Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Sir | New ME2 & ME3 TLK Converter

Development board for ME3Explorer tools. Please try to keep discussions for each tool inside its own thread.

Sir | New ME2 & ME3 TLK Converter

Postby giftfish » 07 Mar 2016, 17:07

@SirCxyrtyx --

This question is for you and ties into us trying to get in touch with TankMaster.

I'm pretty confident that the main things TankMaster did for his TLK Editor (which is really just a converter, since you don't edit inside the tool), is fix some bugs with the conversion of certain characters, change it to no longer use "positions", and make it create multiple XMLs when extracting a TLK over a certain length. It has the same GUI as the existing toolset editor, so I'm almost certain he used it as a starting point.

Assuming we can't get in touch with him for permission, any idea how much effort would be involved in basically replicating his work -- except for the TLK spitting aspect? (Sidebar -- The latter is unnecessary, and is actually undesirable when it comes to TLK-digging for source lines, lore, etc, as then you have to repeat the same searches through multiple TLKs).
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Re: ME3 TLK Converter

Postby FemShep » 20 Mar 2016, 17:35

Tankmasters code is posted on Github now. It doesn't have a specified license, but since it's on github it's considered open source.

https://github.com/MatthewGenerous/MassEffect-ModTools

Gibbed, who seems to have wrote the ME2/ME3 TLK editor that ME3Explorer uses, has this license attached to his SVN for his code. Tankmaster based most of his tools off of gibbed code, so the license by Gibbed may enforce the license on tankmasters code.

Copyright (c) 2012 Rick (rick 'at' gibbed 'dot' us)

This software is provided 'as-is', without any express or implied
warranty. In no event will the authors be held liable for any damages
arising from the use of this software.

Permission is granted to anyone to use this software for any purpose,
including commercial applications, and to alter it and redistribute it
freely, subject to the following restrictions:

1. The origin of this software must not be misrepresented; you must not
claim that you wrote the original software. If you use this software
in a product, an acknowledgment in the product documentation would
be appreciated but is not required.

2. Altered source versions must be plainly marked as such, and must not
be misrepresented as being the original software.

3. This notice may not be removed or altered from any source
distribution.

Interestingly, this does not specify the exact license, but googling the license text indicates that is the zlib license. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zlib_License
I searched the repo and found Gibbed attached this license to the top of his files, so this isn't the license required by him using zlib, but also his own code.

I have noticed that tankmaster's TLK tool chokes on a few parts of TLK files, but less than the main one ME3Explorer has.

Arguably, we need to include Rick's License.txt file in the ME3Explorer github repo to be in compliance with his license.
ME3Tweaks has modding guides, tools, forums for mods, a modding wiki, and ModMaker, an online mod creation tool.
ME3 Mod Manager, the civilized way of installing and managing ME3 mods.
ME3Tweaks Facebook Page
FemShep
Modder

Have thanks: 76 time

Postby SirCxyrtyx » 21 Mar 2016, 18:54

Gibbed's license is included in the repository, at the top of every source file of his. It's also in there a couple times as a .txt:
https://github.com/ME3Explorer/ME3Explo ... icense.txt
https://github.com/ME3Explorer/ME3Explo ... icense.txt
SirCxyrtyx
Toolset Lead

Have thanks: 288 time

Postby FemShep » 21 Mar 2016, 20:44

I see. Does the toolset itself have a license? GPL/MIT/BSD/Apache/Beer?
ME3Tweaks has modding guides, tools, forums for mods, a modding wiki, and ModMaker, an online mod creation tool.
ME3 Mod Manager, the civilized way of installing and managing ME3 mods.
ME3Tweaks Facebook Page
FemShep
Modder

Have thanks: 76 time

Postby SirCxyrtyx » 21 Mar 2016, 21:16

I don't think it does. It probably should.
SirCxyrtyx
Toolset Lead

Have thanks: 288 time

Postby giftfish » 22 Mar 2016, 16:52

SirCxyrtyx wrote:I don't think it does. It probably should.

If TankMaster's code is on Git and is open source, then we should incorporate everything into the toolset that we can. Obviously we can't do all of it before the stable, but *if* it's possible to use his code for the Coalesced and TLK Tools, then those would be ideal. Both existing versions of these tools in the toolset have bugs. TankMaster's new versions fix the bugs and are just better tools outright. They also both function similarly in the sense that are simply converters; editing is done with XMLs in a different program. If we do insert them, then the tool names should be changed to reflect this: "TLK Converter" and "Coalesced Converter", probably.

The Natives Editor is another story. It really, really needs to be in the toolset, but it needs to be finished and some existing bugs fixed. It's absolutely a post-stable project.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Re: [New] ME3 TLK Converter

Postby giftfish » 03 Sep 2016, 17:40

FYI, just made this outstanding Git issue about ampersand handling into the official thread for the TLK Editor port:

https://github.com/ME3Explorer/ME3Explorer/issues/390
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Return to ME3Explorer Toolset Development