Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

START HERE | ME3Explorer Info, Policies, and Etiquette

General news and announcements for ME3Explorer.

START HERE | ME3Explorer Info, Policies, and Etiquette

Postby giftfish » 08 Jan 2016, 20:56

Welcome to the ME3Explorer Toolset community!

The toolset and these forums have their origins in the Mass Effect 3 ending debacle, beginning with a forum post from WarrantyVoider to Gildor. From that post the ME3Explorer toolset evolved into the 50+ tools it contains today. This thread serves as a reference for some basic information about these forums and our community.

1. Toolset Sites.
The obvious download links and such:

2. Community Focus
Since 2012 the ME3Explorer community has grown substantially, but we continue to focus on modding the Mass Effect trilogy. When posting, please keep this scope in mind. Some specifics:

• We are not a coalesced modding community. The toolset's coalesced tool is geared at mod creators, not standard users. We encourage most folks interested in this type of modding to use Wenchy and pursue the many online resources that already exist for coalesced modding.
  • We are not a multi-player modding community. Most toolset modders on this forum are focused on single-player content. Toolset development and forum discussions take place with that in mind.
  • We are not a texture and mesh modding community. While the toolset can be used to install these types of mods, the development of these mods uses third party tools that have no relation to the toolset.
  • We do not host mods and are not a support forum for other people's mods. Most mod authors here host on Nexusmods or ModDB. Questions about mods, including problems with installation, should be directed to mod authors via support threads located on those sites.

3. Recent Forum Overhaul and Off Topic Posting.
Between January and August 2016, the forum community was overhauled. The revamp affected everything from forum themes and board structure to groups, permissions, and allowed content. If you've been away a while and are just returning, be sure to take a look around.

Due to the lack of maintenance for the forums since their inception, the overhaul was an extremely large, time-consuming project. Many threads were relocated, split into new threads, and merged with other threads. When doing this, it became clear that a half dozen members or so were spamming the forums excessively and cross posting in multiple sections in an attempt to force the community to answer their questions. This will no longer be tolerated.

To maintain organization, prevent thread necros, prevent tutorials from morphing into help threads, and a wide variety of other issues, the following measures have been put in place:

• New Boards. There are a variety of new boards to post on that will help users get their post in the correct location and more apt to be answered. More about this in a moment.
  • Forum Groups. Certain boards now require placement within a specific group to post new threads.
  • Member Purges. No part of the forum is hidden behind a registration wall. This means that if you aren't going to post, registering is pointless. Folks who register and don't post within a year will be purged from the forum.
  • Thread Locking. Posts in help areas will be locked after 6 months of inactivity.
  • Archived Boards. Archives contain a mixture of boards/topics no longer supported on the forum or that are deprecated.
During the overhaul a significant amount of leeway was given to the community in relation to off topic posting. Now that it's complete, users are expected to read this announcement and post in the appropriate location. If you post in the wrong place:

• Posts will be split into their own threads and archived as per below.
  • Threads will be locked and archived with a brief, one sentence explanation. A shadow topic will be left in place for a short, unspecified duration of time. Authors may then re-post the same question in the correct location.
  • If authors try to skirt the system by cross-posting, all threads in the wrong location will be immediately deleted and a warning provided in the thread that's in the correct location. If there is no thread in the correct location, one thread in the wrong location will be archived and locked as in #1 above.
If a forum area you previously used has been moved to Toolset Archives as part of the early 2016 restructure, then we either no longer support discussions of those topics OR those topics have been relocated to new areas.

4. Forum Groups.
Upon registering, all ME3Explorer community members are assigned to one or more of the following groups:

• Registered Users -- Most members fit into this category.
  • Coders -- Toolset staff who are actively contributing code to the toolset.
  • Modders -- Community members who do advanced content modding with the toolset to create mods for distribution.
  • Administrators -- Core toolset administrators. We are the Harbingers of your perfection :)
  • Emeritus -- Former toolset and forum admins who have moved on to bigger and better things.
Folks interested in becoming coders should PM SirCxyrtyx or Kfreon. Otherwise, all group assignments are at the discretion of toolset admins and will be changed when deemed appropriate. The usernames of members who belong to more than one group will display that member's primary role in the community.

5. Forum Structure.
Organization of the forum has changed significantly since the restructure that took place during the first half of 2016. Please read this section carefully to become familiar with the new structure and usage of the boards. Every forum has had its description updated and a new sticky post added. This post explains the proper content for the board, when posts will become locked, etc. Before posting in a forum, please read the sticky.

There are now 3 forum boards. Each is geared toward the member's role in the community, as dictated by their forum group. However, anyone may post in any thread on any board. Each board simply helps organize information flow and makes things easier to find for its core userbase.

• ME3Explorer Toolset General Board.
    This is the main board for the toolset. Anyone may start threads in most forums on this board. It houses areas for announcements, notifications of new releases, help, wiki development, and the illustrious Mess Hall. A couple details:

• Toolset Help: The main area for help requests regarding usage and problems with toolset tools.
    • The Mess Hall: This board is a hodgepodge of topics that are outside of the toolset proper. There are mod ideas and request areas, off topic chat, introductions, and an area for general references. Also included are a few areas that are completely out of the toolset's scope and should be used with care. This includes How Do I..., Other People's Stuff, and the Textures and Meshes area. You may post in these areas, but you may not get answered. Please do not spam these boards.
  • Toolset Coders. Coder-centric board. Posting is open to anyone, but only active toolset Coders may start new threads in most areas. Includes the official ME3Explorer Development Area and more.
  • Toolset Modders. Modder-centric board. This board is geared toward more advanced modders who use the toolset to create and distribute single-player content mods. Posting is open to anyone, but only Modders may start new threads in most areas.
As part of the restructure, every forum has had its description updated and a new sticky post added. This post explains the proper content for the board, when posts will become locked, and more. Before posting in a forum, please read the sticky.

6. Signatures and Avatars.
Signatures and avatars remain allowed, but please use good judgement. Obnoxious GIFs will be removed at our discretion.

7. Multiple Accounts.
Multiple accounts are not allowed. If you run into a problem with your password, contact an admin. If you create a new account prior to reading this post, let us know and we'll delete the one of your choice (but retain your posting history).

8. Getting Help.
If you're a toolset user looking for help, always read this sticky prior to posting.

9.Bug Reporting and Feature Requests.
All bug reporting is now done through Github. We realize this is less convenient and requires another registration, but it helps things stay organized and keeps our coders sane. Any bug threads started on this forum will be immediately locked, and posts deleted or relocated. We'll do this without response. Repeat offenders may be banned.

10. Don't be a jerk.
We keep the rules for etiquette simple around here. Don't be a jerk. If you're a jerk, depending on the severity, you might get a warning, you might not. You might just get a ban. We don't want to ban you.

11.Forum Themes.
The forum has three themes currently available. Themes can be altered via your User Control Panel (UCP).

• Tranquil Teal -- Dark theme, full-width, somewhat modern.
  • Exhibit -- Medium/Light theme, full-width, somewhat modern. Current default on "Welcome" screen.
  • DesignBB -- Medium/Light theme, narrow, more classic phpbb.
-----------------------------------------

Edited 04 Nov 2016
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Re: Welcome | ME3Explorer General Info, Policies, and Etique

Postby giftfish » 20 Jan 2016, 17:56

OP updated with some basic info about the restructure and small expansion of #4.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Re: Welcome | ME3Explorer General Info, Policies, and Etique

Postby giftfish » 03 Feb 2016, 15:28

--Added Nexusmods link.
--Removed reference to forum theme no longer used.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Re: START HERE | ME3Explorer Info, Policies, and Etiquette

Postby giftfish » 29 Aug 2016, 18:05

Final update in relation to recent forum restructure.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Re: START HERE | ME3Explorer Info, Policies, and Etiquette

Postby giftfish » 24 Sep 2016, 22:43

Updated information on member purge policy.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Return to Announcements