Tali Romance Mod [WIP]

Complimentary board where content modders may host dev threads for mods destined for release. Communicate information, find testers, release Betas, etc.
AVPen
Modder

24 Jan 2016, 05:09 #1

I'm kind of hesitant to talk about this new mod that I've started work on... partly cause I know people will be annoyed I've started work on this when I still have to finish MEWAM, but also because some of the planned features I want to add with this hasn't been fully tested yet or even attempted before.

However, this is a project I've wanted to see since I started playing ME3 and with the current level of ME3 modding, I feel that it's feasibly possible to pull this mod off... so I'm gonna throw insanity to the wind, say "F*** it", and give it a shot, lol. :roll:

So if you really want to know what T.R.M. is:

T.R.M stands for the Tali Romance Mod:

Currently planned features of the mod include:
- new Tali photo for Shepard's cabin, featuring an actual in-game style 3D face (no longer a f***ing cheap-ass Photoshop'd pic...)

- new romanced-based email from Tali sent after "Priority: Rannoch" mission, non-romanced Shepards will still receive her original email (Tali's email after Rannoch always rubbed me as a little too impersonal for Shepards who romanced her, so I decided to write an alternative version for romanced Shepards)

- alternative email versions from Admiral Shala'Raan based on whether or not Shepard romanced Tali (just a small edit, honestly - if Shepard didn't romance Tali, then the sentence "Take care of Tali'Zorah for me" will be removed from Raan's email, while romanced-Shepards will still have that sentence).

- during the 3rd and final Dream sequence, replace the "dream" Shepard who hugs the kid with Tali or other LI based on Shepard's romance (this is going to be a really tricky one - I'm not sure yet whether or not it's even possible to swap out the dream Shepard with another character, but I'll what I can do. Personally, I think having Shepard's LI be the one to burn in the dream would be a much stronger scene and would tie more into Shepard's fears than just seeing himself burn, while non-romanced Shepards would get the original scene)

- and now the big one..... AN HONEST-TO-GOD, FULL ROMANCE SCENE BETWEEN SHEPARD AND AN UNMASKED, "UNBUCKLED" TALI (based on the Shepard/Ashley romance scene.... this is the one that's gonna require a metric sh*t-ton of work to do, but theoretically, I believe it can be done with the current ME3Explorer toolset and the techniques the community has been developing over the past year, like my custom textures process)
;)
Last edited by AVPen on 28 Apr 2016, 15:20, edited 3 times in total.

CreeperLava
User

24 Jan 2016, 09:21 #2

That's some impressive 3D-modeling, I like it ! Any in-game screens yet ?

Forgetti
User

24 Jan 2016, 11:30 #3

ok. I instantly support this mod. Holy shit. it's ambitious but you are a great moddder man. I'm sure you can pull it off

AVPen
Modder

24 Jan 2016, 21:50 #4

CreeperLava wrote:That's some impressive 3D-modeling, I like it ! Any in-game screens yet ?
That will be in the next phase of testing for the mod (hope to start work on that in the next few days).

Forgetti
User

24 Jan 2016, 22:39 #5

I don't think I'm ever gonna be able to stop checking this thread every hour to see if there's any new info

sansuni
Modder

25 Jan 2016, 12:06 #6

I love your ideas, Bioware really didn't do justice to Tali romance, but if you can pull it off and I am sure you could, this could remedy that. (well, they didn't do justice to anything in the game really, but they really went cheap with Tali romance.) I also like the model, but for whatever reason, it just doesn't seem right to me. It feels like it isn't complete. So I have a few suggestions if you would accept them...

There is this concept art, I believe it was from the original ME3 concept artist but I could be wrong about that:
[+] spoiler
I wouldn't call it perfect, yours look better in my opinion, but I believe it got a few things right, like how Tali has bigger eyes and iris's. Also, ignoring how god awful her lip color is in this concept art, her lips appear to be slightly wider and bigger than average. I just feel like she looks way to human like in your model and she should look just a bit more distinguished.

And lastly, instead of removing that line from Admiral Shala'Raan's mail, (that line still makes some sense even if Shepard didn't romance Tali, since Shepard is Tali's captain and for Quarians thats considered a secret bond and Tali is now even called "Tali'Zorah vas Normandy". Thats big among Quarians.) you could make it more personal, like Admiral Shala'Raan saying "Take care of Tali'Zorah for me and try to stay safe, Tali needs you." or something like that.

I will be watching this mod like an hawk. Keep up the good work! :)

AVPen
Modder

27 Jan 2016, 06:26 #7

Little update on modeling WIP:
[+] spoiler
Obviously it's not complete yet, just wanted to show a quick render to give an idea of how I'm approaching Tali's "unbuckled" model (the hood turned out especially well). Things left to do on it:
- narrow her neck
- finish her exposed hand (enlarge her fingers, finish the mesh of her palm's ridge)
- trim and edit the edge of her suit's right arm (where her suit and exposed skin meet)
- finish the skin textures for her chest
- finish the opened suit's trim where her chest is exposed
- "break apart" the metal bar between the metal cylinders on her chest and spread open that area of her suit a little more
sansuni wrote:There is this concept art, I believe it was from the original ME3 concept artist but I could be wrong about that:
[+] spoiler
I wouldn't call it perfect, yours look better in my opinion, but I believe it got a few things right, like how Tali has bigger eyes and iris's. Also, ignoring how god awful her lip color is in this concept art, her lips appear to be slightly wider and bigger than average. I just feel like she looks way to human like in your model and she should look just a bit more distinguished.
That illustration was done by Matt Rhodes, fyi.
Her eyes in that pic look physcially bigger due to an optical illusion due to her irises being larger, the sclera of her eyes being black instead of white, and the dark "tatoo" markings around her eyes. Also her lips aren't bigger either when you look at them in proportion to her face (in placement to her chin, nose, etc), they're actually very close to the size of normal human lips.

Deager
Modder

27 Jan 2016, 14:40 #8

I love the idea. I wasn't planning on another Tali romance run if you pull this off, I'm totally having Shep romance Tali.

If you figure out the dream stuff, that would be sweet. I'd make sure to alert all users of your mod to NOT use my Shorter Dreams mod. Which reminds me...time to chat with giftfish.

Erior
User

28 Jan 2016, 13:32 #9

Mmm, I'd suggest changing the sclera color and increasing the iris size; consistent with pretty much every single piece of concept art, while the ones here are a bit into the human/asari spectrum. I'd also suggest you to tweak the nose shape, it is quite reminiscent of Liara's from that angle, and combined with the bluish tint of the skin, the freckles and the shape of the eyebrows, it may lead to some feeling of lack of uniqueness. Nice move obscuring the ears, in any case. ;)

Nitpicking aside (and please, call me out if uncalled for, this is your project), I can only wish you the best of luck and congratulate the degree of ambition.

AVPen
Modder

03 Feb 2016, 21:07 #10

Modeling update #2:
[+] spoiler
Tali's "unhooded" model has been completed (am going to do a slight color change to the "edge" plate where her suit and neck meet); her neck has also been slimmed down so it anatomically matches the size of the neck plates of her suit. Once I've finished up the texture work on her face, eyes, etc. I'll be able to start work on Tali's new photo for Shepard's cabin, as well as start some in-game tests of her new models/textures (so I can hopefully use that model for the 3rd Dream sequence..... IF I can actually get Dream Shepard replaced with another character model, lol).