Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

The time is imminent...

General chat about Mass Effect or otherwise.

Re: The time is imminent...

Postby giftfish » 26 May 2016, 18:27

CreeperLava wrote:Beautiful !

I just unboxed the monitor to make sure there was no shipping damage and still can't stop laughing. It's fucking huge. Like, 3x the size of my laptop screen. I put it on my desk in front of my current set up, and there is *just* enough room for my books on the right side, LOL...

I am in looooove.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Postby sansuni » 31 May 2016, 08:00

I am so jealous that I don't even have any words for it. :D I wanted to upgrade my PC for a long while now (what's the point of buying new games if I can barely play them) but in my country it would cost me a fortune to get those specific parts.

I hope you get to do very nice things with your new PC. Best wishes.
sansuni
Modder

Have thanks: 7 time

Postby giftfish » 02 Jun 2016, 22:37

I'll have pics soon. Came down with a nasty cold in the middle of the migration, so I'm still not there, yet.

The build itself looks lovely :)

-----------

EDIT: I also wanted to mention, that for anyone like me who still has this non-trilogy edition of ME1 on disk, the install for Windows 10 works fine despite the SecuROM that's still present. Looks like it's actually disabled during the install process, as at least one of the files ends up with a .bak extension right afterward. Also, codes are no longer needed for BDtS, as long as you download the proper version from the link on this page. Last time I installed this stuff was 5 years ago, so my memory was pretty hazy at this point.

FYI, one other issue I had this time around was having to set anti-aliasing to application-controlled via Nvidia Control Panel/Inspector. It worked fine on my old PC, but this new one had major light flickering until it was disabled. Pretty easy to troubleshoot with Google, but figured I might as well mention it.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby giftfish » 04 Jun 2016, 22:34

And here I had almost forgotten how much I loooooathe Origin. Not forgotten, really, since I use it everyday, but my angst had retreated to the level of mere nusiance.

Ah, no more.

Getting ME3 installed is taking me over twice as long as ME1 and ME2 put together.

First, I couldn't get the Origin Gods to actually update the game once it was installed. I forced install from disk to save bandwidth, and from there it just didn't want to update. After tweaking settings, relaunching, and even rebooting in various combinations, I finally had to Repair Install a freshly installed game. Sigh.

Second, why do I have to constantly log in for a single player game that I play offline?

Oh, I know. EA doesn't really WANT you to use Offline Mode.

Consider:

1. The setting will not "stick" upon relaunching the program. Ever. Administrator or not. Compatibility mode or not. If you have an IP address you will always launch in Online Mode.

2. So, to *ensure* it launches in Offline Mode, you build rules into Windows Firewall to prevent incoming and outgoing communication of any Origin service and ME3. I had no problems doing this in Win7 prior to the release of the DLC Patcher. Suck it, BiowEAr.

3. Yay, Origin now starts in Offline Mode! ...But first it's going to attempt to ping EA for at least 3 minutes before it'll let you put in a username and password (...for a single player game that you've already registered).

4. Yes, you can launch the game, finally! But... oh no! You thought you were going to play the From Ashes DLC? Or, load up a save where you've already completed that DLC? WRONG! Stupid mortal. Even though you're in Offline Mode, the Origin Gods *know* you still have an IP address. Therefore, *it still tries to communicate with the EA servers*! And if it can't, then you are hit with the dreaded DLC Authorization error! No DLC for you!

/EA does a happy dance

To truly play offline -- with DLC present -- you MUST disconnect from the internet entirely. Pull the cable or turn off the port/wifi. Wtf.

Offline Mode = Total farce. Origin still communicates with EA. Ergo, it is not offline.

Yes, yes, the DLC Patcher solves all of this. My point is that it shouldn't be needed. Offline should be offline. As in no pinging EA's servers when you explicitly told it *not to*. Which means firewall rules wouldn't matter.

This is why I don't want Origin, Steam, or any (DRM) service between myself and my game. It should be a simple, 3-step, 5-10 minute process. Insert disk. Install. Play.

Anyhoo, I'm almost transitioned over -- thank god. While I've been looking forward to the new PC, I've been dreading the work associated with the move. Five years accumulation with as many programs I use (and games that I mod) is a lot of stuff. I still have quite a bit left to install and configure, but the bulk of what I use on a daily basis will be done once I finish ME3... which I need to go do now, lol.

For those who care, pics of the build and eyecandy monitor coming soon.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby giftfish » 04 Jun 2016, 23:02

Holy shitballs TOCing on an SSD is insane.

/happydance
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby CreeperLava » 04 Jun 2016, 23:05

Praise GOG ! The single best game store out there, or at least the only one selling you DRM free games. Too bad all the games aren't there :/. I personally use cracks for games I own, Steam/Origin just annoy me. I shouldn't have to launch (and wait for it to load) a third-party program before FINALLY being able to run the game. It's ridiculous how complicated it can get to get a game running with Steam/Origin, especially when you do modding.
CreeperLava
User

Have thanks: 83 time

Postby giftfish » 04 Jun 2016, 23:20

@Creeper -- Totally agree. If I'm going to download and not have a physical copy (or if there is no physical copy), GOG and Humble Bundle are the best.

Origin I tolerate as EA will never see my wallet ever again, so ME3 is the only game I ever have to deal with. Similarly, Skyrim is the only Steam title I have. I was livid when I found out the game required Steam -- after I pre-ordered. I've bought no other Steam titles since, but if the next TES title also requires Steam, then I'll still go ahead and purchase it. While I dislike it, Steam has not given me the same grief as Origin, and Bethesda... is not EA.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby CreeperLava » 05 Jun 2016, 08:03

True, I also have a number of games on steam, that I couldn't find on gog. As time goes on they added some of them to the store though, and now you can "mirror" your steam library on gog : they give you the games you already own on steam. I really hope this type of alternative store will catch on and became viable for modern AAA games.
CreeperLava
User

Postby giftfish » 06 Jun 2016, 16:55

Turns out I could still use more screenspace. I can't fit two instances of the toolset, plus Excel, plus all my other modding tools at the same time...

A couple details on this:

1. Windows taskbar is autohiding on the right. Though, with how awesome Task View is on Windows 10 I doubt I'll need the taskbar at all from now on.

2. Rocketdock is autohiding on the left. I use it rather than digging into the start menu. Getting used to Win+S.

3. I'm trying to streamline my modding work, so I put together a small bat file launches all of my most frequently-used modding programs with a single click. Excel is being stubborn for some reason, but other than that it's awesome. Should have done it ages ago.

4. To ease window management I'm using some screen partitioning software that's pretty cool: Windock. It let's you size and locate windows whereever you want on screen and snap them in place with a specific corner, edge, area, etc. Then, it saves those settings to a specific profile, so you can create as many workspaces as you want. Very nice. It's a little twitchy, but highly recommended.

5. For now I'm running each game in the trilogy in 2640x1440 borderless windowed mode. I do a lot of frapsing and screencapping -- often to create BIKs or textures that will be used in game, so it's not really worth it at this point to get everything adjusted for the ultrawide display. Especially when it can include game INI edits to get things running completely smoothly. Ultrawide is totally doable for all 3 titles, though, assuming you use some software like Widescreen Fixer or Flawless Widescreen. For now, I'm ecstatic with the added real estate from a 17", 1920x1080 to a borderless 2640x1440. For the remainder of my games, I'll probably give both programs a try to see which I prefer.

Btw, Here's how the build ended up looking:

I'm **** about cabling, so routing everything both inside and on the other side of the far wall took a good bit of time. I also like to label everything clearly, so it's easier later on when I have to go back in. Plenty of room yet for SLI, which is very likely. Still pondering a sound card. Trying to decide if I like the onboard sound well enough to stick with it. Hoping I can make a decision today, as I need to grab a couple more things off newegg.

Short of the time investment, the build went very well. No DOA parts, nothing unexpected, everything seated well on the first try. It is a heavy, quiet, well-ventilated beast :)
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby CreeperLava » 06 Jun 2016, 19:57

I like to use Dexpot when I'm using a single monitor setup. It's a utility for virtual desktops. Something Linux has already implemented, but Windows is slow to integrate it. Very useful, especially in a 2x2 (= 4 desktops total) grid with keyboard shortcuts like Ctrl-left/right/up/down to navigate it. Not sure how useful it would be with such a big screen, you'd have to try it for yourself.
CreeperLava
User

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic