Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

[SOLVED] Weird BIK artifact

Dedicated area for content modders to help each other with technical aspects of modding the Mass Effect Trilogy.

[SOLVED] Weird BIK artifact

Postby giftfish » 21 Oct 2016, 19:22

Well, this hasn't happened to me before.

I'm rendering a BIK for a new dream and I'm getting a very weird result: a black bar on the right side.

Above: The image in front is the problem BIK. Behind it is the same video as an MPEG4 in WMP. In the far back is a different BIK in the same resolution showing proper format.

I do my initial rendering in Corel VideoStudio and tried both AVI and MPEG-4 format. They each appear fine in Windows Media Player outside of RAD Tools; there's no black bar. However, once I render the BIK, the bar appears. There's no scaling/cropping set inside of RAD; scaling does occur inside VS and the final video is 1920x1080.

I've checked some videos I made just back in June and they don't have this problem. They were MPEG-4 and were much simpler, but level of complexity should be irrelevant. I've also compared the File Info inside RAD for those to this new video and everything is identical short of the Frames, Time, and Size.

I have no clue what's going on. From what I can see there is no distortion in the aspect ratio. It's almost like RAD Tools is cropping the right side of the video or losing the data for that small section of video. The first time I ended up with sort of... frame smearing in the bar area. The second time I got just this empty black area.

Have anyone else experienced this and know how to fix it?
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Re: Weird BIK artifact

Postby giftfish » 25 Oct 2016, 16:27

After some experimentation and deager trying a few things on his end, I discovered that using "smoothing" in more recent releases of RAD Tools is causing the problem. Smoothing = black bar, no smoothing = no black bar.

I've used it in the past and it provides decent results. I consider it necessary to reduce compression artifacts and aliasing... but apparently those are going to have to stick around for now.

I'm going to drop RAD Tools a line and see if they know about it. They have no bug reporting forum as far as I can tell, and they do all tech support via email. Wtf.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Return to Modders' Help