Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

State of ME1's Toolset?

General chat about Mass Effect or otherwise.

State of ME1's Toolset?

Postby KingFeraligatr » 21 Apr 2016, 01:59

I'm just wondering the state and progress on ME1's toolset. While ME1 is now the only game I care about (which is why I'm asking about it), I'm not going to pretend it's a perfect game by any stretch of the definition. As such getting mods that aren't just texture ones (which my laptop can't even handle anyways!) for the game would be great. If anyone can answer this question, it'd be appreciated.
I call myself the Typo Master. So if you see a typo in my posts, I'm sorry.
Link to the forums of my Mass Effect Rewrite: http://kfmerewriteforums.proboards.com/
KingFeraligatr
User

Have thanks: 14 time

Re: State of ME1's Toolset?

Postby SirCxyrtyx » 21 Apr 2016, 03:18

It's got a sequence editor and a dialogue editor now, as well as a mostly functional package editor, so some interesting things could be done if people wanted to try their hands at it.

The only non-texture mods for ME1 that I can think of are

SirCxyrtyx has been thanked by:
SirCxyrtyx
Toolset Lead

Have thanks: 288 time

Postby giftfish » 21 Apr 2016, 04:49

To follow up with what Sir said, Conditional and Plot Editors will be necessary for even the most minimal story editing -- the former especially. Without them we can't add or modify existing plot checks.

Also, being able to properly clone objects into files is also pretty necessary for content modding, which means we also need an ME1Creator. PCCEd2 can clone, but it does so suboptimally. ME3Creator was built for cloning/importing both imports and exports.

giftfish has been thanked by:
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Postby Deager » 21 Apr 2016, 13:43

SirCxyrtyx wrote:It's got a sequence editor and a dialogue editor now, as well as a mostly functional package editor, so some interesting things could be done if people wanted to try their hands at it.

Hmmm, it might be time for Shep to not have to chat with a certain rear admiral.
Deager
Modder

Have thanks: 164 time

Postby SirCxyrtyx » 22 Apr 2016, 07:30

giftfish wrote:Also, being able to properly clone objects into files is also pretty necessary for content modding, which means we also need an ME1Creator.

I could just build proper cloning and importing into the package editor. Never really liked ME3Creator's separateness tbh. All that replicated functionality...

And of course, until that happens, one can always do a hex replace on useless objects like SeqAct_Logs. Had to do that a couple of times to make Faster Elevators.
SirCxyrtyx
Toolset Lead

Postby FemShep » 22 Apr 2016, 14:33

@sir you know how kinko found out how to fix seekfreeshadercache? I feel like having a "fix seekfreeshadercache" button would go a lonnnnnggg ways for users, since it could easily be automated. Just include a binary blob to set data as, look up names, voila.
ME3Tweaks has modding guides, tools, forums for mods, a modding wiki, and ModMaker, an online mod creation tool.
ME3 Mod Manager, the civilized way of installing and managing ME3 mods.
ME3Tweaks Facebook Page
FemShep
Modder

Have thanks: 76 time

Postby giftfish » 22 Apr 2016, 14:38

SirCxyrtyx wrote:
giftfish wrote:Also, being able to properly clone objects into files is also pretty necessary for content modding, which means we also need an ME1Creator.

I could just build proper cloning and importing into the package editor. Never really liked ME3Creator's separateness tbh. All that replicated functionality...

Yeah, that's totally true.

I think what WV intended was that ME3Creator was really, "PCCEd3". It was intended to totally replace PCCEd2, as it's a much stronger tool with a wider feature set. The problem is that it lacks certain features that PCCEd2 has, and then there is also the issue of how it totally re-structures files. This is good in a sense, as it shrinks them, but I'm pretty sure it makes it incompatible with DLC files.

I was hoping we'd be able to suss out some answers for those two tools in the overhaul after the stable. They're sort of the bread and butter of content modding :)
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Postby SirCxyrtyx » 22 Apr 2016, 16:05

FemShep wrote:@sir you know how kinko found out how to fix seekfreeshadercache? I feel like having a "fix seekfreeshadercache" button would go a lonnnnnggg ways for users, since it could easily be automated. Just include a binary blob to set data as, look up names, voila.

That is an excellent idea. You should open an issue on github and I'll add it to my list.
SirCxyrtyx
Toolset Lead

Return to Off Topic