Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Intel apparently has its own DDS plugin for Photoshop

Area for texture-specific, modding-related discussion. Topics that involve models/meshes/actors go in the mesh area. As with other non-toolset related content, answers not guaranteed.

Intel apparently has its own DDS plugin for Photoshop

Postby CreeperLava » 30 Oct 2016, 18:39

This is definitely not a texture question, but I found no better place to post it :/.

I've always used Nvidia's DDS plugin for Photoshop, and never thought there were alternatives (for PS). Turns out there is at least one, Intel has made its own DDS plugin for PS, less than a year ago. It's much more up to date than Nvidia's (supports up to DX11, not very useful for us, but still).

Here are the links :
Official website : https://software.intel.com/en-us/articl ... rks-plugin
Github : https://github.com/GameTechDev/Intel-Te ... rks-Plugin

A few screenshots :
Like Nvidia, you have the option to load the MIPs if there are any. It loads them in separate layers, not in the same layer than the texture itself like Nvidia's plugin.
The saving dialog :
BC1-7 are supported, and there are legacy options for pre-DX10 BC1 (DXT1) and BC3 (DXT5).
And a preview, just like Image Engine :P :

It isn't reliable with norms, though. It can't load V8U8, and has issues with ATI2.
Apart from that, a nice alternative to the old Nvidia plugin. I haven't compared their compression algorithms closely yet.

CreeperLava has been thanked by:
CreeperLava
User

Have thanks: 83 time

Re: Intel apparently has its own DDS plugin for Photoshop

Postby Alvaro » 30 Oct 2016, 22:19

Well, I was surprised to see no replacement for the ancient nVidia pluing for so many years so good news here.

@CL, that yellow norm... looks like it is inverted. Have you tried Image --> Adjustements --> Invert ? I wouldn´t be surprised to have a blue norm then.

Thanks for the heads up!
Alvaro
Last edited by Alvaro on 30 Oct 2016, 22:38, edited 1 time in total.
Alvaro
User

Have thanks: 12 time

Postby KFreon » 30 Oct 2016, 22:32

Sweet. That one looks a bit better than the nVidia one.
I just don't get why they don't handle normals properly.
Such a shame.

Good find though.
KFreon
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 520 time

Postby CreeperLava » 31 Oct 2016, 07:29

@Alvaro I knew there had to be a way to display it correctly, thanks, it worked. It can open 3Dc and display it with this workaround, but still can't save it properly. However, it has the option to save as uncompressed DDS, which apparently works even for 3Dc norms. Just have to convert it back to ATI2 with IE or DXTT, I suppose.

@K I suppose the fact that Bioware customized their norm formats (iirc) is at least partly the cause of this. I opened a few bug reports here : https://github.com/GameTechDev/Intel-Te ... gin/issues
CreeperLava
User

Have thanks: 83 time

Return to Texture Discussion