Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Problems with hair mods

We don't provide mod support; that's the mod author's job. Contact them with questions, first. If they are no longer supporting the mod, you may ask here, but there's no guarantee of an answer.

Re: A place for mod USERS (not modders) to get help?

Postby ElysiumFic » 25 Feb 2016, 02:06

LOL I'm wordy as all heck. Sorry. :oops:

I know this seems like I'm just jumping in the deep end of the pool. I'm not trying to waste anyone's time. My goal here was to, like I said, try to find a way to make hair-modding idiot proof, which would have the nifty benefit of reducing the number of questions you get about it. :D It would also eliminate a major drawback with the majority of hairmods, which is that they mess up Allers' look if she's around.

I swear to you on my firstborn, I've read the wiki. I've read the Setup Guide and I've been using the toolset successfully for some time. But just because of the way my brain is wired (I'm very slightly on the autism spectrum) my learning style means that a wiki is just going to be a wall of text to me until I actually get hands-on and start pulling things apart and trying to put them back together. Nothing makes sense to me until I actually put it into practice.

So when a situation like the one that first started me on this path occurs--i.e. something that WAS working STOPS working for no apparent reason--I need to get hands-on to try to figure out how to keep it from happening. It's not arrogance here making me assume I can do this no matter how little I know about it. It's just literally the only way I can learn what I need to know.

So forgive me if that seems like I'm just blithely and ignorantly fumbling around with things I don't understand. I'm trying to understand them. That's why I'm here. To benefit myself for an issue I was having, yes, but hopefully others will benefit as well when I'm done.

2. Only GUI textures are PCC-stored, as the tutorial title says. Hair textures are not GUI textures, which is why that method isn't working for you.

Okay. I wasn't sure because Ashley's tutorial, which resulted in this mod seemed to include the new textures and materials in the PCC. BUT they weren't necessarily custom, imported textures. I was trying to figure out how it worked there to see if it would work for me.

3. You never stated the format these hair mods are in.

Sorry. Pretty much all the ones I've dealt with are like the one you downloaded. They have been in the form of a PCC file with the mesh already applied, a .tpf file to run through texmod or TPF/DDS tools (except for one where the mesh is in a .mod and then a .tpf with the texture to be applied after that's run.) Which sounds lovely and idiot-proof and if it were working for me consistently, I would probably have never attempted any of this.

Except, as I've said, I'm repeatedly coming up against an issue where it just. stops. working. The texture won't apply, no matter how I try to use it. It won't apply with Texmod. It won't apply with TPF/DDS tools. It just flat-out won't apply.

Again I swear to you I'm not trying to waste your time on something that could be easily fixed by someone who would just RTFM. I know how to do it. It just will work for a while and then it won't and I need to figure out how to keep that from happening. If along the way I come up with something that will benefit others so much the better. It's my meagre way of paying it forward, I guess.

I had noticed that the textures were in the wrong format, though I admit I forgot that bit on the wiki about autofix not working all the time. At one point I used the Image Engine to convert them but it's possible I got rid of those files during one of my recent vanilla rebuilds and have been using the wrong ones again. The oldest version of the toolset I have is rev653; I've been using rev733 for most things the past couple weeks, but I was using rev653 before that.

I don't know off the top of my head if I had the issue with the textures just spontaneously not applying while using rev653. Something to consider the next time I start experiencing the problem with textures just no longer applying. So far it hasn't happened on my most recent build and I've been using rev653 for that. It was definitely happening when I was using rev733.

I did post over at girlplaysgames about the problem I was having, but the thing is, it's NOT just her mods the issue was with (when I was having it, right now everything is working *knock on wood) It's with any hair mod I've downloaded. The person who authored it doesn't matter, the same thing happens: the texture stops applying. Which says to me the problem goes beyond the mod itself being faulty. It's either a problem with my build specifically, or with the way I'm using them. And since the way I WAS using them is exactly the way they're supposed to be used (except maybe that I would change hair mods multiple times) I don't see how that's the case.
ElysiumFic
User

Have thanks: 4 time

Postby ElysiumFic » 01 Mar 2016, 19:13

As you said, a lot of the problem with textures not applying these days is because of the fact that the modded textures being in DTX5 when the ProShort diff is in DTX1. Autofix wasn't solving the problem obviously. So normally you would think, okay, fine, so let's use Texmod. Except that wasn't working either, for me. I have no idea why.

Anyway I took matters into my own hands (with some help from me3deager and kinkojiro) and accomplished the following:

1) I switched out the DTX1 ProShort diff for a DTX5 diff (the sexy one, which was right above it in PCC Editor 2.0.) That way, texplorer didn't throw up any errors about trying to replace a DTX1 texture with DTX5.

2) Just to make things REALLY SUPER DUPER plug-and-play (and give us the ability to essentially swap hair mods out at will) I packaged a number of them in DLCs. Now all one has to do is edit the savegame once and after that just take one DLC out and put another in whenever we want to change hairs mid-game.

3) (Fixing a personal pet peeve of mine) I reverse-engineered the method kinkojiro recommended to solve issue #1 and applied it to meshes to replace the CustomCute mesh with ProJessica. So now we can use these ProJessica hair mods in CustomCute instead without getting any errors about having the wrong number of bones. Which means we no longer have to worry about conflicts with mods that change Allers' appearance nor do we have to deal with the annoyance of having her look like a weird mutant creature (or even just copying out hairstyle) when we visit the cargo hold.

I won't upload these to Nexus or anything unless all the authors of the various mods I re-packaged as DLCs want me to. I need to contact them all (I think I used mods from four or five different people.) If anyone wants to see, they can grab them here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwKYI ... jQxOE0zaE0

I also included a document that is more an overview of what I did than an actual tutorial, because with my communication issues I don't trust myself to write a tutorial that anyone else would find easy to follow.)

ElysiumFic has been thanked by:
ElysiumFic
User

Postby CreeperLava » 01 Mar 2016, 19:44

Wow, thank you for sharing this ! Awesome work, I hope you'll be able to publish it on Nexus too :).
CreeperLava
User

Have thanks: 83 time

Postby ElysiumFic » 01 Mar 2016, 19:54

Thank you! I'm glad I was able to meet at least two of my three goals.

1) I got them packaged as DLCs to make swapping them super-easy
2) I got the ProJessica mods to use the CustomCute mesh spot instead so now there is no longer going to be a problem with those mods conflicting with, say, the Modest Allers mod or whatever.

My third goal, i.e. finding out how to add these to the character creator (even if it were as simple as, say, selecting a single text choice that says "Custom/Modded Hair" at which point it would create an initial savegame with the Mesh and Hair Diff/Hair Mask set to what we would normally have to input when we edit the savegame, and thus if we had one of these in the DLC folder we could play with modded hair from the very get-go rather than waiting until we can save to go in and edit it) I'm realistic enough to understand that it's probably just a pipe dream and not something I'll ever be able to make happen.
ElysiumFic
User

Postby SirCxyrtyx » 16 Mar 2016, 00:45

ElysiumFic wrote:finding out how to add these to the character creator

I think this is possible, but it won't be easy. The character creation info is defined in BioP_Char.pcc, so you would need to include that in any DLC hair mod. Before we even get to how to edit BioP_Char to make this work, there's a couple issues (not insurmountable). The vanilla BioP_Char is ~54mb, so that's a big increase to your download size. Even worse, it's overwritten in the Genesis DLC, so you might need to include two downloads for each hair, one for people with Genesis, and one for people without it. Or you could just tell people that Genesis can't be used with custom hair.

SirCxyrtyx has been thanked by:
SirCxyrtyx
Toolset Lead

Have thanks: 288 time

Postby SirCxyrtyx » 16 Mar 2016, 05:39

I've made some progress on this. I've managed to mod BioP_Char so that savegame editing is no longer required, but it's still a bit funky. The way I've got it working goes like this:
  • Choose the rightmost hair option in the Character creator, then start the game.
  • Once it starts playing the opening movie, immediately quit the game.
  • Reopen ME3, and click Resume.
  • Voila. Starts from the beginning with the custom hair.
Obviously not ideal. It works this way because if you start the game from the Character creator, it actually loads Shepard's hair mesh from BioP_Char, whereas if you start from a saved game, it loads from BIOG_HMF_HIR_PRO_HAIRMOD like it should. You could probably fix this by replacing the Hair mesh and texture for the rightmost hairstyle in BioP_Char with the mods mesh and texture, but I haven't tried that. The advantage of the way I've got it working now is that the same BioP_Char will work for any of the DLCs.

Here's the BioP_Char: (broken file, will have fixed one soon)
Just drop that into one of the DLCs, Re-TOC, and you're good to go (using the method I described above). Feel free to distribute it with your mods if you want. One additional caveat: This is the vanilla BioP_Char. If someone has the Genesis DLC this won't crash their game or anything, it will just deactivate Genesis.

SirCxyrtyx has been thanked by:
SirCxyrtyx
Toolset Lead

Have thanks: 288 time

Postby ElysiumFic » 16 Mar 2016, 17:28

OMG wow, I didn't think anyone was replying to this thread so I didn't check for a few days and look what I came back to! And just as I started distributing the DLCs!

I will try to implement this and change my instructions for the DLCs accordingly.

Thank you so much. This is awesome!
ElysiumFic
User

Postby ElysiumFic » 16 Mar 2016, 19:04

Hmm okay,this is what I get when I try to use the character creator with that edited BioP_Char.pcc file:

I'm going to mess around and see if I can figure out why. I did install some skin textures yesterday too, because I wasn't going to be able to get through screencapping 100+ of these mods dealing with the default complexions. So there are other variables I need to rule out.

But I'm still pretty stoked to know that this is even possible. Thank you so much for that.
ElysiumFic
User

Postby CreeperLava » 16 Mar 2016, 19:55

Maybe a TOC Bin Update would fix it ?
http://me3explorer.wikia.com/wiki/Troub ... es_in_game.

CreeperLava has been thanked by:
CreeperLava
User

Have thanks: 83 time

Postby ElysiumFic » 16 Mar 2016, 23:16

LOL, that's always the first thing I check, so no. Still working with it to see what I can figure out.
ElysiumFic
User

PreviousNext

Return to Other People's Stuff