Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

LOD settings, empty mipmaps and more...

Area for texture-specific, modding-related discussion. Topics that involve models/meshes/actors go in the mesh area. As with other non-toolset related content, answers not guaranteed.

LOD settings, empty mipmaps and more...

Postby Alvaro » 19 Nov 2016, 15:45

Hi:

Since Aquadran introduced his MassEffectModder texture replacement toolset at the Third-party Utilities board a few weeks ago, I was curious about one of the things he said regarding his texture replacement approach where, among a few other things, the Texture Group remained unchanged for modded textures, requiring to increase TextureGroups (TG) LOD settings then.

aquadran wrote:However if you increase max resolution for texture groups, that creates another issue, null pointers. So to avoid it you need to remove them from all texture groups which are affected. Since the tool changes all groups, it removes all null pointers from the game data

Well, I have done a light research about this and I ran a few tests based on vanilla ME2 game too.

Most probably the few things I´ve found are old news for anyone of you both being here since early toolset development days or with a top toolset knowledge, but that was not my case for sure.

To avoid an extremely TL/TR post, I wrote a small doc about it.

For anyone interested in taking a look, here you got that .pdf plus all data collected (screenshots, debug logs, textures details) and the few textures I used in those modding runs.

https://mega.nz/#!IF4niZCI!FgYVG-EN0ZDH ... HPiddSEfrc

HTH!
Alvaro

PS And, of course, to anyone interested in the LOD settings thing, do not miss the "Research - MIP Maps and Texturegroups" thread by CreeperLava in this very same board.

Alvaro has been thanked by:
Alvaro
User

Have thanks: 12 time

Re: LOD settings, empty mipmaps and more...

Postby KFreon » 19 Nov 2016, 23:04

Nice well presented document there :D

The higher mipmaps with "null" values are indeed ignored by Texplorer. I didn't even consider removing them.
Quite annoying that they exist, but I'd love to add similar functionality to Texplorer and just up the standard TextureGroups to 4k or whatever.

The aquarium textures are what greatly interested me in aquadran's new tool. Definitely wanna get that working.
KFreon
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 520 time

Re: LOD settings, empty mipmaps and more...

Postby CreeperLava » 20 Nov 2016, 08:25

KFreon wrote:Nice well presented document there :D

The higher mipmaps with "null" values are indeed ignored by Texplorer. I didn't even consider removing them.
Quite annoying that they exist, but I'd love to add similar functionality to Texplorer and just up the standard TextureGroups to 4k or whatever.

The aquarium textures are what greatly interested me in aquadran's new tool. Definitely wanna get that working.

Yes ! That is great news :). Is it complicated to implement ? Because if it doesn't take too much time, it would be nice to have that feature in ME3Explorer 3.0, since the WPF branch has no ETA for now.
CreeperLava
User

Have thanks: 83 time

Return to Texture Discussion