Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Questions about what killed the derelict Reaper

General chat about Mass Effect or otherwise.

Questions about what killed the derelict Reaper

Postby Sil » 08 Sep 2016, 18:21

I've been writing another mod idea alongside the small one I'm planning on trying to make, and it's about the derelict Reaper, or more specifically the mass accelerator that killed it and then hit Klendagon. I'll call it the Klendagon Cannon for now. When The Illusive Man speaks to you about the derelict Reaper and the weapon, he says the following:

“An Alliance science team recently determined that the ‘Great Rift’ on the planet Klendagon is actually an impact crater from a mass accelerator weapon. A very old mass accelerator. I sent a team to find either the weapon or its target, they found both. The weapon was defunct, but it helped us plot the flight path of the intended target — a 37 million year old derelict Reaper.”

The definition of defunct is that it is either no longer existing or is non-functioning, and since he said they found it, it means it does still exist but it just does not function. Which begs some questions:

- If there was a weapon that was so powerful it could hit a Reaper with a shot and almost completely disable it, why didn't the Reapers destroy the weapon? It's defunct, it doesn't work and doesn't function, but it's not destroyed as science teams discovered it and knew it was the weapon despite 37,000,000 years having passed since it last fired.
- What happened to those who used that weapon if the Reapers didn't take the weapon out? I assume they were harvested, but if the Reapers didn't go for the weapon then they could potentially have survived. Although since it was 37,000,000 years ago they would be something totally different now, having evolved into something very different than they were.
- Did the Reapers fear the weapon?

I know we'll never have answers to anything regarding the Klendagon Cannon, only what our imaginations conjure up and what we speculate happened, but I find the situation really fascinating. I love mysteries. Anyone else wondered about this?
Sil
User

Have thanks: 13 time

Re: Questions about what killed the derelict Reaper

Postby The Fob » 10 Sep 2016, 00:20

The weapon might have been shot to little pieces by the reapers though. Even if all that Cerberus found was a dust cloud with trace elements that corresponded to those in the Klendagon Rift, it might be enough to plot the location of the target because now they have two points of reference for the shot: The point of origin = the pieces of the weapon and a point in mid trajectory of the projectile = the Klendagon rift.
Plotting a course to the target, compensating for 30 million years of drift, solar and planetary shifts, gravity pull along the trajectory from objects that might have moved, appeared or disappeared in the mean time and the change in trajectory that the gracing of Klendagon must have caused would be insanely difficult but maybe not impossible with future super computers and VIs/AIs.

The better question is IMO, how lucky were these guys who shot the weapon, graced a planet (which should have caused the projectile to go wildly off course) and still hit a reaper god knows how many millions of kilometers away?

"Great shot kid, that was one in a million." ;)
The Fob
Modder

Have thanks: 212 time

Re: Questions about what killed the derelict Reaper

Postby Sil » 10 Sep 2016, 08:53

I don't know, though of course with their superpowerful computers and their VI's they'd likely have the ability to calculate such things, to me it still feels like it still exists within the setting. The Illusive Man is a very intelligent man (despite his odd choices in ME3), so you would think that if the cannon had been turned into little pieces then he would've picked a more suitable word to use than defunct, like destroyed, obliterated or eliminated. It never sounded destroyed to me, as he does say that they found it.

That is also a good question, if the species had access to real time tracking of the events of another star system, then maybe they'd be able to aim it at the correct spot, the problem being that the Mass Accelerator round at FTL would take years to reach the original intended location and would, obviously, miss. From what I've read, even the Reaper weapons go at a fraction of the speed of light and those work under the same principle as a mass accelerator. To have hit the Reaper from another star system and to get it at its real time destination, the projectile would've had to reach FTL speeds far in excess of what the ships can do during the cycle of Mass Effect we play in. Although, maybe we're just presuming that it was a cannon or a stationary platform, I guess it could've been mounted on a dreadnought of some kind and fired at the reaper in the same star system. It just always sounds more like a cannon than a starship weapon to me.
Sil
User

Have thanks: 13 time

Return to Off Topic