Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Testers Needed | Prep for v110 Stable Release

General news and announcements for ME3Explorer.

Testers Needed | Prep for v110 Stable Release

Postby giftfish » 23 Mar 2016, 16:34

The new stable is very close. So close that we've decided to clamp down on new feature requests on Git until it's released.

To help us cross the finish line, we really, really need some additional testers. CreeperLava and I are basically doing all the testing right now, which is something that needs to change. Thorough testing is time-consuming (and not particularly fun), but it needs to be done. After such a long wait for this stable we can't afford to let any significant bugs (and even less significant ones) sneak through.

Here's what the primary needs are:

• Pathing Check Changes -- This should happen upon first opening the toolset, as part of the DLC extraction dialogue. Pathing checks/menu options are being removed from all of K's tools.
  • DLC Extraction Changes -- This should now only happen upon first opening the toolset, and only when SFARs are packed. The toolset should know if pathing is messed up and should trigger a message if it is. Testing with the CE DLC, as it's small, is ideal. A new permanent option exists to disable this check in the Options > Advanced menu.
  • ModMaker -- Needs exhaustive testing for ME3. Anything related to DLC extraction should be absent, with the exception of a popup message if mod jobs affect unextracted DLC. Mod files specifically made for extracted BW DLC and DLC mods should install to them properly. DLC TOCing should only occur if edits are made to DLC; in this case all extracted DLC should be TOC'd. Pathing option menu should be gone. Proper mod installation needs to be verified by observing the modified in-game asset; we've had cases of scripts modifying the wrong asset in the past, so checking the edits in game is imperative. In other words, just b/c the tool works and doesn't throw an error isn't a guarantee of proper functionality. Don't assume. Test and observe.
  • Texplorer -- Needs exhaustive testing for all 3 games. DLC extraction should no longer take place in the tool; pathing menu options removed. Treescanning options for ME3 will depend on DLC that have been extracted when first opening the toolset. Unextracted DLC will be ignored. Workflow for "add DLC to tree" and "change destination TFC" need to be fully-tested in the context of DLC mods. This means building an initial tree, adding a DLC mod to the tree, and changing a texture inside the DLC mod's TFC. TOCing should only affect DLC when DLC files are affected. All other menu options need to be tested and verified functional. Again, like with ModMaker, proper texture installation needs to be verified in game for all 3 games.
  • TPF Tools -- Needs exhaustive testing for all 3 games. This tool is 100% dependent upon generating a tree with Texplorer, so all DLC extraction-related content should be absent. Pathing options are now absent. Like with ModMaker and Texplorer, proper texture installation needs to be verified in game for all 3 games.

I hope folks can see that this is a large list. It takes a long time to test all this stuff, and Creeper and I don't have the time to do it all ourselves. Getting a few other folks to pitch in is necessary. In the future, I'd like testing to become a bit more organized, but that's a discussion for later.

If you can test *anything* on this list, please download r744 (or the current beta) and do so. Keep in mind that it's of the utmost importance that your results are accurate; it's possible that if you test something and there's no problems, we'll cross it off the list and nobody else will test it again prior to the stable.

Once you've tested a feature, make a post here verifying the feature as tested and "passed". If there's a problem, post an issue on GitHub. Be sure to put the rev#, tool name, and a concise description of the problem in the title. Follow this with a concise and thoughtful description of the problem. If you test a mod/tpf/texture that doesn't install properly, upload the file and debug/error output.

If you have questions about how a feature should work, ask in this thread and myself, K, or Sir will respond as quickly as we can.

The sooner we can get this tested and any lingering issues addressed, the sooner we can release the stable. If you have already tested any of the above on rev744 and can verify it works, please let us know.

One final important detail. The summary of features above is how things *should* work before the stable. With how rapidly revs are being released and discussions on GitHub that are ongoing, it's possible that not all the changes I've outlined above are in rev744. Therefore, if something seems weird and you're not sure, just ask here before reporting an issue :)
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Re: Testers Needed | Prep for v110 Stable Release

Postby giftfish » 23 Mar 2016, 16:50

FYI --

1. I can verify that removal of the pathing menu options in K's tools hasn't yet been implemented. Guessing it will by the next rev.

2. I've fully-tested ModMaker and updated all outstanding issues on Git. Still have some problems.

3. Tested Pathing and DLC extraction. Updated issues on Git; both still need a couple tweaks.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby Deager » 23 Mar 2016, 23:45

I'll publicly commit to testing tonight. I'll try the texture stuff as my SSD and new machine can sort of rip through that quickly.
Deager
Modder

Have thanks: 164 time

Postby The Fob » 24 Mar 2016, 01:00

Tests done with rev744 on win7 x64:

Pathing Check: Finds the correct path for me

DLC Extraction window: Shows only when there is unextracted DLC. But if there is unextracted DLC it shows every time I open ME3Explorer (not sure how it is intended, I think it's good this way but giftfish wrote it should only show when ME3Explorer is opened for the first time. Right now, it does shows every time I open the program as long as there is unextracted DLC.)

Texplorer: Treebuilding worked without issues when all DLCs are extracted.

That's all I could test for now. Will post when I got something new.
The Fob
Modder

Have thanks: 212 time

Postby Deager » 24 Mar 2016, 04:31

Treescan for ME3 worked fine and unpacking DLC was fine for all 3 games on first launch. I left the options as default for the DLC extraction when using texplorer, which breezed past it since they were already extracted.

Feeling a bit dense but I didn't see how to switch among ME1, ME2, and ME3 so only ME3 scan occurred. For the moment, I have started a massive tpf install for ME3 of my base textures and will see how it turned out in the morning.
Deager
Modder

Postby CreeperLava » 24 Mar 2016, 06:18

@Deager, there is currently a bug in Texplorer, the Modding MEx button is invisible.
I'll do some testing as well this week-end, mainly on TPF/DDS Tools.
CreeperLava
User

Have thanks: 83 time

Postby Deager » 24 Mar 2016, 13:16

CreeperLava wrote:@Deager, there is currently a bug in Texplorer, the Modding MEx button is invisible.
I'll do some testing as well this week-end, mainly on TPF/DDS Tools.

Thanks. I was pretty sure that was the case and it was probably clearly stated but I also figured I could be being dumb.

Textures worked great for ME3 by the way. Usually my 665 collection turns up with the low 600s as being valid, even after a repair. This time; 663. Including the nefarious eyelash textures.

So, I'll keep plugging away at other things on the list this evening and maybe a bit as I work from home today.
Deager
Modder

Postby giftfish » 24 Mar 2016, 14:36

The Fob wrote:DLC Extraction window: Shows only when there is unextracted DLC. But if there is unextracted DLC it shows every time I open ME3Explorer (not sure how it is intended, I think it's good this way but giftfish wrote it should only show when ME3Explorer is opened for the first time. Right now, it does shows every time I open the program as long as there is unextracted DLC.)

It will always show unless you turn it off in Options > Advanced > Disable DLC Check on Startup.

@Fob, Deager -- Thanks for testing :D
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby giftfish » 24 Mar 2016, 15:25

Rev745 -- I'll be updating this post throughout the day, fyi.

1. DLC Extraction. -- Pathing button fixed so it does now open paths dialog. Extraction still works properly; disabling extraction with Options > Advanced works.

2. K's Tools (All) -- Change Path menu options removed. Game Path indicators broken for ME1/ME2, reported on Git.

3. ModMaker -- Pathing bug above is basically rendering the tool unusable right now. Reported on Git.

4. Texplorer --
  • Tested Add DLC to Tree + Change Custom TFC workflow with DLC mods. Works great. There's a TOC issue atm, but that shouldn't be a problem to fix. One big caveat to this method, though. If you add the DLC, swap out a texture, then re-scan that same DLC later b/c you need to add a new PCC, then that texture that you swapped will appear *twice* in Texplorer. Once with the original hash and texture, and once with the new hash and texture. This means modders will need to pay close attention to what they're doing.
  • Update TOCs is totally broken; posting an issue momentarily.
  • Tested all other features for ME3 EXCEPT Start TPF Mode. If someone else could test this, I'd appreciate it. Issues posted on Git.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby giftfish » 25 Mar 2016, 16:39

Here's a quick update of where things are at for rev746:

1. DLC Extraction and Pathing -- I think this is done. Folks can allow/not allow as they want during testing and see if the tools behave as they are supposed to. Remember, if you don't extract, then that DLC can't be modded; the others should be able to be, though.

2. ModMaker -- There are currently 3 lingering issues, 242, 258, and 269 on Git. It would be handy if folks tried running some mods -- especially older ones that need updating -- and see if they install properly. If not, make an issue on Git with the error message and upload the script and the mod file, if possible. Currently, I'm having problems getting anything to install properly to DLC. In part b/c of script errors, and in part b/c of the tool thinking my DLC aren't extracted, when they are.

3. Texplorer -- Lots of outstanding issues, currently. Installation of normals needs testing in all 3 games. I'm having issues with Texplorer spontaneously crashing while treescanning; would be nice to know if others are having the same problem. I've experienced it probably 2/6 attempts so far. I've tested some texture installation for ME1. Installation for 1024x1024 textures is currently borked, but other sizes need testing. I've done no testing for ME2 yet. EDIT: Tested diff, norm, spec, spwr installation for ME2 textures that don't have fussy alpha channels (armor), and all work great.

4. TPF Tools -- Forthcoming.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Next

Return to Announcements