anyone has tips on how to import this properly, I'd love to hear what I'm missing or if for some reason certain things don't import properly.
Deager
Modder

Postby SirCxyrtyx » 30 Sep 2016, 19:55

Well, since you were able to import a PMCheckState, I'm assuming that means you've taken care of the shadercache. Can you try importing with Package Editor instead? It's much easier to do, and I consider ME3Creator to be deprecated these days. https://gfycat.com/MasculineOrdinaryCony

SirCxyrtyx has been thanked by:
SirCxyrtyx
Toolset Lead

Have thanks: 288 time

Postby Deager » 30 Sep 2016, 20:02

Thanks for the tip. I'll try to give it a go as soon as I can; too bad I'm vacationing this weekend but the Northern Lights don't happen often enough in Minnesota. :)
Deager
Modder

Postby giftfish » 30 Sep 2016, 20:10

Deager wrote:Thanks for the tip. I'll try to give it a go as soon as I can; too bad I'm vacationing this weekend but the Northern Lights don't happen often enough in Minnesota. :)

Omg I forget you're a Vikings fan.

Just... tell me you aren't a Gophers fan, Deager >.>
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Postby Deager » 01 Oct 2016, 02:14

Well, I did go to the U of M so...you know. That said, I don't think I've watched a collegiate sport in, forever ago?
Deager
Modder

Postby FemShep » 01 Oct 2016, 07:38

Controller mod compatibility is handled by mod manager. You shouldn't need to make compatibility patches as this ends up being more work and will cause issues for users. Just direct them to my nexus comments section which describes the steps. It will generate a patch for all installed mods that uses the second highest priority files with new GUIs.

Edit: CitCas though may be an exception as that file is a fix for a button prompt that I just could not get to show properly. I'd have to look. It's for distracting the guard. If I could get the damn thing to use the right string (even editing both strings didn't work! What???) I could just remove the files. The only way I could fix it was to force the kismet to read the Xbox string even though I modified the strings... I'll send you a pm. Citcas changes has no actual modifications to it beyond changing the string reference (cosmetic only).
ME3Tweaks has modding guides, tools, forums for mods, a modding wiki, and ModMaker, an online mod creation tool.
ME3 Mod Manager, the civilized way of installing and managing ME3 mods.
ME3Tweaks Facebook Page
FemShep
Modder

Have thanks: 76 time

Return to Modders' Help