Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Strange issue with BioP_char modding...maybe a bug?

Basic questions on how to achieve certain modding goals with the toolset. Texture and mesh-related questions have their own subforum. Answers not guaranteed.

Strange issue with BioP_char modding...maybe a bug?

Postby ElysiumFic » 14 Dec 2016, 02:21

The Problem: Cloned item in position #27 on the hair slider array displays as a duplicate of #26 unless there is an identical entry in position #38 on the slider, in which case it shows up properly.
ME3Explorer version/revision used: 3.0.1
Tool used when experiencing the problem: PackageEditor/MeshPlorer/Texplorer
Windows version (e.g., Win7x64): Windows 10
Game localization (English, etc): English
Is your game pirated, EXE cracked, etc?: No
Describe what you have done to troubleshoot the issue: See below

I'm hesitant to report this as a bug until I'm sure, but it's looking that way. I just want to see if anyone has any thoughts first.

I've created a bunch of cloned entries for male hairstyles, as seen here:

Spoiler:

I added them to sfxmorphfrontend_male and for the most part they work fine, with one exception. When I click along the slider to GPGm12 (which would be element #27 in the hair components array in sfxmorphfrontend_male) what is displayed is another copy of GPGm11 (#26 on the array/slider). If I go ahead and select that hair when creating a character, GPGm11 is displayed in game, and the information for GPGm11 is written to the savefile. I've gone over all the information for that entry in the array MANY times, Ottemis even looked at it screenshots of all the relevant stuff for me, and everything is exactly what it should be.
Spoiler:
http://i.imgur.com/yqJiSp3.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/H68k8N1.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/7eCC22L.jpg

(there are screencaps of other relevant stuff but just take it on faith that it's all been quintuple-checked and is correct. Moving on....)

So, thinking it was a little strange but working on something else for a moment, I created another hairstyle, GPGm23, onto which I intended to install the mesh and texture for what should have been GPGm12, just so I can run tests on some tweaks I'm doing to the textures.

This is where it gets really strange.

Having added GPGm23 (element #38) to the array for the slider, GPGm12 (element #27) started showing up exactly as it was supposed to in the character creator. Which meant I now had two copies of that hairstyle on the slider, in positions 27 and 38.

So I went and deleted GPGm12 (#27) from the slider array. And then GPGm13 (which became #27 with GPGm12 deleted) showed up as identical to GPGm11 (#26 on the slider.) So basically the same problem. Obviously it wasn't the array entry for GPGm12, right? Must be the entry for GPGm11.

Therefore I went back to my backup of the file with the original 22 cloned items. I added items GPGm23 and GPGm24 to replace items GPGm11 and GPGm12, which I then deleted from the array.

The result? GPGm13 (which is now #26 on the slider) shows up for both GPGm13 and GPGm14 (#27 on the slider.)

So, tl;dr: it appears that #27 on the slider is only displayed properly and written to the savegame properly if there is an identical item in position #38 on the slider. Otherwise, whatever is in position #27 on the slider is simply a duplicate of whatever is in position #26.

Here's the BioP_char with the original 22 cloned entries if anyone wants to have a look at it. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwKYIAAdvVtqMU5WUHZwZjRWdkk
Last edited by ElysiumFic on 14 Dec 2016, 03:02, edited 1 time in total.
ElysiumFic
User

Have thanks: 4 time

Re: Strange issue with BioP_char modding...maybe a bug?

Postby Ottemis » 14 Dec 2016, 03:02

Ima try and duplicate this issue tomorrow with the female stuff I'm working on, I'll report my findings then. See what's what.

Ottemis has been thanked by:
Ottemis
Harbinger

Have thanks: 247 time

Postby Kinkojiro » 14 Dec 2016, 04:49

Usually problems where one object is being shown to be another are due to the index being identical or a incorrect reference in the mesh/materials. Check the meta-data. I generally mark cloned objects with indexes the same as their object number. That prevents duplication.

Kinkojiro has been thanked by:
Kinkojiro
Modder

Have thanks: 249 time

Postby ElysiumFic » 14 Dec 2016, 06:12

I did check all that and it checks out, unless you can see something I missed. The indexes all need to be zeros or I get default shep when I try to use it in-game. Attaching screencaps. Thank you!

GPGm11 (26 on slider) package metadata:

GPGm11 (26 on slider) texture metadata:

GPGm11 (26 on slider) material hex/interpreter:

GPGm11 (26 on slider) material metadata:

GPGm11 (26 on slider) mesh metadata:

GPGm11 (26 on slider) in Meshplorer (material assignment checks out.)

GPGm12 (27 on slider) package metadata:

GPGm12 (27 on slider) texture metadata:

GPGm12 (27 on slider) material hex/interpreter:

GPGm12 (27 on slider) material metadata:

GPGm12 (27 on slider) mesh metadata

GPGm12 (27 on slider) in Meshplorer (material assignment checks out.)

I'm so stumped lol.
ElysiumFic
User

Postby FemShep » 15 Dec 2016, 21:06

Just a heads up that BioP_char exists for both genesis2 and vanilla, so you'll need to modify both. Additionally this won't work with controller mod as it is more than just GUI work on that file (lot of hackery had to be done to get it working), so if you release this as a mod you might want to point that out.
ME3Tweaks has modding guides, tools, forums for mods, a modding wiki, and ModMaker, an online mod creation tool.
ME3 Mod Manager, the civilized way of installing and managing ME3 mods.
ME3Tweaks Facebook Page

FemShep has been thanked by:
FemShep
Modder

Have thanks: 76 time

Postby ElysiumFic » 15 Dec 2016, 21:21

I knew about Genesis and planned to make sure people were aware (or release a Genesis compatibility version) but I didn't know about the controller mod. Thanks for the heads-up!
ElysiumFic
User

Postby ElysiumFic » 16 Dec 2016, 21:00

So I rebuilt my BioP_Char.pcc from scratch to see if I had screwed something up with creating the new slider array elements, but the results were the same.

To recap, the situation is that array element #27 on the Hair slider (which would be the 28th shown in the CC screen, because the count starts at zero) shows up as identical to array element #26. That only, I believe could have been an error in entry on my part (even though everything checks out--see screenshots above) except for the following behaviors:

1) If I create another hair component in the slider array at position #38 and give it the same mesh, etc, as the one that isn't displaying properly, the one that is missing starts displaying exactly as it should, meaning I then have two identical hairs on the slider.

2) If I delete the element that is not showing up from the array, the next element (which moves up into position #27) will behave the same way and (i.e. show up as identical to #26) even though it was fine when it used to be #28.

3) If I delete both #26 and #27, the two elements that move up into those positions (formerly #28 and #29) will begin to behave the same way. The latter will be displayed as identical to the former.

I don't know what else to do other than suck it up and accept that I'm going to have a duplicate on the slider. Nothing I do prevents this behavior for this particular element on the hair slider array.
ElysiumFic
User

Postby giftfish » 17 Dec 2016, 03:42

This really isn't a specific toolset help issue or a bug report (which belong on Git not here), so moving to "How do I..."
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Postby ElysiumFic » 17 Dec 2016, 18:02

An update:

ran into the same exact problem in the same exact place cloning female hairs. Whatever occupies slot 27 on the array (28th item on the slider in CC) shows up as a duplicate of whatever is occupying slot 26 UNLESS there is something occupying slot 38 (doesn't have to be a duplicate of 27 apparently.) So if you're adding more than 22 items to the array, it's not an issue. Problem with the male hairs is that there are only 22 of them that I was adding.
ElysiumFic
User

Postby ElysiumFic » 18 Dec 2016, 20:17

Another update:

It appears that this isn't isolated to the 28th item on the Hair Components slider (#27 in the array in PackEd.)

When I had only 38 items in the array, #27 was affected. When I added a 39th item, the problem with #27 corrected itself.

I didn't notice any more issues (they might have been there, I just wasn't paying attention) as I added more items to the array in small batches, until I got to the point where I had 92 items in the array.

When I got to that point, #7 (which is a vanilla, basegame hair), #14, #28, #55 and #85 exhibited the problem behavior (i.e. they were appearing in the character creator and writing to the savegame as duplicates of the items that come before them in the array.) Since #7 is a basegame item that I never touched, I can say with absolute certainty that the problem has nothing to do with data entry errors made when cloning the hairs and adding them to the array.

Knowing that it's not due to data entry errors, I went ahead and added more items just to see what would happen. When I had 122 items on the array, the issue had gone away for the items that had problems before (except one, which I'll be taking a closer look at), but now appeared for the following:

#1, #4, #8 (all vanilla, basegame hairs that worked fine previously), #16, #32, #63, #85

I don't know what to make of this. The fact that the problem corrects itself for one as you add more items to the array, but then affects another while the one that was affected before shows up fine, eliminates the possibility of it being errors making the entries on my part. If it were an error, it would persist or the same entries as I added more items to the array, and obviously it doesn't.

I don't know exactly what I should do here. Should I report it as a bug? Could a bug cause this sort of behavior?

ETA: When I added another five hairs, all the problems disappeared (#85, it turns out, wasn't a problem, just two hair styles that I had forgotten were nearly identical from the front.)

But they will probably appear again as I continue to add more.
ElysiumFic
User

Next

Return to How do I...?