Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Stable 3.0 texture installation critical speed increase

User-centric area for specific questions & problems related to using ME3Explorer tools. This is not a modding "how to" area. Read the sticky before posting!

Stable 3.0 texture installation critical speed increase

Postby Alvaro » 06 Oct 2016, 18:59

Hi:

It has been reported at Nexus -thank you very much, Tarshana!- a much more than noticeable speed increase when installing textures with TPF/DDS Tools using stable 3.0.

To double check, I have just ran two separate test onto vanilla ME3 games installing a few textures using both Stable 2.0 and Stable 3.0.

I used the very same five (5) "face" Diff textures in both test runs. I choosed those as test subjects because those are in use in many PCCs.

Both installations went fine.

Both resulting debug logs are the very same and there is nothing unusual in them.

In both cases CustTextures.tfc and involved PCC´s were also updated.

Here you got my results.

--> Stable 2.0

Texture installation: 5 min 55 sec
TOC updating: 15 sec

--> Stable 3.0

Texture installation: 1 min 30 sec
TOC Updating: 1 sec

Well... Impressive!

I wonder what has been changed or improved for such out of the charts performance?

What to say? A BIG thank you, Toolset devs. Tons of users out there -me first!- will be pleased to experience this by themselves!

Regards!
Alvaro

Alvaro has been thanked by:
Alvaro
User

Have thanks: 12 time

Re: Stable 3.0 texture installation critical speed increase

Postby CreeperLava » 06 Oct 2016, 19:44

I couldn't believe it when Tarshana reported installing ALOT in 45 mins. Really impressive, I wonder what changed to allow such speed increase ?
CreeperLava
User

Have thanks: 83 time

Postby giftfish » 06 Oct 2016, 19:48

Sir has done a significant amount of optimization. DLC unpacking is now also crazy fast.

As for the technical details... no idea, lol.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Postby Alvaro » 06 Oct 2016, 21:18

giftfish wrote:Sir has done a significant amount of optimization. DLC unpacking is now also crazy fast.

That´s fantastic!! Good to know too, thanks!

As trees are compatible I used Stable 2.0 ones for that testing. But seems to me time to do a first time setup has arrived... just for the sake of enjoying it! :D

To optimize time required a 20% would have been much more than excellent! A 50% jawdropping! But this... this is hard to believe! :shock:

Once more, awesome work guys! Sir, you deserve a statue at the Citadel! :)
Alvaro
User

Postby SirCxyrtyx » 06 Oct 2016, 21:43

That's... slightly concerning actually? I don't remember making any optimizations to texture installation, and in programming it's not good if something changes and you don't know why, even if it seems like a positive change.

I know why TOCing is faster, since I did spend time on optimizing that.

I hope this is just the result of something I forgot I did.

Edit: Don't mean to be a wet blanket or anything, I'm excited if this all works out. I just hope it hasn't caused problems that have yet to reveal themselves.
SirCxyrtyx
Toolset Lead

Have thanks: 288 time

Postby giftfish » 06 Oct 2016, 22:10

@Sir --

Hmm. Could it have to do with the lack of Texmod and K's new system for that? I thought that was only used in creating TPFs, but... maybe not?
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Postby Alvaro » 06 Oct 2016, 22:34

Hi:

I could share your caution... as CreeperLava said before, when Tarshana reported a 10+ hours installing mod was ready in just 45 mins we couldn´t believe it. But, well... it works! :)

I have just installed 300 1K, 2K and 4K textures in 13 min right now. I haven´t checked them all in game but I have found no vissual glitches at all by now.

Here you got debug log in case you may want to take a look. Modding run was done installing six batches of 50 textures each aprox.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Am3uumlaw1G5gVKh1vD-D_eY68wF

Main difference I see here, from basic end user experience, is that I have continuous disk activity while that is not the case when using stable 2.0.

FWIW, I´m running W10 Pro AU, just in case this migth have any relevance here regarding the core framework or the like.

No idea... but I´m loving it!

HTH!
Alvaro
Alvaro
User

Postby KFreon » 06 Oct 2016, 23:26

It could well be due to TOC'ing since I recall that could take forever sometimes for whatever reason.
Shouldn't have been a 4x speed increase though...
And I didn't change anything except TPF stuff, which won't affect installation.

Nothing unusual in that log either.
KFreon
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 520 time

Postby Tarshana » 08 Oct 2016, 05:56

I have a beastly primary machine. I had turned off every other program and installed the A LOT textures + Ottemis' and a few others. It took 45 minutes. At first I was like.. nooooo no way. I must have messed up! but nope, they were all there :) I even went vanilla and did it again lol. My laptop took about double and my other computer I use for mod testing took a wee bit more than that. I turned on Netflix and a couple chrome browsers out of curiosity. I have no idea what is different but it all loaded quickly. I am not going to say everyone's set up will do 45 minutes. I have a triple digit SSD with a HDD for backup, but my laptop is two years old, still way faster than before. Prior to V3 it took me 4 hours. So whatever you guys did it is awesome
Tarshana
User

Have thanks: 4 time

Postby Tarshana » 08 Oct 2016, 05:59

SirCxyrtyx wrote:That's... slightly concerning actually? I don't remember making any optimizations to texture installation, and in programming it's not good if something changes and you don't know why, even if it seems like a positive change.

I know why TOCing is faster, since I did spend time on optimizing that.

I hope this is just the result of something I forgot I did.

Edit: Don't mean to be a wet blanket or anything, I'm excited if this all works out. I just hope it hasn't caused problems that have yet to reveal themselves.

If there is any way for me to hard-test this for you or send logs let me know :)
Tarshana
User

Have thanks: 4 time

Next

Return to Toolset Help