Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

ME2 upscaled 3Dc normal mips

This area is now closed due to cessation of regular toolset development and move of project hosting to GitHub. If you find a potential bug, always visit the wiki first. If it's determined you've located a bug, please submit it as an Issue on Github.

ME2 upscaled 3Dc normal mips

Postby Alvaro » 31 Oct 2016, 20:05

Hi:

Once more, I´m not sure where to post this because I have no idea if I am working with faulty textures (most probably) or this is a toolset bug (I hope is not).

I have a few ME2 upscaled 3Dc normals that all have one MIP less than expected. And that missing MIP is the 1x1 smaller one. That may explain why I have not noticed any vissual glitch ingame.

I loaded them in Stable 3.0 TPF Tools and after analysis those are not flagged. I´m unable to recall if this is correct -because these have equal or more mips than vanilla- or if should have been flagged because the mip count is not that expected for their size.

Those are installed anyway.

I loaded one of those 3Dc normals in Image Engine:

And, FWIW, this is the DDS header.

I tried to fix the mips using IE:

But the resulting image has a wrong number of mips too:

And this is the DDS header:

But a workaround thatfixed it was to remove all mips using IE:

And, then, fixing that "no mips" texture with IE again:

So the new texture has the correct mips count.

I´m sorry to say I do not have knowlegde enough to determine what´s wrong in those textures but if anyone out there wanted to take a look, here you got:

https://mega.nz/#!cRJTxJyZ!mRN9sOUPRyfmSdmbmQ_0nF_qCtElQp0lHckbcZ6GX2w

I was aware of Mips issues in the past for V8U8 textures but these are 3Dc. I cannot tell for sure about it´s source but perhaps these came from faulty V8U8 ones. -?- No idea.

Any input will be highly welcomed!

Regards!
Alvaro
Alvaro
User

Have thanks: 12 time

Re: ME2 upscaled 3Dc normal mips

Postby KFreon » 31 Oct 2016, 22:21

I was about to go on about how the number of mips isn't really relevant to the toolset, till I saw that you did manage to get 13 mips...
To be clear, this isn't a problem with or for the toolset. It doesn't care how many mips there are despite it being an "error" since the old days of the toolset.
Mipmapping is so trivial that I don't think I'll even mention the number of mips in the UI rewrite, after all, mipmapping is just a halved image.

All that said, this is still a bug with the ImageEngine, so could you post it here please, and I'll get onto it eventually.
After that's done, I'll close this thread here too.

Nice catch btw, probably wouldn't have noticed :)
KFreon
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 520 time

Postby Alvaro » 31 Oct 2016, 23:09

KFreon wrote:so could you post it here please, and I'll get onto it eventually.
After that's done, I'll close this thread here too.

@KF: Done!

Thank you!
Alvaro
Alvaro
User

Have thanks: 12 time

Postby KFreon » 01 Nov 2016, 03:36

Much thanks :)
Closing.
KFreon
Toolset Developer