Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Apply a new texture to a model

Area for discussions related to meshes/models, 3D modeling programs, and the like. Can cross over into texture-related discussion. As with other non-toolset related areas, answers not guaranteed.

Apply a new texture to a model

Postby Filipi » 09 Dec 2016, 01:27

Hi

I made a thing where I took an existing model from the game and added a brand new mesh and imported it back into the game, so that the final model is made of 2 meshes combined into one. It appears in game just fine, except the custom mesh doesn't have any textures.

I used this tutorial http://me3explorer.wikia.com/wiki/Adding_New_PCC-Stored_Textures to install new textures in a .pcc and they appear in Texplorer after I create a tree.

I can't find any sort of hint on how I should assign the part of the model that is not textured, to use that newly added texture. Any help?
Filipi
User

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Apply a new texture to a model

Postby giftfish » 09 Dec 2016, 02:06

This question is better-suited to the Mesh and Models area.

Moving.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Postby Filipi » 10 Dec 2016, 19:50

I made some progress and was able to apply a material to the mesh properly.

Following this guide http://me3explorer.freeforums.org/updated-adding-new-meshes-materials-textures-via-cloning-t1100.html, I tried to create another material to be used by the new mesh. The tutorial uses a .pcc file where the material is a "MaterialInstanceConstant" class, but the file I was editing only had a "Material" class that I cloned, I don't know if that matters or not. In the end I got 2 different materials with different sets of textures that I could see and edit in Texplorer, and apply in Meshplorer.

When I try to apply the new material to my mesh, then the new textures are not used, the textures for the default material are used instead. I know that applying the material works, because if I apply another material that was already in the .pcc then that one works fine, it's just the new material doesn't use the new textures. I'm fairly sure that I followed the tutorial to the letter (except adding a new mesh since there's one already and using "MaterialInstanceConstant", since there wasn't one to clone).

Is there a different method that I have to follow when cloning the "Material" class to make it use the new textures?
Filipi
User

Postby Ottemis » 15 Dec 2016, 17:06

Which 3D program are you using?
Ottemis
Harbinger

Have thanks: 247 time

Postby Filipi » 15 Dec 2016, 22:36

I'm using 3ds Max 2012 with ActorX 1.27 importer and ActorX 2.50 exporter.
Filipi
User

Postby Ottemis » 17 Dec 2016, 19:37

What you're attempting to do is often referred to as a 'frankenmesh'. You'll have to get both meshes onto the same UV wrap texture surface under a single material. I can write you a guide for it using 3DS 2012, but i'll need a bit to prep it. I'll see if I can cook it up this weekend though. I'll likely post it directly to the wiki, then toss you the link and if you have any follow up questions after that, feel free to poke me.
Ottemis
Harbinger

Postby Filipi » 18 Dec 2016, 15:03

So you mean unwrapping the UV map of the new .psk file, and fitting all the textures onto one map?

I can do this already, but it is quite the hassle when dealing with multiple objects that each have a different texture, and putting them into the same material.
I was thinking that there was a way to avoid doing this step, and simply adding in new textures in the form of a material, and simply applying that to the mesh section i wanted.
This is the guide I used so far for putting new meshes in, if that's what you mean by frankenmesh, then I'm good.
http://www.girlplaysgame.com/mass-effect/mass-effect-how-to-mod-to-your-hearts-content/mass-effect-modding-tutorial-creating-custom-meshes-and-textures/
Filipi
User

Postby Ottemis » 18 Dec 2016, 16:19

Aight, fine by me. And yes, that's what I meant with Frankenmeshing.
I'll have to write one for the wiki regardless but then i'll take my time doing so.

I assumed you went the route of cloning textures/materials because you failed to merge the IDs and get both mesh parts onto the same wrap. Always preferrable to me fixing things on the mesh and texture front rather than messing with cloning when I don't have to, but then again, I come from texture/mesh modding and only recently started cloning so yeah. Cloning is much 'younger'.

As to adding a new material for that mesh and getting it to use it for that meshpart, I don't have the time to dive into that I'm afraid. I don't have direct experience and sussing it out would cost me too much time, maybe someone else has firsthand experience and can chime in.

Ottemis has been thanked by:
Ottemis
Harbinger

Return to Mesh and Model Discussion