Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

The BioWare Forums are closing on August 26....

General chat about Mass Effect or otherwise.

The BioWare Forums are closing on August 26....

Postby AVPen » 30 Jul 2016, 04:43

Source: http://blog.bioware.com/2016/07/29/concerning-our-forums/

I gotta say, this is a real kick to the nuts for me - although I haven't been a major poster on the forums for many months, the BioWare forums was the place where my love of BW games (particularly the Mass Effect and Dragon Age series) flourished by being able to interact and discuss with other fans, view and discover their fanworks and mods, etc. BioWare seems to believe that the forums no longer serve a purpose because the company has other venues of interacting with fans, hence one of the major reasons why they're shutting down the forums. However, in my personal opinion, the forums were never for the game developers - they were for the FANS of the GAMES. :|
AVPen
Modder

Have thanks: 116 time

Re: The BioWare Forums are closing on August 26....

Postby Sil » 30 Jul 2016, 07:29

I wouldn't be surprised if this is a method of reducing the impact of any controversy in preparation for the release of Mass Effect Andromeda.

Sil has been thanked by:
Sil
User

Have thanks: 13 time

Postby Deager » 30 Jul 2016, 14:49

This reminds me of way back when I was at danimation.com. At the time, it was primarily a forum for the original Roller Coaster Tycoon. Awesome forum, daily banter, and super fun.

One day, the owner of the site said he was closing down the forum because he wanted to use his site for his professional career. Completely within his rights to do it but yeah, it stung.

I'm actually not bummed about the forum change/going away. Not a lot of activity there lately and the most action does seem to happen on reddit and other sites. It does stink to see a developer close down shop on a forum, and a little odd, but I get it. We still have this site. I'm going to see how this site works out.

http://biowaresocialnetwork.boards.net/ ... -franchise

Not sure if it will work but I signed up to see what will happen.
Deager
Modder

Have thanks: 164 time

Postby giftfish » 30 Jul 2016, 15:03

Holy balls.

This is insane.

I don't even use the BW forums, but since when is the community all about them? It's about providing fans with a place to talk to each other. Yes, there is reddit and tumblr, but that's no substitute for hosting your own forum for your customers (players). A place you can use to have in depth discussions about your product.

Not to mention reddit and tumblr are a bit of a free for all when trolls love to lurk. There's no decent moderation there. Tumblr isn't even about group communities, it's about one person's soapbox. There are players who specifically don't use either b/c they don't enjoy that type of community. These players will register on a game's official forum, though.

I can't imagine the utter player revolt that is happening on the BW forums right now. Bethesda would never even consider doing this. I can't think of another game house that has done this recently. Forums are where you can get the most intimate, detailed, communication with your playerbase. Reddit, tumblr, FB, twitter are not a substitute.

So, what about the old social site? Where all the Projects and Blogs are hosted? Most of those projects aren't on the Nexus yet, which means they'll be lost if they aren't manually downloaded and then uploaded to Nexus by someone else. Not to mention this is also where you go to download (and authorize) content when transitioning computers for any non-Origin game on disk. Is all of it being removed in late October?
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Postby AVPen » 30 Jul 2016, 15:07

giftfish wrote:So, what about the old social site? Where all the Projects and Blogs are hosted? Most of those projects aren't on the Nexus yet, which means they'll be lost if they aren't manually downloaded and then uploaded to Nexus by someone else. Not to mention this is also where you go to download (and authorize) content when transitioning computers for any non-Origin game on disk. Is all of it being removed in late October?

All of the BioWare forum content - including the old BSN and Legacy sites - are being deleted as well, meaning that yes all of the projects and mods still left on the Legacy BSN forums will be deleted as well. :| (and the deadline is August 26th btw, not October)
AVPen
Modder

Postby giftfish » 30 Jul 2016, 15:14

The announcement says read-only until October, actually. Which still isn't a lot of time.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby giftfish » 30 Jul 2016, 15:15

I wonder if Nexus would make some accommodations like they did for when Planet Elder Scrolls and some other sites closed, so those mods could be uploaded without permission of the original author.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby AVPen » 30 Jul 2016, 15:30

giftfish wrote:The announcement says read-only until October, actually. Which still isn't a lot of time.

Yeah, I missed that last part. However, while the sites text content may be read-on till October, I do seriously wonder if for the fan project/mod content on the Legacy BSN they'll just go ahead and delete that content.

Someone posted this recently on the forums, which paraphrases BW's motivations for closing the forums:
'In order to communicate more with fans and engage in discussion, we're closing down our forum that's dedicated to communicating with fans and engaging in discussion.'

Gotta admit, I find it vaguely funny and ironic that BioWare seems to now be following the same type of logic-train that the Catalyst used in ME3's ending. :roll:
AVPen
Modder

Postby giftfish » 30 Jul 2016, 15:32

Wow, I just realized the DA Toolset wiki is hosted through the old social network.

https://social.bioware.com/wiki/datoolset

Is that going too?
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby AVPen » 30 Jul 2016, 15:37

giftfish wrote:Wow, I just realized the DA Toolset wiki is hosted through the old social network.

https://social.bioware.com/wiki/datoolset

Is that going too?

It wouldn't surprise me if that also got the axe - in truth, BW doesn't really seem to care anymore about the content or fans of the older games like DA1 or DA2, so I can well imagine that all of that type of information will be deleted as well.
AVPen
Modder

Next

Return to Off Topic