Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Problems with hair mods

We don't provide mod support; that's the mod author's job. Contact them with questions, first. If they are no longer supporting the mod, you may ask here, but there's no guarantee of an answer.

Re: A place for mod USERS (not modders) to get help?

Postby SirCxyrtyx » 17 Mar 2016, 00:04

ElysiumFic wrote:Hmm okay,this is what I get when I try to use the character creator with that edited BioP_Char.pcc file:

100% my fault. I thought I had a vanilla ME3 install, but it turns out I had custom textures installed. I have no memory of doing that, but the game files don't lie. Really sorry about that. I'll get a you truly vanilla BioP_Char with my modifications shortly.

SirCxyrtyx has been thanked by:
SirCxyrtyx
Toolset Lead

Have thanks: 288 time

Postby ElysiumFic » 17 Mar 2016, 00:14

ROFL no problem. I suspected that might be it when ME3Explorer wouldn't add it to the tree while I was building the DLC texture file.

The good news is, the hair aspect of it definitely works!

I would love to know what you did so I could play around with it and implement it for the male hair mods, too. This is an awesome development.

Now to figure out a way to get the savegame edited automatically for people who aren't starting from the beginning.

This is so nifty, thank you so much.
ElysiumFic
User

Have thanks: 4 time

Postby SirCxyrtyx » 17 Mar 2016, 02:31

Alright, here's the file I should have given you the first time: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kazn3jrnss0xb ... r.zip?dl=0

I'd also like to note that your instructions on when to quit the game are incorrect. You can quit the game as soon as you see "Electronic Arts Presents", and there will already be a save. No need to wait for the kid playing with the ship.

Here's what I did:
Export 28081: SFXMorphFaceFrontEnd_Female is the object that contains the female character creation info. Look in "AdditionalParams" -> "Hair" -> "HairComponents" and you'll see an array, each entry corresponding to a hairstyle in the character creator. I made note of the value of the "HairMesh" property, as well as the values of the "m_oTexture" properties in the "m_aHairTextures" array that corresponded to "HAIR_Diff" and "HAIR_Mask", as those were the properties that you said people should edit in the save editor. In the exports view, I located the exports for these objects (remember that the number displayed in the interpreter is one greater tan the number shown in the export list), and used the Meta Data Editor tab to change their names to HMF_HIR_PROCustom_Cute_MDL, and HMF_HIR_PROShort_Diff respectively. I had to add those names to the namelist first, using Edit > Add Name. Then, I changed export 15281's name to BIOG_HMF_HIR_PRO_HAIRMOD, export 15292 to Hair_Short02, and I changed export 28172's link (also edited in the Meta Data Editor) to export 15294: Hair_PROCustomCute.

All these changes mean that when a player chooses the rightmost hair style, the string that ends up in the savegame for the mesh is BIOG_HMF_HIR_PRO_HAIRMOD.Hair_PROCustomCute.HMF_HIR_PROCustom_Cute_MDL, and for the two textures is BIOG_HMF_HIR_PRO_HAIRMOD.Hair_Short02.HMF_HIR_PROShort_Diff, just like we want.

Hopefully that was clear, and is enough to help you figure out how to implement it for male hair mods too. If not, I'm always willing to answer questions.

SirCxyrtyx has been thanked by:
SirCxyrtyx
Toolset Lead

Have thanks: 288 time

Postby ElysiumFic » 17 Mar 2016, 02:41

Thank you so much!

Huh, okay. I tried that once (quitting before the "Saving Game" moment at the beginning of the scene with the kid and the plane, and while there was a Chapter Save file, ME3 didn't seem to recognize it when I tried to load it up again. Like, the character name was there but it wouldn't give me a savegame file to load.

I could have saved SO Much time if I'd known I could quit before that movie with Hackett and Anderson talking and the text and everything.

I will mess around with this and see if I can replicate its equivalent for the male hairstyles. Thank you so much!
ElysiumFic
User

Postby ElysiumFic » 17 Mar 2016, 06:16

Oh hey, I did it!

So, the guys are both easier and tougher than the female hairs. As I understand it, neither CustomCute nor Short02 (female version) are actually used in-game. Which means replacing those is pretty much a no-brainer. But AFAIK the same isn't true of the male hairs, or at least if there are unused hairs buried somewhere, they're not the ones these mods use. So a lot of what was giving me pause was anxiety over messing something up in-game. And maybe that still might be the case but I hope not lol.

I THINK (?) I covered my tracks as far as messing up NPC hairs by renaming the .pcc file to _HAIRMOD.pcc so that the only thing that looks for that file is the player savegame. All the NPCs are still referring to the default .pcc. Or am I understanding how that works entirely wrong? (bear with me and my learning curve, I never looked at any of this before a few weeks ago.)

Anyway. The first tricky thing I encountered was the fact that a lot of the male hairstyles don't actually have meshes. Only 3-4 of the 16 of them do. So, frex, I couldn't simply do what you did and change the one to the far right, because the value for Hair Mesh is "0" and my goal was to mirror your process as closely as I could rather than fumbling around trying to figure something else out.

So, instead I chose the second hairstyle from the left, which is Short03. It's actually a very straightforward choice. The HED_Scalp_Diff HED_Scalp_Spec settings are already what we want them to be, so all we have to change is the mesh.

So in the name table, I added BIOG_HMM_HIR_PRO_R_HAIRMOD.

Then on line 28186 (28185?, I don't remember if the one I wrote down is adjusted for that difference) of the export table, I changed the name to HMM_HIR_FSK_MDL--which already exists in the name table so no need to add it. Like I said, the Hair Diff value, line 15346, is already HMM_HIR_CRU_Diff so no need to mess with that.

Then I changed the name for line 15333 to BIOG_HMM_HIR_PRO_R_HAIRMOD and changed line 15346 (formerly Hair_Short03) to Hair_FormalSpikes. Not sure if this was necessary, or if I could have just redirected the link at 28186 to Hair_FormalSpikes (since it was already in the game), but since my intent was to mimic your process as best I could to understand what I was doing and eliminate any "EF was being stupid" variables, I just went with it.

Then I saved and created a new male character with one of the male hairmods (I've only posted one so far but there are about 25 more) choosing the second hair from the left and voila! It worked.

I'm thinking I might package the BioP_Char element as a separate DLC, since it's such a big file and there's no reason for someone who downloads a whole pack of hairmods to have multiple copies. That would also give users a little more flexibility depending on their level of comfort.

Meanwhile, the part of my brain that is always speculating on how I can get myself into trouble next is wondering if there's a way to use cloning to add more hairs to the character creator. Like, maybe a whole catalog of them. Which really wouldn't work unless there's a way to actually get them to show in up in CC, but it's still interesting to hypothesize about it.

I haven't tried cloning hairs for a few weeks and maybe I'd have more success with it now. I've had plenty of success cloning clothing items (well, at least for femshep, it appears it's not possible for mshep because you can't create new mats in that .pcc?) But originally what I had hoped to do was to put a whole huge array of hairs in a single DLC and have the user change between them by editing their savegame. Since this method automates the editing of the savegame, it would make sense to combine the two. But every time I tried to clone hairs, I ended up with a file that would make my game crash so clearly that one was beyond my abilities or there's just something about cloning hairs that is nothing doing.

Anyway, thank you for putting me on the right path with this! I'm very excited to have picked up something new.
ElysiumFic
User

Previous

Return to Other People's Stuff