Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Tutorial: Basic mesh editing in Blender

Dedicated area for texture and mesh-related tutorials. This includes modder's tutorials such as how to create your own TFC files. Do NOT post help requests in tutorials; use the relevant help board below.

Tutorial: Basic mesh editing in Blender

Postby Splinterz » 14 Oct 2013, 14:39

Blender 2.68 has a built in psk/psa exporter. To enable it, Start Blender > Files > User Preferences > Addons tab

Click the check boxes for:

Import-Export: Export Unreal Skeleton Mesh (psk)/Animation Set (psa)
Import-Export: Import Unreal Skeleton Mesh (psk)/Animation Set (psa)

Then save user settings (bottom left) and close the user preferences window.

TIP:
Numpad + and numpad - can be used to zoom in and out of menu nodes to make them easier to read
Numpad 5 switches between Perpesctive and Orthographic views. (Orthographic is best).
Numapd 1 shows Front Ortho or Front Persp, depending on which view you currently have active.
Numpad 3 shows Right Ortho or Right Persp, depending on which view you currently have active.
Numpad 7 shows Top Ortho or Top Persp, depending on which view you currently have active
Numpad 2 and 8 rotate z Axis
Numpad 4 and 6 rotate y axis

Right click to select objects.
TAB to enter/exit edit mode
H to hide objects
ALT + H to unhide objects
Mouse Wheel up and down to zoom in and out
shift + hold mouse button 3 + drag to scroll scene up, down, left or right
Hold mouse button 3 + drag to rotate selected object

Step 1, Creating armature

ME3Explorer > Developer Tools > Mesh > Meshploer > File > Load PCC > BIOG_HMF_ARM_CTH_R.pcc > Any MDL file will do > Transfer > Export to PSK > Bones.psk

Blender > File > Import > Skeletal Mesh (psk) > Bones.psk

press numpad 5, numpad 3, mouse wheel to zoom, (wheel) to orient your view.
Right click the Mesh object to select it and press delete. We don't need this mesh for now, just the armature.
File > SaveAs > Bones.blend
minimise the blender window for the time being

TIP: It is important to save any file as a blend file before exporting to psk!

Step 2, Adding a new Mesh

ME3Explorer > Developer Tools > Mesh > Meshploer > File > Load PCC > BioD_CitHub_Miranda.pcc HMF_ARM_MIRa_MDL.pcc > Transfer > Export to PSK > Miranda.psk
Keep your bones.blend minimised, Open a NEW blender > file > import Miranda.psk
Right click the armature object and delete it.
right click the mesh object and CTR+C to copy it to the buffer.
Now switch back to bones.blend and CTRL+V to paste the mesh. you can now close Miranda.psk

you will notice the mesh object does not look right, this is normal, right click the mesh and press tab to enter edit mode, press W to bring up the specials context menu
click Shade Smooth (NOT SMOOTH), press tab to exit edit mode.

Save As Miranda.blend

Step 3, parenting the armature to the mesh

On the top right hand node you will see a tree that looks like this:

________Scene
________________Rendered Layers
________________World
________________Arm Object
________________Miranda

There is an orange circle with a triangle in it, just before the model name, click and hold this icon and drag it on to the line above: ArmObject
A small context menu will appear saying parent to object, go ahead and drop the model onto the armature, another menu will appear, select OBJECT.

if you expand ArmObject, click the + sign: you should now see a tree that looks like this:

________Scene
________________Rendered Layers
________________World
________________ArmObject
________________________Pose
________________________aramaturedata
________________________Miranda

Click Miranda in the tree so that the mesh is the current active object, highlighted white.
Just below the secene node is another node with a row of icons, click the add modifier icon, looks like a small spanner.

click the object box and select ArmObject from the list, it should be the only item in the list. Make sure Vertex groups is CHECKED. click Apply.

SAVE

Step 4 Exporting

On the left hand nodes menu, if you scroll down, you will see a sub heading that says UDK Export, UNCHECK smooth groups and
click the toggle console button, this will bring up a window that will show you the export progress. Click File and export skeletal
mesh (PSK). Export the file to Miranda.psk you can overwrite the one you exported from ME3Explorer. it should take about
300 to 400 seconds depending on your system. So be patient. you can watch the progress in the console window.

I'll try and update this with pictures soon.

Good luck

Splinterz has been thanked by:
Splinterz
User

Have thanks: 12 time

Re: Blender 2.68 updates

Postby WarrantyVoider » 14 Oct 2013, 18:59

well ok, as long as you run through udk editor its fine, dont use the psk import, because that has then the trouble converting it all (udk is nearly me3 engine, so should do better calcs and no errors). I never tried blender myself for this, just Praedor had alot problems with it...

greetz WV
always backup your files!
mess with the best or die like the rest!
"I tried everything!" - "mkay, please list that..." ; please dont pm me for help, we have a help section
WarrantyVoider
Emeritus

Have thanks: 626 time

Re: Blender 2.68 updates

Postby Splinterz » 14 Oct 2013, 19:34

oh i agree totally, if you try import through psk the camera position is still in the centre of the model. it has to be converted through udk so that camera postion can be altered ME3 engine.
Splinterz
User

Have thanks: 12 time

Return to TexMesh Tutorials