STICKY | Mod Etiquette for Toolset Modders

Complimentary board where content modders may host dev threads for mods destined for release. Communicate information, find testers, release Betas, etc.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

27 Apr 2016, 14:16 #1

Hey everyone :)

I've been meaning to toss this thread up for a little while. It'll be a handy resource for both new and old modders.

There's really only two things I want to touch on, but if there are any more suggestions, please post and I'll add them to this OP.

1. DLC Mod Compatibility Resource
Located on the wiki. When developing your DLC mod, please post the relevant data here for your mod as soon as possible. It's not always practical to post immediately, as shit happens and things can change during development, but post as soon as you feel like it's a good idea. That will help prevent multiple modders from using the same mount priority, etc.

I'm absolutely guilty of not keeping this up-to-date even for mods I work on, so I know that it takes some effort. Please try to make time to do it; it'll literally take no more than 10 minutes :]

2. Post your mod's file list
I'm going to be up front right now and say this has become a pet peeve of mine from managing BackOff, MERe, and ThaneMOD, so I apologize in advance if I come off overly grumpy.

Here's the deal:

Releasing EXE's is incredibly convenient for users, and incredibly inconvenient for fellow modders.

With the relocation of the DLC Mod Compatibility thread from the forums to the wiki, the modding community no longer has access to updated file lists for each mod. This means it's up to the mod authors to make this information accessible for other modders. As it stands right now, almost everyone bundles their files into EXEs, which means when I go investigate compatibility with basically any other DLC mod out there, I have to download the mod, run the EXE, and install the files, just to see what the mod edits. This is both inconvenient and unnecessary.

I'm not saying you have to go nuts like I do and create a detailed spreadsheet (like in the BO Public folder I linked above), but supplying this basic information is an enormous help for other modders. There are lots of ways to do this: a pastebin, a Google doc, via the Changelog tab on Nexus, via a special Nexus "Article", and others.

Another option is to simply upload an alternate, manual version of your mod with only loose files. Nexus allows previewing of zipped file contents, so loose files are visible just by using this feature; no download needed. You could even keep them in the root of the zipped folder, and not in DLC mod structure, as a deterrent for normal users.

It's totally up to you the way you go, but please, consider providing this information in an easily-accessible form to your fellow modders :)

------------

That's it for now! If I think of anything else, or if others have suggestions, just pop up a post :)

CreeperLava
User

27 Apr 2016, 14:28 #2

Just a quick note, the EXEs made to install mods can generally be opened by archiving utilities like 7z. No need to install them, you can just extract the content and take what's interesting to you.

giftfish
Toolset Developer

27 Apr 2016, 15:12 #3

CreeperLava wrote:Just a quick note, the EXEs made to install mods can generally be opened by archiving utilities like 7z. No need to install them, you can just extract the content and take what's interesting to you.
Ha. That I didn't know; it's not listed in the tool under "Open Archive", so I never even bothered to check. That's a great tip to avoid having to run the EXE, and solves that part of the problem. The main issue however, does remain, unfortunately.

Thanks for sharing, Creeper :]

Deager
Modder

27 Apr 2016, 15:16 #4

I just did your favorite thing, giftfish. I skimmed what you wrote!

Seriously though, looks good. I'm actually going OCD on my spreadsheets right now including notes on why the files are there as well. It won't cover every reason, but it will cover every file I override and also add, as I have few names for afc files which may be too common.

Except for the basics modders know. For example, when I list the folder name of the mod, then you also know I have added <foldername>INT.tlk, etc.

So, I'll get cracking on this and try to get it done so people know what and why I'm messing with what I'm messing.

giftfish
Toolset Developer

27 Apr 2016, 15:28 #5

@Deager -- Take it as far as you want. More information never hurts anyone. A simple file list is the bare minimum, imo. At least supply that.

If folks want to go further and supply a list of all plots, strings, conditional expressions, etc, that requires a significant amount of work, and should be entirely up to the modder. Just a file list is all I'm asking. That way, you at least know if you need to investigate the mod further, or if things look good and you can basically forget about it. All without having to take the extra time to download.

And actually, we can even create an additional column in the wiki table for "File List" so people could place links there. That might be a good idea :)

FYI -- For folks who decide to use Google Docs, feel free to hijack my format from BO if it makes it easier.

Deager
Modder

27 Apr 2016, 15:32 #6

Yeah, I just started reading your list. Sheesh. That's thorough. :) I'm not even sure if I remember every detail at this point from last year when CEM was, in theory, done. But a file list is no problem. Thank you Chrome and pasting in folder paths to make this a lot easier.

giftfish
Toolset Developer

27 Apr 2016, 15:35 #7

Deager wrote:Thank you Chrome and pasting in folder paths to make this a lot easier.
Oh, damn. I need to know that trick for Firefox...

Deager
Modder

27 Apr 2016, 15:38 #8

Looks like Firefox can do it but the formatting is way easier if you use Chrome. I gather IE cannot do it.

CreeperLava
User

27 Apr 2016, 16:00 #9

I'm not sure why you would need Chrome or Firefox for a file list ? You can do that pretty easily with a command line, like "dir > log.txt", or with something like Bulk Rename Utility. Very handy tool, by the way !

giftfish
Toolset Developer

27 Apr 2016, 16:13 #10

@Creeper -- I'm not sure what "formatting" Deager is using, but keep in mind that most folks are not comfortable using command line (Deager probably is).

Bulk Rename Utility might be a good option, but, from it's name, I certainly wouldn't conclude it could make file lists, lol. So, that's good to know. I use Advanced Renamer, so now I'm curious if it has the same feature :)

For creating my spreadsheets, I just copy and paste the file names, but there's a lot of clicking involved. Ack.