Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Sir and Gift | New GUI MockUp

Development board for ME3Explorer tools. Please try to keep discussions for each tool inside its own thread.

Which new GUI do you like the best? (see link in the OP to take you to a 3-way comparison)

Poll ended at 18 Apr 2016, 17:15

Version 1 -- the original, more basic
No votes
Version 2 -- the newest version with MDI, a little fancy
17%
Version 3 -- no MDI, much fancier, tools will all be separate programs in windows
83%
Version 4 -- like v3, but a test run of the sidebar in a horizontal orientation
No votes

Total votes : 6

Re: [POLL] New GUI MockUp

Postby CreeperLava » 13 May 2016, 17:10

Very nice work, gift. It looks great ! I don't have much to say here, since I'm not a content modder and probably won't use the task pane much.
We may also create a weblink via the tool name that leads to the relevant article on the wiki.

I do second this though, definitely add a link to the wiki article in the description of each tool. I wonder if it would technically be possible to automatically download and update the description from the wiki. eg you would take the 1-2 first paragraph(s) from the wiki article as a tool description. That means we would need a proper formatting of the wiki articles for that purpose, but it also means it would be way easier to update the descriptions as the tools evolve.
CreeperLava
User

Have thanks: 83 time

Postby giftfish » 13 May 2016, 17:29

CreeperLava wrote:
We may also create a weblink via the tool name that leads to the relevant article on the wiki.

I do second this though, definitely add a link to the wiki article in the description of each tool. I wonder if it would technically be possible to automatically download and update the description from the wiki. eg you would take the 1-2 first paragraph(s) from the wiki article as a tool description. That means we would need a proper formatting of the wiki articles for that purpose, but it also means it would be way easier to update the descriptions as the tools evolve.

Thanks, Creeper :]

The syncing is a nice idea -- I'm all about reducing workload -- but I don't see it being practical. Partly due to the obvious logistical challenges from a coding standpoint.

In addition, while I did pull the text from the wiki, I did tweak it a bit. The two areas have different purposes, and they shouldn't necessarily say the same thing. I also wouldn't want to constrain the changes to the wiki, by having to consider what's needed in the toolset's infopanel. Finally, if a wiki article is under construction, we certainly wouldn't want those changes pulled into the toolset.

It really isn't much work to just pull the information from the wiki and then give it a little tweak. From there if the user wants to know more, they just use the link to go there themselves. We'll probably need a scrollover tooltip that says something like "Open this tool on the wiki", or some such.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Postby SirCxyrtyx » 13 May 2016, 17:51

Something that occurred to me after thinking about this for a bit, is there a reason to allow multiple instances of a tool like AutoTOC? For something like that, it seems that if AutoTOC is already open and someone tries to open it again, they should just be taken to the already-open instance.
SirCxyrtyx
Toolset Lead

Have thanks: 288 time

Postby giftfish » 13 May 2016, 18:01

SirCxyrtyx wrote:Something that occurred to me after thinking about this for a bit, is there a reason to allow multiple instances of a tool like AutoTOC? For something like that, it seems that if AutoTOC is already open and someone tries to open it again, they should just be taken to the already-open instance.

I agree. For AutoTOC, multiple instances are not necessary. It seems like what we need to do is allow multiples of some, but not others.

This possible?
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby SirCxyrtyx » 13 May 2016, 18:42

Perfectly possible. One thing I'm not sure about is how to do the images of currently open tools in the taskpane. Windows does this with the application switcher and task bar, so it must be possible. I'll have to look into it. Nevermind, google search turned up an answer in ~2 minutes.

SirCxyrtyx has been thanked by:
SirCxyrtyx
Toolset Lead

Have thanks: 288 time

Postby giftfish » 25 Jun 2016, 20:15

Things are progressing well with the GUI overhaul (yay), and we're at the point where we need to start assigning tags to tools to get the Search feature functional.

I've set up a Google spreadsheet, and it would be great if folks could add tag suggestions for tools :]

FYI, tools in red text are slotted for removal when the new GUI is rolled out. That isn't to say more tools won't get removed/combined after that, but for these particular tools, it's not necessary to come up with tags. If anyone has a *very* good reason to keep any of these, we'll consider it, just pop your reason in this thread. "Someone might use it" and "It's easier to keep it" are not good enough reasons :P

Thanks in advance for those of you who take the time to add tags. We appreciate it :)
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby CreeperLava » 25 Jun 2016, 23:00

I added suggestions for Texplorer. Where can we see the progress made on the overhaul ?
CreeperLava
User

Postby giftfish » 27 Jun 2016, 03:57

CreeperLava wrote:I added suggestions for Texplorer. Where can we see the progress made on the overhaul ?

Not ready for public eyes yet, but so far it looks essentially identical to the final series of mock ups.

Sir is finding WPF extremely flexible :)
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby CreeperLava » 27 Jun 2016, 06:53

That is good news ! Is there any reason why you're not discussing the develoment on the forums ?
CreeperLava
User

Postby giftfish » 27 Jun 2016, 18:57

CreeperLava wrote:That is good news ! Is there any reason why you're not discussing the develoment on the forums ?

We already did :)

We went through several iterations of the GUI over the course of two months in this thread. Every feature and function has already been mapped out in detail as a result of community discussion. Now, it's time for Sir to build.

We know you and plenty of other folks are eager to see the new GUI. However, neither of Sir nor I are comfortable releasing a tool that is inherently broken, which is the state it's in right now, due to the complexity of the design and the fact that it's unfinished. Once it's finished and we're ready for testing and feedback, it will be put up for download on Git, via the feature-GUI branch.

And not too long after that, I suspect we'll be ready for a new stable :)
giftfish
Toolset Developer

PreviousNext

Return to ME3Explorer Toolset Development