Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Respawn Mod - Help Needed Omega - Early Xmas v0.3 Release!

Basic questions on how to achieve certain modding goals with the toolset. Texture and mesh-related questions have their own subforum. Answers not guaranteed.

Respawn Mod - Help Needed Omega - Early Xmas v0.3 Release!

Postby Sil » 07 Dec 2016, 17:22

Hey,

I've separated this from my main mod thread as it isn't technically for it, it's an experiment while I've got writers block, but I'm enjoying the experiment.

I've been tinkering with the file BioD_ProMar_120Gatehouse.pcc to add more enemy spawns after reading this thread. I appear to have had some mild success, I changed the AIFactory2 SpawnTotal value to 12 (an absurdly high number to test it out), and I counted 10 enemies (but I was dodging bullets, so I have a feeling it did spawn all 12) which is fantastic. I actually made something that works.

Here is the issue. My intention was to have it so all 12 would spawn roughly at the same time, instead a new Assault Trooper spawns every time another one dies, until the quota of enemies has been reached. While this would work really nicely on some levels, for my experiment I wanted to get it to just spawn the lot at once. Any idea if there is a value to change to make it do that?

Edit: For those who looked at the thread, here's some news for you; I managed to find out how to get them all to spawn at once :D. You need to edit the MaxAlive value just below the SpawnTotal value in the pcc file. I tell you, 12 Assault Troopers running at you when all you've got is a crappy Avenger is scary. Now, if only I could change the enemies that spawn... or have the spawns changing depending upon previous decisions...

Edit: Here is a mission list for those interested in my progress so far.

Prologue Earth = No Change Planned
Priority: Mars = Finished
Priority: Palaven = Finished
Priority: Eden Prime = Finished
N7: Cerberus Labs = Finished
Grissom Academy: Emergency Evacuation = Finished
Priority: Sur'kesh = Finished
N7: Cerberus Attack = Finished
Attican Traverse: The Rachni = Finished
N7: Cerberus Abductions = Unable To Edit
Tuchanka: Turian Platoon = Finished
Tuchanka: Bomb = Finished
Priority: Tuchanka = Finished
Priority: Citadel II = Finished
N7: Communications Hub = Finished
Arrae: Ex-Cerberus Scientists = Finished
Mesana: Distress Signal = Finished
Omega: Aria T'Loak = Unable To Edit Due To Missing Files
Mahavid: Leviathan = Finished
Namakil: Leviathan = Finished
Despoina: Leviathan = Finished
Priority: Geth Dreadnought = Not Started
Rannoch: Geth Fighter Squadrons = Not Started
Rannoch: Admiral Koris = Not Started
Priority: Rannoch = Not Started
N7: Fuel Reactor = Not Started
Citadel Wards: Ambush = Not Started
Citadel Archives: Escape = Not Started
Citadel Docks: Retake the Normandy = Not Started
Priority: Thessia = Not Started
Priority: Horizon = Not Started
N7: Cerberus Fighter Base = Not Started
Priority: Cerberus Headquarters = Not Started
Priority: Earth = Not Started

Edit: Merry Christmas!

http://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect3/mods/487/?
Last edited by Sil on 25 Dec 2016, 14:13, edited 9 times in total.
Sil
User

Have thanks: 13 time

Re: Half-Successful Enemy Spawn

Postby Sil » 07 Dec 2016, 21:11

For my next experiment I'd love to change the enemies that are spawned.BioD_ProMar_120Gatehouse.pcc deals with the part of Mars when you first land, the firefight against the Assault Marines executing Alliance personnel, and the firefight against the Cerberus goons by the vehicles. Every Cerberus enemy in this part of the Mars mission is an Assault Marine, but I'd like to change the executioner from an Assault Marine into a Centurion.

Another thing I'd like to try is making it so conditionals affect the AIFactory2 or Sequence, so I can have different spawns depending upon certain decisions made in previous games.

Anyone know how to do either?

Edit: Just made a playthrough of Mars with all the major skirmishes edited to include more enemies. It's surprising how only adding a one or two to each encounter makes things that much harder. Partly because of needing to be more conservative with your ammo. All in all, I rather enjoyed it.
Sil
User

Re: Half-Successful Enemy Spawn

Postby Sil » 08 Dec 2016, 11:44

Until I receive some pointers on how to get different enemies to spawn, or how to get spawns to be dictated by certain conditionals, I'm going to continue to edit the missions in the game. So far I've been working on the Cerberus Labs mission, and I think I made it too difficult :D. I added extra enemies to the final fight, but I need to reduce them back to much the same level they were on before.

Edit:

Does anyone know what the Priority: Palaven/Menae files are called? I've been scrolling through them, but none jump out at me.
Sil
User

Re: Experiments on Enemy Spawning

Postby KFreon » 08 Dec 2016, 13:13

That'd be pretty cool.
I'm sad that the difficulty curve was just "add health" rather than add some more enemies too.

Unfortunately this is all magic to me, so good luck :)
KFreon
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 520 time

Postby Kinkojiro » 08 Dec 2016, 23:40

Menae files are KroGar. (Krogan act Garrus I guess it is short for).

You can only spawn what is in the BioD file. So if that has centurions in that is fine. The AIFactory will have a reference. You can also use an AI factory to spawn multiple types of enemy.

And just to preempt your next question - no copying enemy pawns between files is not possible - involves not only mesh/textures/weapons/sounds but also unrealscript for the AI etc.
Kinkojiro
Modder

Have thanks: 249 time

Postby Sil » 08 Dec 2016, 23:47

It's not as difficult as I imagined it to be, at least, editing Mars/Cerberus Labs isn't. You basically load a BioD file into Package Editor, go to Exports, and search for AIFactory2. The SpawnTotals and MaxAlive are in there. :D

My hope would be to learn how to get the spawns to be dictated by previous decisions. I'd love to get it so on the Geth levels you fight a lot more Geth if you reprogrammed the Heretics in Mass Effect 2, and to have a smaller force (with a percentage increase to weapon strength, shield strength, health) of Cerberus if you save the Collector Base and a larger but less experienced/powerful force if you destroyed it (my reasoning being they focused more on recruitment with the destruction of the base, but when its kept they focused more on new tech). Just to make the different major choices have more impact on the game. The only one I wouldn't know how to tinker with is the Rachni decision, I doubt much can be done with that through this. I can't do any of these though until I learn how to edit spawns by conditionals =).

I do agree about the difficulty curve. This will make the game more difficult, so it may require someone to go down one difficulty. But on the whole, I'm enjoying it, and I'm purposely testing it all with the Avenger as it's an awful weapon, so if I can survive with that then it isn't absurdly hard.

Thanks for the heads up about the Menae files, Kinkojiro, it's a weird naming structure. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on editing the Reapers in later levels when they get a bit of variation.

That's a deep shame about not being able to copy enemy pawn files, I'd hoped to eventually add more variety to the missions by incorporating some of the DLC enemies into AIFactory2 Spawns at stages in the game that feel most relevant, as well as mixing up the spawns in general. I expect adding everything from scratch would be a vast amount of work, considering the vast amount of files contained within the BioD files. A shame.

How about editing Spawns based on Conditionals? I assume there are ways of doing that? I could mix things up a bit with that, at least.
Sil
User

Postby Kinkojiro » 09 Dec 2016, 00:36

Basically you need to sequence a PMCheckConditional, clone the AI Factory and run a conditional for checking which AI factory to run.
Kinkojiro
Modder

Have thanks: 249 time

Postby Sil » 09 Dec 2016, 01:16

Kinkojiro wrote:Basically you need to sequence a PMCheckConditional, clone the AI Factory and run a conditional for checking which AI factory to run.

That sounds doable, though I think I'll wait until I reach the Geth missions before I attempt those edits. Currently I'm working on the first Brute fight, I attempted to add spawning husks to the brute spawn area without luck, so instead I'm going to try and do the reverse, add a brute to the husk spawning AIFactory2. If I can get these altered spawns to work, at least I can mix the game up a little more, even if it isn't to the extent I'd hoped for.

Edit: Didn't work. Not entirely sure why not.
Sil
User

Postby Sil » 09 Dec 2016, 10:32

Okay, here is what I tried to do. I tried to edit BioD_KroGar_520Brute.pcc so that a Brute would spawn along with the Husks that spawn. I could've just edited the Brute spawning file to have a delayed spawn for it, I think, but I wanted to experiment with adding new combinations of spawns. Both Brutes and Husks are contained within the file already, so that's great news.

-- First of all I went to 4771:TheWorld.PersistentLevel.Main_Sequence.Brute_Fight.SFXSeqAct_AIFactory2 in the Exports tree in Package Editor
-- I then went into the Interpreter/Hex Editor, clicked on 0004: Name: "SpawnSets" Type: "ArrayProperty(AISpawnInfo)" etc, then clicked on Add Array Element.
-- This opened up an extra array element under SpawnSets labelled as 1. The original only had 0, and the file 0 contained all the information for the husk spawn, and the 1 arrray element contained the same information.
-- I then looked at the two AIFactory2 tables for the Brute, and I copied all the information within their SpawnSet file into the new brute spawn.
-- When testing this there is no change at all to the fight.

Any idea if I missed a step?

Edit: While waiting for an answer this the above, I attempted to sequence in a Conditional check but I ran into a roadblock straight away. All the tips and tutorials I've looked at seem to rely on cloning an part of the sequence that is already in the file that works the same, before then editing it to do what you want. But, the Gatehouse file (I went back to Mars for testing purposes) doesn't contain a single conditional check within it. I also attempted to add Object in Sequence Editor but that requires the file to already be there rather than to add a brand new one. Anyone know how to add a brand new export into the Package Editor? I can clone them, but I can't turn those clones into Conditional Checks.

Edit 2: While doing a playtest I discovered that the Brute did spawn, it spawned at the bottom of the cliff :D
Sil
User

Postby Sil » 10 Dec 2016, 00:13

Just an update for anyone who is interested; today I managed to finish editing the enemy spawns for the missions on Menae, Eden Prime and Grissom Academy. During the latter two levels, I started experimenting with loading different combinations than are normally present in some of the firefights. Don't expect anything fancy, they are still using the enemies that were already contained within the BioD file itself, but there are a few different, frustrating combinations to fight. Ever wanted to fight Engineers with Guardian pals? Me neither, but now you can be frustrated as you shoot them! :D. I've played through each level, and they are different now, not vastly, but they're certainly more difficult and I've enjoyed them a lot.

At the rate I've been doing this at, I could finish edits on every level by friday next week, as I'm really getting in the groove for it, but I'm keen on experimenting with conditionals starting with the Rachni mission, as I've had an idea for how to represent the ME1 Rachni decision, and it's been well-received by my Mass Effect playing mates online. I know Kinkojiro gave a layout of how you would do it, but could someone help me with a very brief step-by-step guide to adding a conditional check to a sequence? I'd be very grateful.

Oh, and so people realise, I will be releasing this as a mod the moment I'm happy with it. :)

Sil has been thanked by:
Sil
User

Next

Return to How do I...?