Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

skipping videos in intro

Basic questions on how to achieve certain modding goals with the toolset. Texture and mesh-related questions have their own subforum. Answers not guaranteed.

skipping videos in intro

Postby ElysiumFic » 10 Jun 2016, 17:48

Okay, so I'm reworking my DLC hair mods to reduce or eliminate the transparency and color darkening that so many of the original modders didn't bother to correct.

First problem is: there are almost 200 of these things. And I have to test each. and. every. one.

Second problem is: the best place to test the hair transparency issue is right at the beginning of the game when Shepard is standing at the window.

Which means I have to watch that damn scene with that damn kid playing with that damn ship 200 damn times. Actually I'm probably creeping up on 1000 at this point, considering I already had to go through this testing the last release of the hair mods (including the trial and error before I got into production mode) AND when I was screencapping all the hair mods for uploading purposes (which I stupidly didn't do while I was testing them) AND when I was testing my intro outfit replacement DLCs (including trial and error yadda yadda yadda) and and and...

The scene with Anderson and Hackett yakking? Sure, no problem. As long as the toon I'm using to test the mods was imported from a completed playthrough I can ESC past that. But I still have to read the text that follows, no matter what. And if I try to hit ESC after the text (to skip the damn kid with the damn ship) it also takes me right past the part where Shepard is standing at the window.

Ugh.

Please tell me there is a way I can skip the text and kid videos and go straight to the window. Please? I'm begging you for the love of God and all that is holy HELP ME SKIP THESE SCENES *rips hair out* I can't watch them any more. I really can't. Too much more of this and I'm going to be streaking around the neighborhood rubbing mustard all over my body or something crazy like that.

(alternatively I will take suggestions on other easy-to-get-to scenes where hair transparency issues are apparent)
ElysiumFic
User

Have thanks: 4 time

Re: skipping videos in intro

Postby giftfish » 10 Jun 2016, 18:47

My guess is that sequence editing is going to be the answer for skipping. I'm still learning a lot about that myself, so I'll let others chime in.

As far as other options in game, it sounds like you just need a decent light source to backlight Shepard. I can think of a few areas:

1. Shepard's hair does weird things in Javik's room due to the fog, and I think transparency is involved. So, if you have From Ashes, you might try there.
2. The docking bay on the Citadel, placing Shepard facing away from the window and right in front of where the lens flare forms across the Nebula in the background. Think of when you meet Miranda for the first time.
3. Huerta has lots of windows with light. Try there.

giftfish has been thanked by:
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Postby The Fob » 10 Jun 2016, 18:50

Well, it can certainly be done but it would require quite a bit of work. I just had a quick look at it and it looks like the entire scene (the kid and Shep at that window) is one single Interp (object 1910 in BioD_110Intro.pcc). You can open its InterpData object (object #198) in Interp Viewer and see all the keys in the different groups (including the kid (Guardian), the fighter, Shepard and James, plus a whole lot of other stuff in that cutscene. I guess in order to cut straight to Shep, you'd need to change all the keyframes, so that this cut happens right at time 0.

You could try and just change the keys in the "Director" track of the "DirGroup" to simply cut straight away to the camera that shows Shep at the window but I am not sure if that will work for you, as Shepard's animations will still not start earlier unless you change him as well (not sure if Shep will even already be in position, chances are things will be very buggy).

Maybe there is some new and fancy method I don't know about but AFAIK, there is no other way of cutting things away from the beginning of a cutscene (from the end, it's easier of course).

The Fob has been thanked by:
The Fob
Modder

Have thanks: 212 time

Postby ElysiumFic » 10 Jun 2016, 18:51

@ Giftfish Thank you. I will check those out!

@Fob Drat. Okay, guess I will just have to make do. I was hoping that, since you don't see Shep until it cuts to inside the room, that the text and kid were videos rather than part of the actual cutscene. *sigh*
ElysiumFic
User

Postby SirCxyrtyx » 10 Jun 2016, 19:12

I've successfully managed to remove the intro text, and made the Hackett Cutscene skippable regardless of new game plus status. Making the kid part skippable will be trickier since that whole bit is one animcutscene, but I've semi-succesfully split one of those before so it may be doable. And it's a little weird that should be fine as this is just for testing purposes.
SirCxyrtyx
Toolset Lead

Have thanks: 288 time

Postby SirCxyrtyx » 10 Jun 2016, 19:23

And done. https://www.dropbox.com/s/fpz659atiin2w ... p.zip?dl=0
what this does:
  • Makes the first cutscene with Hackett skippable for everyone
  • Removes the expository text.
  • Skips straight to Shepard leaning on the window.

Turns out that despite being labeled an AnimCutscene, it didn't have all the SFXSceneShop stuff, so it just behaved like a regular Interp, which makes skipping part of it very easy. All one needs to do is, using the Interpreter's new "Add Property" button, add "bForceStartPos" and set it to true, and "ForceStartPosition" and set it to the number of seconds you want to skip.

For things with SFXSceneShop stuff in them, it's possible to skip parts by manipulating the links between the SFXSceneShop nodes. Don't remember the specifics, but I could figure it out again if anyone wanted to do it.

SirCxyrtyx has been thanked by:
SirCxyrtyx
Toolset Lead

Postby ElysiumFic » 10 Jun 2016, 19:45

Good God. Sir, you are just...*stammer* *flail*...there are no superlatives sufficient for your greatness. Every time I come up with a question for something that for someone with my very limited skillset seems insurmountable, you're just "eh, no big, here, have a file!"

I thank you. My hair roots thank you. My neighbors, being spared the ordeal of witnessing me streaking around covered in mustard, thank you.

Thank you.
Last edited by ElysiumFic on 10 Jun 2016, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.
ElysiumFic
User

Postby The Fob » 10 Jun 2016, 19:46

That's great to know. Might come in handy for other stuff as well. I knew about the SceneShop stuff but that ForceStartPosition trick is a nice new tool. Thanks SirCxyrtyx!
The Fob
Modder

Have thanks: 212 time

Postby giftfish » 10 Jun 2016, 22:31

SirCxyrtyx wrote:Turns out that despite being labeled an AnimCutscene, it didn't have all the SFXSceneShop stuff, so it just behaved like a regular Interp, which makes skipping part of it very easy. All one needs to do is, using the Interpreter's new "Add Property" button, add "bForceStartPos" and set it to true, and "ForceStartPosition" and set it to the number of seconds you want to skip.

Not all animcutscenes have scene shop stuff, to my knowledge. The romance scene for Thane, for example, does not. The first interp is 49s, and it's definitely an animcutscene.

So... are you saying that this tactic would work for that situation?
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Postby SirCxyrtyx » 10 Jun 2016, 23:08

Good God. Sir, you are just...*stammer* *flail*...there are no superlatives sufficient for your greatness. Every time I come up with a question for something that for someone with my very limited skillset seems insurmountable, you're just "eh, no big, here, have a file!"

Thanks. It's fun, like a bite size modding challenge.

Not all animcutscenes have scene shop stuff, to my knowledge. The romance scene for Thane, for example, does not. The first interp is 49s, and it's definitely an animcutscene.

So... are you saying that this tactic would work for that situation?

It should. Just be aware that skipping ahead in an Interp can sometimes break a few things. But the only way to find out if it will is to test it out.
SirCxyrtyx
Toolset Lead

Next

Return to How do I...?