Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Tali real time reflections

Complimentary board where content modders may host dev threads for mods destined for release. Communicate information, find testers, release Betas, etc.

Tali real time reflections

Postby SirCxyrtyx » 18 Nov 2016, 04:11

Inspired by the prothean sphere in Kinkojiro's fabulous EGM, I thhought it would be cool if Tali's visor was slightly reflective. So I added real time reflections to it. This will of course be murder on the framerates of lower-end computers, but it's kinda cool. I've only done it for Tali's default appearance so far. If people are actually interested in this I could set it up for her alternate appearances and Armax arena files to make a complete mod of it.

Here's a still image from combat on cyone:

Here's a dialogue that shows it in motion.

I lowered the cubemap intensity to 0.2 for a more subtle reflection effect so that it doesn't completely overpower her face.

SirCxyrtyx has been thanked by:
SirCxyrtyx
Toolset Lead

Have thanks: 288 time

Re: Tali real time reflections

Postby CreeperLava » 18 Nov 2016, 06:22

I'm definitely interested, I'd love to see a mod made out of it !
CreeperLava
User

Have thanks: 83 time

Postby Sil » 18 Nov 2016, 06:46

As am I. Great work :D
Sil
User

Have thanks: 13 time

Postby KFreon » 18 Nov 2016, 07:48

Wow...How'd you do that?
KFreon
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 520 time

Postby Deager » 18 Nov 2016, 13:39

SirCxyrtyx wrote:Inspired by the prothean sphere in Kinkojiro's fabulous EGM, I thhought it would be cool if Tali's visor was slightly reflective. So I added real time reflections to it.

It's the classic idea and implementation from SirCxyrtyx. "Something maybe nobody asked for and yet a lot people now want."

I'm pretty happy with the current state of mods available but this is just one of those tech-demos you've done where it's like, yeah, how could someone not want that to exist? I'd say if it sounds fun to you, do it. Hopefully this complicated mod is doable with minimal compatibility issues with other mods out there.

Side note; that Shepard is pretty close to what I was envisioning for a trilogy run with ThaneMOD v3.0 (when it's available.) Would you mind sharing that face code? I could use it as a base to make a cross between that and Vivienne's look from DA:3.
Deager
Modder

Have thanks: 164 time

Postby giftfish » 18 Nov 2016, 14:38

Very cool, Sir. Fun with materials :)
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Postby SirCxyrtyx » 18 Nov 2016, 17:42

Deager wrote:Side note; that Shepard is pretty close to what I was envisioning for a trilogy run with ThaneMOD v3.0 (when it's available.) Would you mind sharing that face code? I could use it as a base to make a cross between that and Vivienne's look from DA:3.

811.C1N.111.F91.ILF.19W.REF.1AD.DC9.1AH.146.616

KFreon wrote:Wow...How'd you do that?

Well, I imported the SceneCaptureCubeMapActor and its components and the TextureRenderTargetCube from EGM's BioA_Nor_100Cabin into Tali's BioH, and did all the necessary voodoo to get the SceneCaptureCubeMapActor added to the level. Repointed Tali's visor materialinstance to use the TextureRenderTargetCube as a cubemap. Positioned the SceneCaptureCubeMapActor inside Tali's head. The hard part was getting it to move with her, which required me to figure out the internals of the Unreal Engine's system for attaching actors to other actors.

I added this property to Tali's SFXStuntActor(Same process applies to her Pawn in combat files):

And these properties to the SceneCaptureCubeMapActor:

SirCxyrtyx has been thanked by:
SirCxyrtyx
Toolset Lead

Have thanks: 288 time

Postby giftfish » 18 Nov 2016, 20:42

SirCxyrtyx wrote:The hard part was getting it to move with her, which required me to figure out the internals of the Unreal Engine's system for attaching actors to other actors.

This sounds handy.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Postby Sil » 18 Nov 2016, 20:59

SirCxyrtyx wrote:The hard part was getting it to move with her, which required me to figure out the internals of the Unreal Engine's system for attaching actors to other actors.

Sounds like a line from a modern version of Frankenstein set in Hollywood.
Sil
User

Have thanks: 13 time

Postby Kinkojiro » 18 Nov 2016, 22:04

Nicely done. I was looking at the cube maps in the andromeda visors just the other day wondering how much they would torch the game performance.

You can manually adjust the frequency of the video capture frame rate. Setting to zero means it only captures once when the level goes visible. Whilst that is not ideal it saves a lot of horsepower.

Now if only I could get a geodesic sphere mesh to show in game it would mean the sphere looks perfect.
Kinkojiro
Modder

Have thanks: 249 time

Next

Return to Mods in Development