Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

New(ish) Tool | Audio Editor

Development board for ME3Explorer tools. Please try to keep discussions for each tool inside its own thread.

Re: New(ish) Tool | Audio Editor

Postby giftfish » 11 Oct 2016, 17:22

Very helpful Fob, thanks. I'm still in organizing mode, as you can tell. I've only gotten to some of your post so far :)

There's really a ton of information to consider about this stuff, and Sir is going to need better organization when coding up the tool than forum posts can really provide. Therefore, I've resorted to a spreadsheet and document that I just started to put together. I'm going to synthesize as much info as I can there, provide examples, etc, and will post less-exhaustive updates in this thread, lol.

I'm very happy to give folks editing privileges, so if you, Kinko, Deager, JohnP, etc have gmail accounts, just PM me your email and I'll send you an editing permission link. Otherwise, folks can read it and then post details here and I'll update myself :)

spreadsheet
doc
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Postby giftfish » 16 Oct 2016, 18:40

FYI, I've completed about as much research as I can for now.

--All info I could find on forum posts should be built into the spreadsheet or doc
--I partially deciphered the formats for a couple elements that were missing for xentax.

If anyone has more info, please post :)
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby giftfish » 19 Oct 2016, 18:38

@Sir --

Had a chat with Deager a bit and thought I'd toss out one of his main ideas for the new editor. I'm not sure how viable it is, but it's worth mentioning :)

One of the biggest complications for modders is needing build 3773 of Wwise, which is 6-years old and no longer available for download on Audiokinetic's site. It is available on SaintsRowMods, and that is the download everyone uses. However, if that ever is removed, we've got a problem. At that point game audio becomes unmoddable for the masses.

At any rate, as you know, Wwise is needed to encode any new audio files into game-compatible Vorbis-format Wwise "WAVs". Deager's point was if we were able to do that from within the toolset, it would omit the need for Wwise. This would both be great for workflow, and it would omit needing to track down a 6 yo build of software.

I think it's a great idea, in theory, but I also see complications:

1. I'm not sure we can legally do this. There are parts of Wwise that are open source, but I'm guessing this wouldn't be one.

2. There is some type of Wwise SDK documentation on the site, but I don't know that any source code is available. I doubt it.

3. For dialogue, the WAV conversion is basically all that's needed. Essentially what ww2ogg does, but in reverse. It's possible the modder will need to make changes to Channels, Sample Rate, and Quality, however, in almost all cases I leave "As Input" selected for the former two. For Quality, I tend to leave it at the default of 4 now that we're able to make our own AFCs.

4. For music, things get more complicated, since the SeekTable needs to be set to 8192.

5. I have no idea how ambient sounds or cinedesign sounds are handled (footsteps, datapad beeps, etc). They might be treated like music, but I really don't know. These would almost always be WEM files stored in the bank.

----

So yeah, likely not doable, but if it were, those are the minimum features we'd need to ditch Wwise.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Previous

Return to ME3Explorer Toolset Development