Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

The BioWare Forums are closing on August 26....

General chat about Mass Effect or otherwise.

Re: The BioWare Forums are closing on August 26....

Postby Deager » 01 Aug 2016, 23:07

giftfish wrote:I am officially extra cranky that it's 5pm Eastern Time and not a single BioWare employee was on the forums to communicate with the player base today.

Not a single response regarding Projects and the DAO Toolset and wiki.

Yeah, they just want nothing to do with forum moderation anymore. I don't know why...it's just very odd. I do feel a few very odd characters seem attracted to Bioware titles and then are crap on the boards but to penalize all of us? Something else is going on. I'm not going to bother hypothesizing because in the end, we really will never know. But seriously. Closing shop and then basically ignoring people is not cool. I don't even think I'd ever do something like that with my own mods and interacting with people who download them. Not without warning, like I just did by taking some old versions down.
Deager
Modder

Have thanks: 164 time

Postby CreeperLava » 01 Aug 2016, 23:25

giftfish wrote:I'm chatting a bit with Nexus via PM, fyi.

Great, keep us updated !
CreeperLava
User

Have thanks: 83 time

Postby giftfish » 01 Aug 2016, 23:40

CreeperLava wrote:
giftfish wrote:I'm chatting a bit with Nexus via PM, fyi.

Great, keep us updated !

Yep, will do. No actual news yet, which is why I didn't elaborate beyond that.

There's a public thread, here:

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php? ... d-be-lost/

giftfish has been thanked by:
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Postby crazyrabbits » 02 Aug 2016, 00:50

Deager wrote:Yeah, they just want nothing to do with forum moderation anymore. I don't know why...it's just very odd. I do feel a few very odd characters seem attracted to Bioware titles and then are crap on the boards but to penalize all of us? Something else is going on. I'm not going to bother hypothesizing because in the end, we really will never know. But seriously. Closing shop and then basically ignoring people is not cool. I don't even think I'd ever do something like that with my own mods and interacting with people who download them. Not without warning, like I just did by taking some old versions down.

It's not odd. They just have no understanding of how to do it, and haven't tried in years.

I'll repost something I said on the forum itself:

They cultivated that image from the get-go. Mods like Priestly and Woo effectively silenced criticism, or outright lied (i.e. the requirements needed to unlock ME3's "best" ending) constantly. It was under Priestly's watch that the forum became as unhinged as it did. Reactionary instead of proactive.

In that respect, I can at least understand where some of the higher-ups would be coming from. But shutting down the forum isn't the way to do it. Wizards of the Coast got away with closing their forum because virtually no one was visiting it consistently. This is a different scenario, and it's clear that no one's ever bothered to make the effort in years to promote or overhaul the forum. The fact that this is coming in the wake of an upcoming triple-AAA title, in 2016, is so absurd as to be laughable.

Slapping a new coat of paint on it every so often isn't the way. It's a place that was mired in bad leadership and inconsistent moderation for years, and all this handwringing from past employees that it was overdue is ignoring the very problems they themselves brought to the forum.
crazyrabbits
User

Have thanks: 13 time

Postby CreeperLava » 02 Aug 2016, 19:59

Some news : https://forum.bioware.com/topic/575063- ... p=20425799
Apparently, they're "looking into what we can do to assist with archiving". Funny to see that the mods didn't agree whether or not the thread was to be closed or not.

Just thought of something. JeanLuc's and smarteck's mods are only on BSN forums right ? That's reaaaally problematic. I'll try to contact them.
CreeperLava
User

Postby giftfish » 02 Aug 2016, 21:52

CreeperLava wrote:Some news : https://forum.bioware.com/topic/575063- ... p=20425799
Apparently, they're "looking into what we can do to assist with archiving". Funny to see that the mods didn't agree whether or not the thread was to be closed or not.

Yeah, I don't believe that for a minute.

This whole thing reeks of no planning whatsoever. Someone decided "it was time" and they made the announcement without any thought about what content the Legacy site serves that doesn't consist of forums. If their intention isn't to fully close the Legacy site -- everything is already read only -- then why not just say so? And, if they do plan to close the Legacy Site, fully, then they should have already laid out the plan for how the DAO Toolset, DLC, and Patch downloads would be affected prior to the announcement. Then information about all of this should have been part of the original announcement. It would have conveyed good will, even, if they would have already arranged for a transfer of this content to a new URL and a more updated visual overhaul.

Instead, "they have no information at this time". Which means, they got caught with their pants down.

CreeperLava wrote:Just thought of something. JeanLuc's and smarteck's mods are only on BSN forums right ? That's reaaaally problematic. I'll try to contact them.

Yes. That was what I meant in my post about "forum posts that are surrogate projects". Both of those, the Cinema mod, and there are others.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby CreeperLava » 03 Aug 2016, 12:10

JeanLuc will most likely upload to the Nexus. Not sure about smarteck yet. giftfish, have you seen the PM "Shades of Night" must have sent you on BSN ? We have our confirmation, now.
CreeperLava
User

Postby giftfish » 03 Aug 2016, 18:02

CreeperLava wrote:JeanLuc will most likely upload to the Nexus. Not sure about smarteck yet. giftfish, have you seen the PM "Shades of Night" must have sent you on BSN ? We have our confirmation, now.

Yeah, I just checked.

Problem is that it's still unofficial, since there's been no announcement. I can relay the information to Nexus, but my guess is they would be a lot more comfortable if BW would just come out with their actual plan.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby Blad3Zer0 » 04 Aug 2016, 07:15

giftfish wrote:
CreeperLava wrote:JeanLuc will most likely upload to the Nexus. Not sure about smarteck yet. giftfish, have you seen the PM "Shades of Night" must have sent you on BSN ? We have our confirmation, now.

Yeah, I just checked.

Problem is that it's still unofficial, since there's been no announcement. I can relay the information to Nexus, but my guess is they would be a lot more comfortable if BW would just come out with their actual plan.

Assuming that there is a plan. I have a suspicion that this is the precursor to the downfall of BioWare. Wouldn't be surprised if the company folds after the release of ME:A.

Enough of that, though, this is hardly the time for speculation. What, if anything, can I do to assist in this venture?
Blad3Zer0
User

Have thanks: 28 time

Postby crazyrabbits » 04 Aug 2016, 16:20

Blad3Zer0 wrote:
giftfish wrote:

Yeah, I just checked.

Assuming that there is a plan. I have a suspicion that this is the precursor to the downfall of BioWare. Wouldn't be surprised if the company folds after the release of ME:A.

Enough of that, though, this is hardly the time for speculation. What, if anything, can I do to assist in this venture?

I'm going to make a pass through and download anything I see of interest, especially collections of mods. I suggest everyone else do the same.

Like you, I won't be surprised if this is the precursor to layoffs or a closure/consolidation.
crazyrabbits
User

Have thanks: 13 time

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic