Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Adding options to character creation sliders

Basic questions on how to achieve certain modding goals with the toolset. Texture and mesh-related questions have their own subforum. Answers not guaranteed.

Adding options to character creation sliders

Postby ElysiumFic » 09 Dec 2016, 09:09

I am so close to a breakthrough on the custom hairs mods.

I have managed (for mShep, at least) to clone a hair in BioP_char.pcc (the problem I was having before with it breaking the game had to do with the savegame I was importing in my experiment, and once I tried creating the new character from a different import or from scratch, it didn't crash anymore) and thus create a new hair rather than replacing the mesh and texture for an existing hair.

If I can figure out how to get the slider to display this new hair as you click through the hair options, people will be able to use the custom hair mods DLC from the character creator onward, without any savegame editing required (unless the wanted to change the hairstyle they are using mid-game), complete with being able to see the hairs in the character creator.

Unfortunately, I cannot find where to edit this darn slider. I tried looking through the coalesced, and I thought it was in the Hair slider options in bioui.ini-->sfxgame.biomorphfacefrontend-->maleremappings but just adding to the numbers for the hair slider doesn't seem to do the trick. I'm not even sure that's the right place to look. There are only 11 numbers there, and in the character creation window there are 16 hair options by default (my mod would add 17 and upward, obviously.)

I'm so close here, I just need to know where to add options to the slider. If that slider turns out to be untouchable I'm going to be miffed.
ElysiumFic
User

Have thanks: 4 time

Re: Adding options to character creation sliders

Postby Kinkojiro » 09 Dec 2016, 09:22

Look for SFXMorphFrontEnd_Male or SFXMorphFrontEnd_Female this has all the hair sliders.

Kinkojiro has been thanked by:
Kinkojiro
Modder

Have thanks: 249 time

Postby ElysiumFic » 09 Dec 2016, 10:58

That was exactly what I needed. Didn't quite get it right tonight (something is weird about the texture in the character creator even though all the textures are installed and should be displaying properly, which suggests to me I missed a setting somewhere when adding a new array element, but I DID get the new array element to show up, so I'm close. Will play with it more tomorrow, thank you!
ElysiumFic
User

Postby Ottemis » 09 Dec 2016, 20:44

Well ****, I've been working on a CC mod for months now. If you are close to release, that almost forces me to do the same, otherwise I'd basically be wasting months of effort. I was planning to release a complete product (read: new sliders and new hairs / complexions), and have it be a surprise. If I release now it'd be unfinished. I have functional hairs, I have functional new makeup sliders, but I'm not happy with their fill and the mod is not clean enough to release I feel. But yeah, I've got this all working, I was aiming to release a complete CC overhaul mod.

I actually started working on this project with a former ME3Explorer coder, Ashley 66444, more than two years ago. She disappeared for months at some point and that stopped our progress, she never returned back to the project but had given me permission to continue the work. Thing is, I had a baby and that really gobbled up my time, so I've been working on this on and off, porting hairs for ME1/ME2, making ME3 hairs available in the CC that weren't previously, creating new ones, adding them to the CC one by one. This has been a labour of love, you could say, so ahh. I'm finding it really hard to find words to describe how this makes me feel.

No offence meant, obviously it's cool you're working on a large project, but it's a bit of a kick in the groin for me hah.
Ottemis
Harbinger

Have thanks: 247 time

Postby ElysiumFic » 09 Dec 2016, 21:58

Well, I wouldn't say I'm close to release, but this has always been sort of my end-game for compiling all the disparate hair mods other people have made as DLCs. I just didn't think it was actually within my grasp until the past couple days.

You are an extremely well-known and respected modder and I definitely don't want to step on any toes. all I've been doing is taking other people's mods (with permission) and making them into DLCs to make them easier to use, because hair modding has been just a pain for everyone until now. I'm sure there is a way we can work this so that we don't negate each other's efforts. Up to and including me turning the 220ish hair mods I've collected over to you and letting you fold them into your project.

Honestly, I'm less concerned with getting the credit and kudos for doing it (since none of the mods are my work; I just repackaged them) than I am with 1) knowing I can do it because I like to challenge myself like that, and 2) getting them out to people because this has been such a bugaboo for people modding their game and the hair mod DLCs have made things so much easier for everyone (just look at how many fewer people are asking for help making their hair mods work these days.)

I don't think it's a great idea to completely forget about releasing all these hair mods, simply because if we don't release them, people will be asking for them. If you want, I can build my mod, complete with cloning and adding in all the hair mods, then turn it over to you for you to make whatever other additions and changes you were planning in your mod, or whatever works best. I'm happy to do whatever.
Last edited by ElysiumFic on 09 Dec 2016, 22:06, edited 1 time in total.

ElysiumFic has been thanked by:
ElysiumFic
User

Postby Ottemis » 09 Dec 2016, 22:05

Maybe we should PM about this and discuss together. Nexus PM? Honestly I check that way more often than onforum, but this is fine also.
Ottemis
Harbinger

Have thanks: 247 time

Postby ElysiumFic » 09 Dec 2016, 22:07

Absolutely I'll hit you up there.

ElysiumFic has been thanked by:
ElysiumFic
User

Return to How do I...?